Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race
Quote | Reply
considering making the jump from short course to 70.3 next season, and looking at either Eagleman or Raleigh...mainly because of logistics/proximity. leaning towards Raleigh mainly because I've heard horror stories about the heat/humidity at Eagleman (although Raleigh must be hot that time of year too). any thoughts on which race would be a better first time race at that distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither. There was a post just this week (can't remember the thread) about how terrible Raleigh is (heat). If it's one of those two, just pick whatever is easier for you logistically, whichever speaks to you the loudest, and adjust expectations according to the conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Terrible" is going a bit too far. Raleigh is a great race. Well run.

It *IS* brutally hot. But that's the nature of this sport. It's hard to find a race that isn't going to be at least threatened by heat.

Between Eagleman and Raleigh, well, you are going to get a hot day either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I guess Raleigh may not be a great option either. was looking at times there and it looked like people generally went faster than eagleman - I could be wrong or it could have been for a million different reasons. I'm not totally set on either of them, but was hoping for a decent race I could drive too from the DC area.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had to choose between those, I would go with Raleigh myself knowing it could be a sufferfest. Eagleman looks boring and hot. BTW, I found the post on Raleigh ... from B Doughtie in this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iathlon%3F_P6463907/

"There is 1 race I tell my athletes not to do and that's the local 70.3 here in Raleigh, and I tell them specifically because of the weather. 1st weekend of June is a stupid ass time to have a race in our humid and hot conditions, and I've never really understood why they don't move the race 3 weeks back into early May (if the alternative is as many have stated, Raleigh 70.3 will go away at end of their contract). I've just seen far too many athletes suffer on that course and in general not have fun, and especially as now the "newness" factor of racing a 70.3 in your home town has completely eroded away. At this point that race leads to a "meh" response by a lot of locals (even if they end up signing up to do it). What's funny about it, is ever since about 2014, the running joke is that you know summer has hit when it's Raleigh 70.3 race week because in the past few years May has been reasonably "mild" and then BOOM race week and temps go from mid 70's to highs of 89-92, etc. I don't know if that pussification or finally understanding suffering works to a point. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not look at Chattanooga? Did my first full there this year and the town, volunteer support, venue, and courses were awesome! Haven't done the half there (it is now on my list though) but the bike course is similar to the full and the run doesn't include the killer hills on the back half of the full course. I'm from just outside of Philly and drove down - wasn't bad, maybe 11 hrs. For you it would be at least 2 hrs less. Bunch of hotels w/in easy walking distance of transition and expo too. Cool downtown area.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. that's an option that i'll look into. possibly Atlantic City also but was thinking something earlier in the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would choose one based on course structure, as compared to your strength and training. if you dont mind heat, stay south, dont mind hills, look in those areas. choose one that is easy to travel to as well. IM70.3 Atlantic City is run extremely well and the course isnt too bad. very flat. run is about 80% on a board walk so easy on the legs. there are some good non IM ones as well. Rev3 puts on nice races. williamsburg isnt far from you, but may not be wetsuit legal. there's quassy in CT early season but its VERY hilly.

seems like logistics is a big factor, how far are you from atlantic city? i highly recommend that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. I did the rev 3 Williamsburg oly distance this year...you're right, they put on nice races. I'm less than 4 hrs from AC, so that's looking like a good option. thx for the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 halfs so far, my first back in 2007 (Great Buckeye Challenge in Ohio in August) and then Eagleman this year. Took a bunch of years off after 2007 and this was my first full season back into triathlon. So essentially, I consider it as though i've done two 'first' halfs. Eagleman was an awesome race in every way, except for the heat. I think the problem with Eagleman (and probably Raleigh too) is that almost all of your training and preparations will be in cold/cooler weather. I live in SW Pennsylvania, so we probably have fairly similar weather. My body was simply not in any way ready for the shock of upper 80/90 degree temperatures. My last training run several days before leaving for Eagleman, the temp was in the low 60's.

The race I did back in 2007, the temps got up into the mid 80's, but I do not recall the heat being as taxing on me. Most likely because I had most of the summer of training and acclimating to the heat.

You could roll the dice and do either of them and you could luck out and hit cooler temps, but for whatever reason, that rarely happens with Eagleman and from the sounds of it Raleigh too.

My suggestion would be to look for something later in the season when you'll be better prepared to deal with the heat. Or do either of those races and adjust your effort/expectations based on the weather you get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OBX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, pick the worse, hardest, most miserable 70.3 you can find and do that one. Any 70.3 you do after that will feel like a walk in the park. Swim in mud against a current, ride on hills so hard you walk your bike, and then fall apart on the run (which, of course, might kill you), and then finish anyway - LAST! You'll be set for life.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Seriously, pick the worse, hardest, most miserable 70.3 you can find and do that one. Any 70.3 you do after that will feel like a walk in the park. Swim in mud against a current, ride on hills so hard you walk your bike, and then fall apart on the run (which, of course, might kill you), and then finish anyway - LAST! You'll be set for life.

^This!. I picked St. George as my first and that year (2016) we got hit with freezing rain during the bike. It was quite the experience!
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on choosing first 70.3 race [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Atlantic City is very flat and very fast, but as you mentioned, pretty late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like you're over thinking it. Go in and get your first race out of the way
Quote Reply