Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really related to the current discussion but just thinking out typing.

I've long thought that to have any real gun control we would have to change the 2nd amendment. And after doing some significant reading over the weekend about the history and other proposed language at the time of adoption I think it is even more obvious that the language and original doesn't really work well with today's society, what was going on then is not what we have today. And how we apply it does not jive with what was considered at the time.

So now let's have a constitutional convention to hash out what we want gun rights to look like for the next hundred years. How fun would that be? It could go on for years, neither side having enough support to get their plan ratified, neither willing to give an inch. We could keep our politicians occupied for decades.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If people were using their guns for hours every day there would be more gun deaths than car deaths. It is just not the same. Generally you do almost anything without a gun. (Excepting touring inner cities and most hunting). For many very practical things people do they need a car. I still think the number of deaths by car is unacceptably high in Canada and US.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, the gun isn't a major contributor to the imminent destruction of Earth as a habitable planet for humans, so . . . Yeah.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

So now let's have a constitutional convention to hash out what we want gun rights to look like for the next hundred years. How fun would that be? It could go on for years, neither side having enough support to get their plan ratified, neither willing to give an inch.

Worse. At some point, one side would have the slimmest possible margin required in order to impose their plan, and would.

The problem in my mind isn't just the 2cd Amendment. The problem is that the 2cd Amendment merely codifies a basic human right- to self defense. Not sure how you could repeal/replace the amendment and still allow people the right to defend themselves effectively.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

So now let's have a constitutional convention to hash out what we want gun rights to look like for the next hundred years. How fun would that be? It could go on for years, neither side having enough support to get their plan ratified, neither willing to give an inch.

Worse. At some point, one side would have the slimmest possible margin required in order to impose their plan, and would.

The problem in my mind isn't just the 2cd Amendment. The problem is that the 2cd Amendment merely codifies a basic human right- to self defense. Not sure how you could repeal/replace the amendment and still allow people the right to defend themselves effectively.

That gets repeated over and over in the history. 2nd amendment is close to ideas in the English Bill of Rights and both that and discussion around the US Constitution talk clearly about this not being a new right given to people, simply expressing and guaranteeing it.

Come on man, it would be fun. You may even get to buy that helicopter gunship you've had your eye on what all is said and done. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That gets repeated over and over in the history. 2nd amendment is close to ideas in the English Bill of Rights and both that and discussion around the US Constitution talk clearly about this not being a new right given to people, simply expressing and guaranteeing it.

Yeah, to me, that's basic and fundamental. But it seems like a lot of people don't really buy into the idea.

Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The possibility of drawing parallels between cars and guns makes for some interesting thinking point.

To own and operate a car you need a few things:

1. A license: proving to the state that you are a competent operator. This is required in every state. Is a gun use license required in every state?
2. Ownership and Registration - proving that you own the vehicle and are paying the required taxes to fund vehicle related oversight and administration by the gov't. This is required in every state. Do you need proof of ownership, registered with the state for every gun? Do you pay an annual tax for the right to use that gun?
3. Liability Insurance - to provide restitution in case you mess up. This is required in every state (as far as I know). Are gun owners legally required to carry gun specific liability to pay out the victims of gun crime?

I propose that making the 3 items above mandatory for legal gun ownership would go part way to fixing the problem. The invisible hand of economics will drive the insurance premiums up to the point where owning a gun may be too expensive. It would also carry a different cost for the 40 year old soccer mom carrying a small .38 in her purse and for the 26 year old guy who was kicked out of the military and now wants a AR-15.

Furthermore- every two years I have to get my car inspected by a licensed service shop to make sure it still function properly, hasn't been modified illegally, is still in my possession. If guns are to be regulated at least like cars we should have state DOG offices (Dept. of Guns) where sour looking, soulless bureaucrats perform and validate the above checks.

Its not much, but at least it would be a start.

And none of those 3 things you've pointed out will make a driver operate more safely. Not a single one.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
And none of those 3 things you've pointed out will make a driver operate more safely. Not a single one.

but what are we debating here? isn't it that owning and operating a car is more regulated than owning and operating a gun?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In California, you can own a vehicle without insurance or active tags.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't it that owning and operating a car is more regulated than owning and operating a gun?

It isn't, though.

Buying and owning a car isn't regulated at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
isn't it that owning and operating a car is more regulated than owning and operating a gun?

It isn't, though.

Buying and owning a car isn't regulated at all.

That's not true, at all. Purchasing and selling vehicles is heavily regulated. It's just that it's typically regulated to protect the consumer, not to prevent or limit a person's ability to buy a car. That said, the dealer (if you buy from one) is legally required to provide paperwork to the DMV when you buy a car, which let's them know who owns it, and tips them off to expect you to come register it. If you buy from a private owner, typically you're legally required to provide that type of information/paperwork to the DMV to facilitate you obtaining title and registration. Of course, you get to buy the car first, then do that paperwork, but it's not like there are no laws/regulations at all.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just that it's typically regulated to protect the consumer, not to prevent or limit a person's ability to buy a car.

Fair enough.

That said, the dealer (if you buy from one) is legally required to provide paperwork to the DMV when you buy a car, which let's them know who owns it, and tips them off to expect you to come register it.

Yes. But you don't need to register the car at all. And you don't need to be a licensed driver in order to register the car.

Basically, there's no regulation restricting a person's ability to buy and own a car. Anyone can do it. The regulation, as it pertains to this discussion, is all centered on the use of the car, not purchase, possession, or access.

Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparing cars and guns is illogical. Identify specific laws for cars or guns that you think should be changed rather than comparing apples to oranges. According the CDC roughly 80% of gun homicides are gang related. If you really want to impact gun homicides focus on how to get guns out the hands of criminals.

Here are the stats:
40,200 Car deaths last year
11,008 Gun homicides last year
2,202 Gun homicides that are not gang related.

Sources:
https://www.nytimes.com/...-traffic-safety.html
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

but what are we debating here? isn't it that owning and operating a car is more regulated than owning and operating a gun?

Except in many ways it's not. It isn't criminal to own a vehicle without a licence, it isn't criminal to operate a vehicle without a licence, it isn't even criminal to operate a vehicle without training. All the rules surrounding vehicular operation are traffic offenses. Other than cases where a person intentionally or by impairment injures someone only then does a criminal aspect actually enter the scope of criminality.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
The entire premise that it truly works

If you can point to where that was the premise, then you would be right. But that isn't the premise.

The premise is that ownership and use of a motor vehicle is more heavily controlled and regulated than guns, in America. I don't see that as being untrue. Most are aware of the "gun show" loophole where someone can buy a weapon with no background checks, licence or waiting period.

Let's put it this way. As a non-American (I am British), I am pretty confident that I could come to the US, go to a gun range and very quickly, and easily, have access to a weapon that I could fire. I'm not saying that I could take this weapon away and commit mass murder, but I could certainly get one in a shooting range and cause some pretty horrible injury or death within the confines of the range. With regard to driving, if I didn't have a driving licence, I am not confident at all that I could get hold of a vehicle at all easily. I couldn't hire one and no one in their right mind would let me borrow one. So, even with that very basic (and crude) example, access to cars and vehicles is a lot harder than guns.

Too much liberal media kimosabe, the "gun show loophole" does not exist.

Gun shows are required to submit the same documents and background checks as any gun store. The so called "gun show loophole" is that regular people, the guys in the parking lot, not registered gun sales people, can sell a weapon to another regular person in the gun show parking lot. They can do that in the McDonalds parking lot, the basketball arena parking lot, in a driveway or in front of the police station. It's just "sexier" for the media to call it the "gun show loophole"
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If people were using their guns for hours every day there would be more gun deaths than car deaths. It is just not the same. Generally you do almost anything without a gun. (Excepting touring inner cities and most hunting). For many very practical things people do they need a car. I still think the number of deaths by car is unacceptably high in Canada and US.

Not true, there are thousands of people who "use" firearms daily, they are called law enforcement officers. The average law enforcement officer will go through his entire career and maybe, just maybe, use his or her firearm a couple of times. I was a Federal LE officer working on the southern border and at a seaport doing narcotics enforcement for 10 years and I drew my sidearm exactly 5 times in 10 years and actually fired on someone zero times.

Other than in places like Chicago and a few other big cities that skew the data, my point above is true and taught at most law enforcement academies including the Federal Law Enforcement Academy in Glenco, GA.

On the other hand, I have been in 2 motor vehicle accidents in that time, both the other driver's fault, so the true danger I faced was from other people's cars and not a weapon in my hand or in the hands of other people.
Last edited by: vecchia capra: Nov 8, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The possibility of drawing parallels between cars and guns makes for some interesting thinking point.

To own and operate a car you need a few things:

1. A license: proving to the state that you are a competent operator. This is required in every state. Is a gun use license required in every state?
2. Ownership and Registration - proving that you own the vehicle and are paying the required taxes to fund vehicle related oversight and administration by the gov't. This is required in every state. Do you need proof of ownership, registered with the state for every gun? Do you pay an annual tax for the right to use that gun?
3. Liability Insurance - to provide restitution in case you mess up. This is required in every state (as far as I know). Are gun owners legally required to carry gun specific liability to pay out the victims of gun crime?

I propose that making the 3 items above mandatory for legal gun ownership would go part way to fixing the problem. The invisible hand of economics will drive the insurance premiums up to the point where owning a gun may be too expensive. It would also carry a different cost for the 40 year old soccer mom carrying a small .38 in her purse and for the 26 year old guy who was kicked out of the military and now wants a AR-15.

Furthermore- every two years I have to get my car inspected by a licensed service shop to make sure it still function properly, hasn't been modified illegally, is still in my possession. If guns are to be regulated at least like cars we should have state DOG offices (Dept. of Guns) where sour looking, soulless bureaucrats perform and validate the above checks.

Its not much, but at least it would be a start.

My dad has been in 3 accidents (not his fault) in the last 2 years in Houston. Two of those the other driver didn't have a license, registration or insurance. I'm not sure on the 3rd because the driver drove off probably because he didn't have at least one of those items that are required in Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
My dad has been in 3 accidents (not his fault) in the last 2 years in Houston. Two of those the other driver didn't have a license, registration or insurance. I'm not sure on the 3rd because the driver drove off probably because he didn't have at least one of those items that are required in Texas.

Sorry to hear about your dad's bad fortune, but what point are you trying to make with that tale?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That his proposed 3 rules won’t do anything for people that are going to break the law.
Quote Reply
Re: The United States already 'seriously limits' access to motor vehicles far more than to handguns. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
According the CDC roughly 80% of gun homicides are gang related. If you really want to impact gun homicides focus on how to get guns out the hands of criminals.

+1

If we are going to trample people's Constitutional rights, lets start with the criminals/gang members. Stop and frisk, and warrant less searches of cars/houses in high crime areas.

Get rid of the illegal guns first, and then start worrying about the small number of homicides committed with legally obtained guns.
Quote Reply

Prev Next