Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs?
Quote | Reply
Full results here.

Press release here.

ASU threw down the lowest possible team score to take their second consecutive national championship. Hannah Henry of ASU took the individual victory.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [TransyTriCoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great turnout by fans today and by far good/fair course. The way the course was setup the fans saw the athletes twice per lap. 2nd part of lap was with the climbs and it brought some good challenges.

Congrats to ASU for laying home town smackdown on field!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TransyTriCoach wrote:
Full results here.

Press release here.

Arizona State (ASU) threw down the lowest possible team score to take their second consecutive national championship. Hannah Henry of ASU took the individual victory in the women's race, while Robby Henry of ASU won the men's race.

Filled in the other details for you. Are you prejudiced against men???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see last years champ Erika Ackerlund of Montana in the results. I'm guessing she is focusing on trying to break into ITU?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, pretty much no point in her racing it because she had to attend qualifier race (either central, east or west qualifying race) and this race to defend her title. She raced this past year as her first “full” time itu circuit, so no point really in doing it.

With as many NCAA teams now signed on “club” level athletes will likely be out if not next year, by 2019 for sure.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is ASU still the only offical D1 school?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ASU and East Tenn St are currently only D1 schools.

Yesturday’s team results

D1- ASU
D2- Queens College (Charlotte)
D3- North Central

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 6, 17 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East Tennessee State is also an official D1 school
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not an NCAA sport for men. Therefore that race doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't hold the same significance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we were a little slow on the uptake. we didn't get a release or results (i didn't get anything), so we had to scrounge a bit. but i certainly knew about the race, and we covered it last year. so, we should have had it up quicker.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
It's not an NCAA sport for men. Therefore that race doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't hold the same significance.

Now that you mention it, I remember having read this before on ST but had forgotten. I read ST almost every day but it is kind of hard to keep up with all the nuances of NCAA, ITU, IM, KPR, etc. It would have been worthwhile for the OP to have stated the fact about the men not being an official sport, but still they had a race so he/she could've at least mentioned the men's winner. Also,some other posters have provided a bit more context such as the fact that there are only two official D1 women's teams. So, what would've happened if the lowest net score had been from a club team???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the press release linked to in the OP, there were 11 varsity teams and 10 club teams. Also, I don't think they should have mentioned the men's race. In the context of what the event was, it's completely irrelevant. Just my opinion though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no men’s ncaa race. It was 2 events yesturday. An AG race (men and women) and the NCAA race (women only). Although funny story is that the AG women’s race top 4 were all local pros. It was a DL race so good practice for them.

If an club team would have won, it would have been announced as the winner. 3 out of the top 5 teams were club teams (and got awards). After they did overall, they then broke it down so that each division had its own national “champion”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 6, 17 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
There was no men’s ncaa race. It was 2 events yesterday. An AG race (men and women) and the NCAA race (women only). Although funny story is that the AG women’s race top 4 were all local pros. It was a DL race so good practice for them.

If an club team would have won, it would have been announced as the winner. 3 out of the top 5 teams were club teams (and got awards). After they did overall, they then broke it down so that each division had its own national “champion”.

Thanks for the further explanation. Now that i look very closely at the results, i see USAT National Champs, "Male Citizens", and "Female Citizens". In any case, it was a fairly complex set of events with all the diff categories, so a bit confusing if you weren't there, or at least very familiar with the set-up. I do see now why other posters saw no need to include the male race in the press release.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some strong racing . I have only heard of the 4th placed girl since her dad was a European champ in his day and was the coach of jan frodeno and daniel unger .
I believe she is on a run scholarship and s allowed to do triathlon . Would that be something more club teams are doing ?

Out of interest whats Itu's view on the fact that its only female Naac ?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knoll is a little bit of different case at queens (D2) because queens is a club team in the process of going ncaa with tri. However for this year currently it is still a “club” structure. It wants to go ncaa when it feels necessary but almost all D1 single sport athletes wouldn’t be allowed to compete until they exhausted their eligibility.

It’s also why uga girl who led swim and NC State girl raced D1 “unattached”.

I would guess itu has similiar stance as USAT. Can’t really do anything about it to force ncaa to pick up guys. Non rev sports don’t get picked up by schools generally.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1st and 3rd place ladies have both been racing the ITU circuit as juniors (both are Canadian) as well as events such as the Canada Summer Games, etc.

Apparently next year there will be 18 full varsity programs, so it's unlikely that club teams will be able to participate in the near future.

I'm not sure what the ITU thinks about it, but given that the sport climbed to varsity status through the emerging sports stream, it'll likely stay women's only until they see if the target number of programs are met, and they get ongoing status, after which then potentially we'll see a push for varsity status for males...

Either way, it's good to see this push, and to provide an opportunity for kids to stay in the sport throughout college, and not forced to specialize in a single sport to garner scholarships... will be interesting to see in the next 5-10 years how this affects the depth of American and Canadian talents at the ITU level...
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now, triathlon women only. NCAA is looking for ways to increase opportunities for women to compete in intercollegiate sports to increase compliance Title 9.
It's especially challenging for the colleges with football teams, some of whom carry up to 135 athletes on their rosters. There just aren't any women's sports teams close to that size, so universities need to have more sports teams available.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually title9 compliance isn’t the Avenue imo to get schools to pick up tri. It’s going to take people who get the sport and want to take a chance. Schools can pick up bowling much easier in order to stay title9 compliant, and most schools aren’t having that issue. It’s more about pursuing tri because those student athletes generally increase your academics and prestige. Generally these juniors are very smart and most AD’s are viewing it as a way to increase spotlight not actually worrying about title9.

ETA: but it is under the “emerging sport” side of ncaa.

I think that is one reason you are seeing so many liberal art D2/D3 schools picking it up. It can increase your academic profile by getting stronger academic kids on your campus. That is what is making AD’s think it’s worth while. It also doesn’t help when USAT gives your school good amount of funding to get started.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 6, 17 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If NCAA triathlon want more coverage they have to work for it.
How much outreach to media has NCAA or its schools done?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no coverage of NCAA Triathlon Champs? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlete magazine, pac12 network, as well as Local media (print and tv media) with interviews/coverage.

ST is a terrible gauge of interest from a media standpoint.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just did the coverage. Congrats
Quote Reply