Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seized bolts on a Hed Vantage 8 - am I screwed or what?
Quote | Reply
Good news: I'm coming back to tri after a few years off; let me dust off my bike and adjust my fit...

Better news: This Hed Vantage 8 aerobar is sweet! I'd forgotten how cool it looks.

Bad news: all the bolts on it are seized, so I can't adjust anything...

Worse news: I took an allen wrench to it, and managed to snap off 2 bolt heads and round off 3 others. I am a dumbass. Beer may have been involved.

I could try drilling out the bolts I guess, and maybe replacing them. Has anyone out there had success doing that, or should I just give and start over? All advice gratefully received.

Bigshoes
Quote Reply
Re: Seized bolts on a Hed Vantage 8 - am I screwed or what? [bigshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the three bolts that stripped, you can cut a slot across the head and try using a flat blade screwdriver to remove them.
Quote Reply
Re: Seized bolts on a Hed Vantage 8 - am I screwed or what? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
On the three bolts that stripped, you can cut a slot across the head and try using a flat blade screwdriver to remove them.

If you're lucky, Jim's advice may work. Before doing anything, I'd put a bunch of Liquid Wrench (or PB Blaster if it's available in your area) on all the fasteners and let that soak for a day or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Seized bolts on a Hed Vantage 8 - am I screwed or what? [bigshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stripped bolts on my aerobars as well, and the metal was too soft to do Jim's suggestion. I have had success drilling out bolts and replacing them. This was on an old vision bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update - I'm screwed. I managed to drill out 2 bolts successfully, but snapped one of the pad holder arms working on the 3rd. Thanks for all the advice; next time maybe I won't let it go 4 years without unbolting and retightening the hardware...
Quote Reply