Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Thor - Ragnarok
Quote | Reply
Some others have already posted their opinions on the movie, but I'll go ahead and do a review.

Thor - Ragnarok is the best of the Thor-centric films. With a fresher, lighter, funnier tone, Ragnarok gives us a more likable Thor character who is able to carry a movie without seeming stuffy and arrogant. Mix that with some Hulk as a buddy/rival, some Loki in a softened somewhat good guy role, and a handful of other decent characters, and you've got a successful Marvel movie that's more in the vein of Guardians or Avengers than Civil War or even Dark World.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) has been searching for Infinity Stones and chasing down rumors since leaving Earth at the end of Age of Ultron. As he's been traveling, he's been having nightmares of Ragnarok, the apocalypse of Asgard. When he returns home to find Loki (Tom Hiddleston) on the throne in disguise and Odin exiled, he takes his brother to Earth to find the deposed king. Once the family is reunited, Odin tells Thor and Loki that the real threat to Asgard is imminent, in the form of Hela, Goddess of Death (Cate Blanchett). Hela arrives, and the God of Thunder is clearly outmatched. Cast out, he finds himself prisoner in the clutches of a mad man running a gladiator style Contest of Champions. Thor must escape from this new world, rescue lost friends, recruit new warriors, and return to Asgard to save his home and his people.

Ragnarok is a fast paced, funny, action packed film. Hemsworth is funny and this movie stresses the comedy part of action/comedy a lot more than previous Thor films. There is some good banter between Hulk/Banner and Thor, and seeing Thor suffer a string of indignities brings the character down to Earth. There are also some funny cameos aside from the normal Stan Lee. Blanchett is good as Hela, Jeff Goldblum is well cast as the odd Grandmaster, and Tessa Thompson does a good job as Valkyrie. There are also a variety of smaller characters that bring good comedy, including one CGI gladiator voiced by the film's director. The plot is reasonably straightforward, as you would expect in a comic movie, but it moves well and only leaves one significant hole at the end.

Ragnarok is pretty violent. It's typical Marvel so there's no guts or gore, but there's a lot of killing, fiery demons, etc. There were a lot of young kids at the theater when I saw the movie, and there were a couple crying and wanting to leave within the first few minutes. There's no sex or foul language.

Overall, Thor - Ragnarok was a really enjoyable action comedy, and the most entertaining of the Thor films. Highly recommended if you liked Guardians of the Galaxy, or obviously, if you're into the Marvel movies.

There are a couple of mid/post credits scenes. They're not mind blowing, but if you're a big fan of the MCU, you'll probably want to see them anyway.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Thor - Ragnarok [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Natalie Portman in this one? I forget where Thor left her in prior movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Thor - Ragnarok [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

No Portman. There's a quick joke about who dumped whom.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Nov 5, 17 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

No Portman. There's a quick joke about who dumped whom.

OK, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 16 year old son liked the movie and that's what counts in my world.

The tie-in with Dr Strange is nice - gotta love never ending beer steins :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched this yesterday. Loved it, funniest film I've seen in a long, long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it yesterday and really liked it. A funny thing is that often times, it's like watching an 80s movie with good SFX. The costumes, decors etc. were really 80s like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got to see this over the weekend.
Definitely the best Thor movie out and I'd put it in the Top 10 of Marvel, but maybe around 9 or 10.

Really enjoyed the laughs, Marvel definitely has the formula for bringing humor into the superhero movie genre down.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Thor - Ragnarok [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Finally got to see this over the weekend.
Definitely the best Thor movie out and I'd put it in the Top 10 of Marvel, but maybe around 9 or 10.

Really enjoyed the laughs, Marvel definitely has the formula for bringing humor into the superhero movie genre down.

I'm with you. "The Avengers" was the powerhouse blockbuster of the MCU but this one really played for the laughs in a good-natured way, indicating that not everything had to be Sturm und Drang with Thor and his part of the MCU. I'd actually pay to see it again, it was that much of a fun romp. And I loved that Led Zep's "Immigrant Song" got TWO plays during the movie, and both were perfectly placed.

Cate Blanchett played her part to perfection (so did Karl Urban, who had the predictable redemptive moment that fit in just right with the sequence being played out at that time). Tessa Thompson was also excellent, and Jeff Goldblum did his patented Jeff Goldblum thing. In a way, Goldblum's like the white version of Samuel L. Jackson who, as others here in the LR have noted previously, always plays Samuel L. Jackson no matter the movie vehicle. Nothing wrong with that when you're as good at it as Jeff G. and Samuel L. are. LOL!

All-around, well-worth a full-price ticket. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 20, 17 6:55
Quote Reply