Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon
Quote | Reply
Man, she ran away with it!

First American women's winning in 40 years!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SOOO happy for her! First American Woman to win in 40 years!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was awesome to watch! She was a machine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really awesome, 7 years after finishing second by just 20 seconds.

She did an interview with Flo Track where she said if she won she'd consider retiring as it'd be the perfect way to end her career. It'll be interesting to see if she decides to do that.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She’s from Marblehead. I bet she takes one more shot at Boston, then retires. She missed/skipped the race the last two years.

She deserves a big championship. She is a strong advocate for running clean—not shy to express her feelings about cheaters.

It always feels like she races to win, not just place well.
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the last mile inside Central Park, while the other to women were falling apart, she looked like she was running a 400!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
In the last mile inside Central Park, while the other to women were falling apart, she looked like she was running a 400!

Agree - she accelerated every mile from a 5:37 mile at 20 to have 5:03 at mile 25. Such an impressive performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Anyone else hear the comments around mile 21? The ESPN commentators said something to the effect that although she was up there but she seemed to be lacking...

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
She’s from Marblehead. I bet she takes one more shot at Boston, then retires. She missed/skipped the race the last two years.

She deserves a big championship. She is a strong advocate for running clean—not shy to express her feelings about cheaters.

It always feels like she races to win, not just place well.

they mentioned Jared Shoemaker on ESPN but I was not paying attention. It sounded like he is her coach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a refreshing change of emphasis the women's race is a bigger story than the men's. Did everyone get such a big bib or did it depend on how long your name was? I've never seen a race number thingy so big.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:

they mentioned Jared Shoemaker on ESPN but I was not paying attention. It sounded like he is her coach?

You misheard it slightly (or they mispronounced it). Her coach is Jerry Schumacher. He ran for Wisconsin and then coached there for a few years. He is now the coach of the Portland based Bowman Track Club.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Nov 5, 17 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And she looked great doing it!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's especially impressive, given that wasn't a particularly fast day... at least for me.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

It always feels like she races to win, not just place well.[/quote

Big fan, have followed her career since high school where I'd see her at all the state XC meets, way ahead of the rest of the pack. Great win today.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a regular sized bib, she's just that tiny ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get to run today, but I spectated. Glad I wasn't running today. Had a lot of fun and got to see both Shalane and Meb finish. Wouldn't have missed that for anything. Shalane winning was a big surprise for me. I figured she'd hang around the lead pack, and fade in the late miles for a finish somewhere between 3 and 7. Wondering if Keitany is a little injured or just miscalculated. There was a lot of talk she was in shape to take a run at the course record. She kept the pace manageable and paid for it in the late miles.

Wife and I debated Shalane's place in history on the way home, where she ranks among the best female US marathoners.

Been a big Meb fan for a while now so seeing his last professional race in person was great. So happy he ran a fairly good time. I was fearing he'd run high 2:20's. For me, Meb's easily the greatest American marathoner ever.

So, yeah, great day. Hopefully, I get back to NY in the next year or three as a competitor.
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
In a refreshing change of emphasis the women's race is a bigger story than the men's. Did everyone get such a big bib or did it depend on how long your name was? I've never seen a race number thingy so big.

They are no longer called bibs, they are now smocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to take away from what Shalane did but a bit about her coach... Jerry is one of the most unassuming generous people I’ve ever known. Had the honor of running with him in high school. Watched him win 3 state championships (800, mile and 2 mile) including setting the state record in the 800 and then the 2 mile in trainers due to blisters. Awe-inspiring for a freshman to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great day to be a Tar Heel!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been impressed by him in interviews and he has had quite a bit of success with his athletes both at Wisconsin and on the Olympic level. If I wa a professional distance runner is want him to be my coach.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:

You misheard it slightly (or they mispronounced it). Her coach is Jerry Schumacher. He ran for Wisconsin and then coached there for a few years. He is now the coach of the Portland based Bowman Track Club.

It's actually Bowerman Track Club.
Quote Reply
Re: Shalane Flanagan, NYC Marathon [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learning so much these days :)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply