Re: FTP improvement, now what? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad.

You're welcome.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep doing what you are doing, until it stops working. You might not be sustaining the volume where sweet spot work will benefit you for much longer, but the VO2 and threshold work IS the work. Keep at it. Test often, every 6-8 weeks at this point.

Also, round your FTP down to the nearest 5 or 10. (Or round up if you want to challenge yourself) Don't kid yourself and think you can determine your FTP down to a single digit. It's not meant to be that precise.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP improvement, now what? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Keep doing what you are doing, until it stops working.

This.

Also, think about when and how you want to start integrating running into your training. It may be benificial to start running at very low mileage pretty early in the year and slowly build from there. 10 mpw running won’t negatively impact your bike training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
one day of sweet sport intervals of 8-10 minutes each,

Well done on the nice improvement so far. I'm wondering what IF you're riding your sweet spot intervals at. If it's on the lower end of the range i.e. .85 to .90 I can't see any reason not just bang out an hour straight with no rest breaks. If you're doing them at an IF of .95 then 20 minutes with a couple of minutes easy in between ought to be doable.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Nov 5, 17 5:35
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
IF for my power test was 1.27
I'm
New to power so not sure what the significance of that number is

IF stands for intensity factor which is the decimal portion of FTP one works at for a given period. So if your FTP was 200 watts and you did a interval at 150 watts its the IF of that interval would be .75. If you only held 100 watts the IF for that interval would be .50.

So new question. What FTP test did you do i.e. a 20 minute test prorated at 95% to estimate FTP? An 8 minute test? A 40 time trial? I guess based on you saying the IF of your test was 1.27 that it may have been an 8 minute test?

Also what wattage are you doing your sweet spot intervals at?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I did a 30 minute warmup, then 3 minutes all out, then 5 minutes easy, then a 20 minute test. I averaged 254 watts for the test.

OK and what wattage are you holding when doing your 8 to 20 minutes of Sweet Spot?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: FTP improvement, now what? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Trainerroad.

You're welcome.

Yep.

Just do this. Lots.
Quote Reply