Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica?
Quote | Reply
I have a line on a 1971 Norton 750 Commando fastback, one of the most iconic classic British bikes ever made. In great condition, but damn, its still an old bike and I know all about the frustrations of old British cars, plus that goofy reverse right leg gear shifting and left foot braking.

Also looking at the retro bikes - Triumph Street Cup/Bonneville, Moto Guzzi V7 iii and Royal Enfield is just introducing their new 750cc retro Interceptor at the international motorcycle show in Italy next week. Can't wait to see it.

I'm really tossing this around. I can wait for spring for the retros but the Norton is a pull the trigger now. Advantage of the Norton is that it will appreciate in value but the retros are brand new and pain free and reliable.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get both. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get the Norton for the love of Nortons, for the project, for the garage.
get the Bonneville or Guzzi for riding. come hell or high water, these are very competent all round bikes for every day use, that look like the "real bikes" of our youth, yet have the contemporary attributes that has improves motorcycling out of sight.
Lights that always work, electric start, fuel injection, discs, discs & abs etc etc
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had some older bikes and a couple brand new ones. While I like the older ones and they have a lot of character, riding is something I do in my spare time.
It is nice to just get on a bike, knowing it'll start, having fuel injection so it doesn't have to warm up and not searching for parts if it needs a repair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to own one of the new Bonneville's and it was awesome. I sold it when I had kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New, the idea of an older motorcycle is great but does not live up to it in practice. Check out the new Yamaha XSR700
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with all old bike/ cars/ trucks.... never take them for a longer drive than what you are willing to walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
New, the idea of an older motorcycle is great but does not live up to it in practice. Check out the new Yamaha XSR700

Nice bike but not quite retro looking enough for my taste. Honda has done a great job with the CB1100 but its a bit heavier/more powerful than what I want right now. If Kawasaki would import the W800 to North America I'd be all over it. I figure it'll either be the Triumph, Moto Guzzi or the new edition Royal Enfield as they have nailed the retro look perfectly. If I've got any change left over then I might also get a old bike even as a restoration project. I already have a 2015 535cc Royal Enfield Continental GT cafe racer but the crouched riding position can only be tolerated by my body for about a couple of hours so I need something more upright, plus I'd like a bit more power.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleagain wrote:
As with all old bike/ cars/ trucks.... never take them for a longer drive than what you are willing to walk.

Having been into numerous classic British cars I can testify to that. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://m.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...ber?sc_device=mobile

I think this is awesome

I think they do a "black" version or I saw one on mcn
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
http://m.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/classics/bonneville/2018/bobber?sc_device=mobile

I think this is awesome

I think they do a "black" version or I saw one on mcn[/quote

I sat on one at the dealership. Not really a bobber or cruiser guy, but really liked the Thruxton R.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good looking

Not that this is my thing but i saw this

https://www.google.fr/...-v4-rr-ss-in-detail/

In the summer and its good looking

The other thing I saw last week was bmw' s new carbon track bike. It's an amazing piece of engineering

Your ride outside in winter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

Nice bike but not quite retro looking enough for my taste. Honda has done a great job with the CB1100 but its a bit heavier/more powerful than what I want right now. If Kawasaki would import the W800 to North America I'd be all over it. I figure it'll either be the Triumph, Moto Guzzi or the new edition Royal Enfield as they have nailed the retro look perfectly. If I've got any change left over then I might also get a old bike even as a restoration project. I already have a 2015 535cc Royal Enfield Continental GT cafe racer but the crouched riding position can only be tolerated by my body for about a couple of hours so I need something more upright, plus I'd like a bit more power.

I was going to mention the Honda CB1000EX, I have always liked those. Probably too big but the BMW RnineT is really cool as is the Ducati Scrambler.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
http://m.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/classics/bonneville/2018/bobber?sc_device=mobile

I think this is awesome

I think they do a "black" version or I saw one on mcn

Methinks I've probably made my choice. Royal Enfield just introduced their two new 650's at the big motorcycle show in Italy today. They've nailed "retro" perfectly it seems. Not sure whether to go to the Interceptor or the new Continental GT. Will have to ride each. Leaning towards the Interceptor because then I'd probably also keep my earlier Continental GT (which I've hotted up quite a bit). I had more or less written off Triumph after they went water cooled rather than air cooled. The only serious retro contender for me is the Moto Guzzi V7 iii which I have yet to test ride. I just can`t get into new bikes as they just don`t have the same charm or soul. But then I am old. Guess I`m not the only one who feels the same way judging by the growing retro market of all the manufacturers.

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/twins/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Co guzzi. You haven't lIved until you do a good Italian bike. Former duck owner, and I had to deal with 6v Lucas electrics. Wouldn't change for a moment

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Co guzzi. You haven't lIved until you do a good Italian bike. Former duck owner, and I had to deal with 6v Lucas electrics. Wouldn't change for a moment

I agree. You haven't lived until you've done things Italian (my 1st wife was Italian) but its the old FIAT principle - Fix It Again Tony::-) The Moto Guzzi V7iii is the main challenger. But then again I tend to British orientated after living there for a couple of years in my 20's and having a mom born there (even if the RE bikes are now made in India:-) It will be a choice between the MG and RE for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want to ride, or do you want to tinker?

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
V7 guzzi isn't that bad for maintenance. At least you don't have desmo. They really are pretty easy to work on.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Do you want to ride, or do you want to tinker?

I decided I want to ride. That's why I'm going retro new and not with the Norton.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy an old motorcycle or a retro replica? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
V7 guzzi isn't that bad for maintenance. At least you don't have desmo. They really are pretty easy to work on.

Do you realize I'm talking about the new retro V7 Guzzi and not an old classic? Still very easy to work on compared to new bikes since its retro technology. Sort of like almost having a brand new classic bike if you ignore modern disc brakes, fuel injection, and electronic ignition. They've done a great job of bringing the past into the future but updating where it counts.

http://www.motoguzzi-canada.ca/...ii-anniversario.html
Quote Reply