Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Brined and spatchcocked. Alton Brown has a great recipe.

I second the Alton Brown recipe. I don't brine in a cooler though. I put it in an oven bag and seal it then leave it in the fridge. I usually le it sit in the brine for a couple of days. I'm also a fan of butter under the skin and cooking stuffing in the turkey.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?...well the short answer is that's how I learned (via an Alton Brown recipe).

However, I frequently do multiple birds. And it is more trouble to repeat the temperature profile on subsequent birds. As a result, I have cooked birds both starting low and high. I prefer the birds cooked starting low as they seem to cook more evenly between the breast and legs. typically when starting at 325, the breast will be done (150) before the legs are fully cooked (170). At which point I have to either overcook the breast or do something like suspend the bird halfway out of the oil to only cook the legs/thighs. Both sub-optimal choices.

Starting low is also "safer" because there is a much lower chance of a boil over as the bird is lowered into the oil. I always check the body cavity and neck for any lodged ice or pockets of water. But, that is always my largest concern when turkey frying. The oil foams, but not anywhere like it does at 325-350. I also turn off the burner while lowering the bird.

The dramatic temperature drop can be mitigated (somewhat) by ensuring the bird is at or near room temp prior to cooking. I remove the bird from the brine in the morning and let it sit, covered, until cooking time (several hours). This also helps ensure there is no hidden ice or water pockets in the carcase/neck.

Oh. I also use a turkey derrick (google it if you don't know), but that is really more about the spectacle, and an excuse to have a little fun. The ladies like to laugh at the ridiculousness of Mr. safety---I notice that they still request the method every year. However, it is quite handy, too.
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:

I haven't spatchcocked a turkey, yet. Most other kinds of fowl, but not anything as big as a turkey.
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:

I don't brine in a cooler though. I put it in an oven bag and seal it then leave it in the fridge. I usually le it sit in the brine for a couple of days. .

You have room in your fridge for a turkey for 2-3 days? I have multiple round coolers just so that I can brine multiple turkeys. I can't fit one turkey in my fridge...let alone 2-3.

edwinj wrote:

I'm also a fan of butter under the skin and cooking stuffing in the turkey

erm. Stuffing is evil! :-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 8, 17 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
edwinj wrote:

I don't brine in a cooler though. I put it in an oven bag and seal it then leave it in the fridge. I usually le it sit in the brine for a couple of days. .

You have room in your fridge for a turkey for 2-3 days? I have multiple round coolers just so that I can brine multiple turkeys. I can't fit one turkey in my fridge...let alone 2-3.

edwinj wrote:

I clear out the bottom shelf. We have a standard size side by side.

I love me some oyster stuffing.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:

As do we (side-by-side that is)....if I did that, I'd have to put THAT into a cooler. :-) So I save the step.

We have three kinds of stuffing, including oyster. But, we put it in a 9x13 baking dish and call it dressing. :-) the next day, it gets sliced into 1/2" thick slices, battered and fried. Then we call it a sandwich.
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
ttocsmi wrote:

I haven't spatchcocked a turkey, yet. Most other kinds of fowl, but not anything as big as a turkey.

Make sure to use poultry shears to cut through the bones/spine and not an expensive Japanese paring knife.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I brine mine for 12-16-18hours or so, depending if I remember it's in the brine or not.

Then I smoke it. Get the coals going, put a water pan (I fill it with apple juice and shitty beer (aka IPA's and sometimes a Guinness or 3)). Throw some wood on top of the coals that's been soaking (usually use mesquite or citrus) in water for 6-8h. Creates a ton of smoke, a smoke layer that penetrates almost 1.5 inches in the bird. Just make sure to refill the water pan so the bird stays moist. I typically baste it a few times as well.

On a side note we often do ribs for an appetizer as well.

Best turkey you're going to have plus all the neighbors can smell the goodness and be jealous

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
edwinj wrote:

edwinj wrote:

What's your oyster recipe?
Quote Reply
Re: How to cook an f'ing turkey. [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of all things Meathead Goldwyn so I would follow this to a "T" if you're able:

http://amazingribs.com/...e_smoked_turkey.html

I'm sold on his dry brine vs wet brine approach. I dry brine everything now....

Quote Reply

Prev Next