Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Motive
Quote | Reply
Las Vegas. The NY bike path. Sutherland Springs.

The investigators are always searching for motive. To what end? What would we really do with that information? Would we really take action against radical Islam? Would we really allow people to call out crazy people around them without repercussion?

The answers to the above are "no".

It would take one "wrongly accused" individual before the lawyers would be swarming and the phrases racism, Islamaphobia, etc. etc., etc. would be flying.

It would take one "reported-but-not-prevented" incident where people are killed before police departments are sued into oblivion.

However, you should feel free to carry on with this mental masturbation like you 1) care why people do these things (unless they meet your world view) and 2) you are prepared to take actual steps to prevent them in the future (which includes breaking some egg here and there).
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

The investigators are always searching for motive. To what end? What would we really do with that information? Would we really take action against radical Islam? Would we really allow people to call out crazy people around them without repercussion?

It would take one "wrongly accused" individual before the lawyers would be swarming and the phrases racism, Islamaphobia, etc. etc., etc. would be flying.

It would take one "reported-but-not-prevented" incident where people are killed before police departments are sued into oblivion.

However, you should feel free to carry on with this mental masturbation like you 1) care why people do these things (unless they meet your world view) and 2) you are prepared to take actual steps to prevent them in the future (which includes breaking some egg here and there).

Yeah, what could we *possibly* learn from understanding a killer's viewpoint?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Would we really take action against radical Islam? Would we really allow people to call out crazy people around them without repercussion?

Alert to DJRed, we have invaded two countries, and have a worldwide campaign against radical groups. When you say "would we really take action against radical Islam? No." you show yourself to be a complete moron. Back to your mental masturbation.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Nov 6, 17 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark this date down, I agree with you. Never happened before, probably will never happen again.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Would we really take action against radical Islam? Would we really allow people to call out crazy people around them without repercussion?

Alert to DJRed, we have invaded two countries, and have a worldwide campaign against radical groups. When you say "would we really take action against radical Islam? No." you show yourself to be a complete moron. Back to your mental masturbation.

And in the United States (where these attacks are happening) we are doing what?

We argue over what is labeled a "terrorist attack".

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two primary reasons we search for motive in every crime:

1) Prevention.

Only a fraction of planned major crimes are actually committed. The number of would-be mass murders and/or major crimes thwarted by law enforcement is staggering. Motive provides law enforcement with the means to not only prevent crimes, but to capture the perpetrators of said crimes.

The number of killers who were captured using lessons learned from determining motive for such killings is massive. We cannot prevent these acts without knowing what to look for. We cannot capture the perps (see, e.g., the Unibomber), without knowing what to look for. We cannot know that without determining motive.

2) Prosecution.

Motive is not an element of any crime. However, most crimes are tried before a jury and, human nature being what it is, we want to know why someone did what they did. We will accept illogical reasons, so long as a reason is provided. Without a reason, we have trouble grasping the act and accepting the accused actually committed it. It is quite common to hear, despite a mountain of evidence against the accused, a juror say, "Yeah, but why did he do it?" So, when we obtain the motive, we are more apt to find guilt and to assign punishment.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Yeah, what could we *possibly* learn from understanding a killer's viewpoint?

News flash...we're not learning anything that prevents these things. If we are and you can show me the differences between all the attacks that happened before Texas and therefore the reasons why we couldn't see it coming, I'll learn something from you.

The Texas lunatic had guns coming from his ass, he owned tactical gear, and people who knew him say he was "creepy, an outcast, weird, and seemed depressed". He was also one of these angry social media types who dumped on religion. Now I'm no FBI profiler, but this seems like a guy with a propensity to shoot up a church? Or nah?

Unless you are afraid
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

1) Prevention.

Only a fraction of planned major crimes are actually committed. The number of would-be mass murders and/or major crimes thwarted by law enforcement is staggering. Motive provides law enforcement with the means to not only prevent crimes, but to capture the perpetrators of said crimes.

The number of killers who were captured using lessons learned from determining motive for such killings is massive. We cannot prevent these acts without knowing what to look for. We cannot capture the perps (see, e.g., the Unibomber), without knowing what to look for. We cannot know that without determining motive.

2) Prosecution.

Motive is not an element of any crime. However, most crimes are tried before a jury and, human nature being what it is, we want to know why someone did what they did. We will accept illogical reasons, so long as a reason is provided. Without a reason, we have trouble grasping the act and accepting the accused actually committed it. It is quite common to hear, despite a mountain of evidence against the accused, a juror say, "Yeah, but why did he do it?" So, when we obtain the motive, we are more apt to find guilt and to assign punishment.

I'd like to think (1) is actually true. I'm skeptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
JSA wrote:

1) Prevention.

2) Prosecution.

I'd like to think (1) is actually true. I'm skeptical.

Google it and you will find hundreds of source indicating the same, including FBI detailed reports:

WASHINGTON — The FBI has helped to disrupt or prevent nearly 150 shootings and violent attacks this year, in part by steering potential gunmen toward mental health professionals.
There have been hundreds of these disruptions since 2011, Attorney General Eric Holder told an audience of police chiefs in October, touting the behind-the-scenes work of a small FBI unit based out of Quantico, Va. In most cases, the FBI has helped potential offenders get access to mental health care.

http://nypost.com/...in-2013-eric-holder/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When people do something evil that we cannot see ourselves doing, I think it's human nature to want to understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Motive [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
When people do something evil that we cannot see ourselves doing, I think it's human nature to want to understand.

I can live with that.
Quote Reply