Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Run with or against traffic [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless of the law, I've always been of the mindset that not getting hit by a car is 51% my responsibility, and 49% the other driver. Even on trails, I generally run on the side of the trail that would be "into traffic" in case I come upon some cyclists. I've probably had more close calls over the years dodging bicyclists who come up behind me and pass without alerting me than I have with motorists.
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running against traffic is definitely safer with few exceptions, but is running with traffic really less safe than biking with traffic? Either way you're going to get splattered from behind with nothing you can do about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
Running against traffic is definitely safer with few exceptions, but is running with traffic really less safe than biking with traffic? Either way you're going to get splattered from behind with nothing you can do about it.

Good point, I guess nobody has looked at it yet.

Can you jump backwards or over a 3 foot guardrail with your bike?

Also, bikes are by definition vehicles (and not toys).

And yes,I do feel more vulnerable on a bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my thought. Is there a study that actually proves this (granted, I didn't even attempt Google). We do lots of things as a society that we think are the best way to do things that really aren't.

Also, I spent 17hours in the car this weekend and listened to lots of podcasts. Maybe too much Malcolm Gladwell...
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get what your point is. Running against traffic is smart because you have a chance of jumping out of the way if a car is swerving into you.

My question was is running with traffic less safe than biking with traffic because you are blind both ways. Biking against traffic is clearly a stupid idea for many reasons. And no, sorry, I'm not a trials rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always against, unless it's a blind bend where I switch sides momentarily (UK country roads with hedgerows). I want to be able to see cars coming and dive into the verge if they haven't seen me (distracted) for some reason. When I see people with earphones in, running with the traffic, I think they must have a death wish.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the event of Dedicated Bike Lanes and runner, cyclists and car traffic mix.

I don't experience this very often, but a coastal town we visit with beachfront hwy and dedicated bike lanes on either side I sure appreciate when runners run against the flow of cars and bike when using the bike lane. At times when approaching runners going with the flow and wearing headphones taking the full bike lane forces cyclists out into the highway into traffic. As a cyclist it is harder to see back to make sure it is clear with fast moving traffic. Whereas, I certainly appreciate runners coming toward cyclists because they often will move over toward traffic because they have better sight for traffic or move toward the grass giving the cyclists freedom to move through.

Fortunately I only experience this occasionally so this is not a gripe. Just a hint that I appreciate those who are considerate. :-)
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Nov 6, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Run with or against traffic [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always against. Only idiots run with traffic, because you cannot see what is coming at you. Running against traffic has probably save my life from idiot drivers a number of times.

Also, I believe in most places if not all that legally you are supposed to go against traffic on your feet and go with traffic on wheels. Amazes me how many people I see that walk/run with traffic and ride against traffic.

Only exception I would have is going into a blind turn that has practically no shoulder (obviously when no sidewalk exists), for that short distance usually safer to cross the road till you are past, so the drivers coming around the corner can see you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next