Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with excessive leg tightness-After running only
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions regarding the condition I wind up in only after running, cycling is fine. Here are the bullet points:
Knee pain only when running, crazy tightness in calves and IT bad immediately when starting to run, tightness takes a couple of weeks to work out. Might be causing knee pain. What causes the abnormally quick and long lasting leg tightness/knots?

This is the long version:
1. It started a year ago when I was running with zero pain or tightness issues and then started playing in a rec volleyball league for 2-3 hours one day per week with little to moderate jumping, but I jump off one leg (the one that has the issue).

2. I developed a knee pain that was painful to walk after running and lasted for several weeks after which I could walk or ride a bike again without pain. During this time, entire leg seemed to be in rigor or knotted up. Foam rolling, ART, and massage would slowly get me back to normal walking after about 2 weeks. Never had any swelling. When I run my muscles are overly tight. If I stop at a red light for a few seconds, my calves instantly tighten up to almost cramp level. When I take off again, I have to start slowly and they will stretch out enough to run again

3. Went to 2 orthopedists and a p.t. . No MRI, but mechanical testing in office suggested there was no damage, only soft tissue imbalance. X-rays show nice wide parallel gaps between bones.

4. I gave been off running for almost a year. During the year, if I tried to run, I felt knee pain come on right away so I stopped.

5. During the year, I continue to mountain and road cycle with no problems. Can go several hours and I am fine.

6. When I start to run, my leg muscles almost instantly start to tighten – right calve, right IT band, right quad. As I run, knee pain comes and goes.

7. Last night I decided I was going to try and run 2 miles and either make it through or cock up my knee good enough to get an MRI. I ran a rolling hill route and the knee pain came and went, but was gone by the time I finished. Upon finishing, my calve was knotted up, IT band tight and quad very tight.

8. I stretched and rolled immediately after but could tell that the knots where going to stay awhile. This morning – no knee pain, calve has a knot that will not go away (have rolled/massages it about every 2 hours and IT band is way too tight.

I am trying to determine if my problem is mechanical, biomechanical, metabolic, anatomical…..
Any thoughts are appreciated
Last edited by: tim: Nov 4, 17 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: Help with excessive leg tightness-After running only [tim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you're looking in the right place for help. Doctors or sports physio is what you need.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really interesting.
Do glute strengthening exercises - that can take pressure off the IT band.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Help with excessive leg tightness-After running only [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing the glute strengthening and hip flexor stretching. That and foam rolling helps get rid of IT band faster. The gastroc and upper achiles tightness/knots take a long time to work out. The 2 miles I ran last night will have me hobbling around for days and then soreness for another week or so. I can't figure out how it comes on so fast and stays so long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the poor mans massage. Kicking in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could it be shoe-related?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get excessive tightness due to have stiff big toes joints which seems to put extra tension on the ligaments etc in the lower legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had something like this a few years ago. Right calf and hamstring super tight soon as I started running. Would loosen up a bit during the run. Stretched legs afterward but right leg as always really tight. Massage would work a bit but wouldn't last. Wasn't too much of a problem on the bike.

Ended up going to a chiropractor. Said hips were tight. When laying on my stomach, right leg was 3/4" shorter than left leg. Had 3-4 appt. over a few weeks, cracking back, hips, etc. Been fine every since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? I'd suggest seeking out and working with a expert that can trouble shoot your issue by examining your flexibility and running form.

Even though you are pain free when cycling, cycling could be making the issue worse.

When I started training again several years back after a long layoff from all types of training I would get lower legs injuries from running. Knots in calves that would take weeks of no running and foam rolling to disappear. Pain in and around the achilles. For 6 months I stopped running and only biked and I had none of these issues. When I started to add running back in, the lower leg injuries came back quickly.

I went to a flexibility and movement expert, and his solution was a series of hip stretches, no biking at all, and 30 minutes of running every day until I was pain free. It worked, and within a year I was running 10 miles a day injury free, something I hadn't done in over 10 years.

I'm not saying the same thing will work for you, but you have to consider that the biking could be making things worse. Seek out knowledgeable experts until you find someone that can fix you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with excessive leg tightness-After running only [run2tri80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your case sounds very similar to what I am experiencing.
I am working on the hip flexibilty and realize the cycling is likely the culprit that got me in this mess. For years, I trained to do the long course stuff and had to go right to work after a training ride or run. Not stretching ever. Ride, shower and then more sitting position at work. When this tightness thing came on, I was not riding much at all, only running. I am in Orange County, Ca so I will look for a better sports physio person. I have been to the p.t. that the orthopedist recommended and then another one, and then a ART person. Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. Most of us with a job probably sit way too much in our lives between commuting, sitting at a desk at work, and the couch at night.

Again, I don't know what the solution is for you, but you may want to stop biking for a bit and focus on getting healthy while running. Also, get a stand up desk and make sure you're sitting correctly.

PM me if you're interested in a recommendation on a physio within driving distance. I'm on the East Coast, but a close friend of mine that is a former professional runner knows several people on the West Coast.
Quote Reply