Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Real world gains, upgrade Shiv?
Quote | Reply
Weighing up the cost/benefit of upgrading my Shiv (Tri). Currently have it reasonably optimised, with better base bar (3T Vola Stealth), TR front brake etc. Believe I have a position that is at least in the OK range (5:18 @ Kona this year on 180W avg), and fit coordinates aside...What kind of time savings would I likely see from some of the newer non-integrated bikes (e.g. Canyon CF 8, Felt IA10) and then the more integrated ones (but not top of the range) like the Canyon SLX, P5, IA2, Scott Plasma etc.

Realise it comes down to each individuals willingness to drop $$ vs. perceived benefit, and I know working on improving bike power etc. in general is of greater benefit, but can anyone give me some real world #'s to help compare?
Quote Reply
Re: Real world gains, upgrade Shiv? [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An optimized Shiv only gives up about 5-6watts to an optimized Speed Concept in my experience. The Shiv is still a great long course bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep the Shiv and just train more. Wait and see what bikes come out next year before making a decision.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:
Weighing up the cost/benefit of upgrading my Shiv (Tri). Currently have it reasonably optimised, with better base bar (3T Vola Stealth), TR front brake etc. Believe I have a position that is at least in the OK range (5:18 @ Kona this year on 180W avg), and fit coordinates aside...What kind of time savings would I likely see from some of the newer non-integrated bikes (e.g. Canyon CF 8, Felt IA10) and then the more integrated ones (but not top of the range) like the Canyon SLX, P5, IA2, Scott Plasma etc.

Realise it comes down to each individuals willingness to drop $$ vs. perceived benefit, and I know working on improving bike power etc. in general is of greater benefit, but can anyone give me some real world #'s to help compare?

There was a good post by Jim Manton about the Shiv Tri, which basically says the bike is so short and tall that they can't fit most people on it. If you want to be faster and are considering a new bike, you would be nuts to not get a decent aero fit. It is way cheaper and more beneficial than some new toys.

The P5-6 and SC seem to be a consistent improvement of 3-5 watts over most other bikes, but a good fit and optimized helmet selection is worth 20-30 watts. Fly out and do a fit and track testing. Maybe do a Premier Tactical if your Shiv won't do a fast position. Test before and after and let us know how many watts you saved..
Quote Reply