Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU Question
Quote | Reply
Since the Commonwealth games is using the sprint format, are they also going to use the sprint format in future Olympic games?

https://www.triathlon.org/...ld_coast_commonwealt
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Question [AAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tokyo- I think it's an olympic officially. Do I think it goes way of sprint 2024 and beyond....yes.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I think going to an sprint distance race would do is essentially eliminate anyone from being able to cross over and *be successful* within an season. The training/racing demands that a sprint will create is almost opposite of what the demands for 70.3 have. Now of course a few could do it but overall, it would essentially create a much bigger gap of either you go into draft legal racing or you go into non-draft racing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Question [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastest reply ever. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would do no harm from a spectator/popularity point of view.
Sprint races are far better spectator events in my opinion. Very few people will find medium or long distance triathlon entertaining and even Olympic distance is getting slightly long for this purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are still rumors of Tokyo going to the sprint distance, but it has not yet been publicly confirmed, so as far as we know, it's standard distance (the ITU no longer uses the term olympic distance, which adds further fuel to the fire that the olympics could change...).

I'd love to see like in XC skiing where they flip flop the distances each olympic cycle between skate and classic, one year be standard distance, and the next olympics be sprint distance and alternate that way, while keeping the MTR... That would add to the challenge of trying to defend a title, realizing that the next time the distance will be different.

That said, the sprint races tend to be closer and more action packed, so in terms of TV ratings, they're a better ticket.... but the MTR is likely the golden goose for the sport in terms of a TV friendly format for the olympics... Hopefully it will act just like the introduction of XC ski sprints in terms of getting more eyes on the sport, and being exciting!
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Question [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, don't think it's been confirmed yet. My assumption was they were going to see how commonwealth goes before making their decision.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should do a draft legal Sprint and a NDL long course event ;)

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply