Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orleans in two weeks. Live music?
Quote | Reply
We are staying in the French Quarter a few blocks off Bourbon. Looking for live music venues, preferably not tourist places. We went ten years ago and asked waiters and bartenders where they go, and that was fairly successful. We did end up lost on foot one night at about 3am in a sketchy part of town, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

There was a good thread a few months ago listing good restaurants and bars. I will be using your good info, so thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still a sucker for Maple Leaf and Tipitina's (Jacques Imo's for dinner if Maple Leaf and Miss May's or Fat Harry's [depending on your comfortability in a dive bar] if Tip's).
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think dive bars are the best. Since I don't know NO that we'll, finding them is the problem. Most likely we'll just wander around and listen for music. Miss May's and Fat Harry's, those are dive bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I think dive bars are the best. Since I don't know NO that we'll, finding them is the problem. Most likely we'll just wander around and listen for music. Miss May's and Fat Harry's, those are dive bars?

Miss Mays is a dive bar, Fats is a regular bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat Harry's if it is nice out to hang out with the doors/windows open! Be careful north and south of saint charles late at night.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipS wrote:
Fat Harry's if it is nice out to hang out with the doors/windows open! Be careful north and south of saint charles late at night.

If you want to sit outside go to Columns instead of Fats.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You you mind elaborating on your warning? We plan on having dinner at the Commanders Palace one night, and I see from the map it is south of Saint Charles.

We are staying on Chartres St in the French 1/4, and was hoping to be mostly on foot looking for bars and music. Good or bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to go to Maple Leaf when I was 16 back in the early 80's, I saw some great gigs there. If he's staying in the quarter then he could take a nice street car ride to the Maple Leaf, It's easy to know when to get off, it's when St. Charles and Carrollton meet.

Good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there 6 or so years ago and then spent a Friday there last year. Bourbon Street is mostly rock cover bands or DJs. I was told to go to French Street (not far away) where they have a couple of small jazz clubs.

Definitely check out Preservation Hall, right off of Bourbon. There's a line, but you'll probably get through it in an hour. You'll only be inside for 20 minutes or so, but its some good old fashoined New Orleans Jazz in a really old building. Its touristy, but its good.

Also, the steam boat had a decent dixie band on it. Again, touristy.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
You you mind elaborating on your warning? We plan on having dinner at the Commanders Palace one night, and I see from the map it is south of Saint Charles.

We are staying on Chartres St in the French 1/4, and was hoping to be mostly on foot looking for bars and music. Good or bad idea?

You'll be fine at Commander's. Order a brandy milk punch with dessert and i srrongly suggest for said dessert getting both the bread pudding souffle and bananas foster. Also they will tempt you with the gumbo trio (and rightly so) but the turtle soup is amazing. Also don't dress like a peasant.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalduck wrote:
I used to go to Maple Leaf when I was 16 back in the early 80's, I saw some great gigs there. If he's staying in the quarter then he could take a nice street car ride to the Maple Leaf, It's easy to know when to get off, it's when St. Charles and Carrollton meet.

Good times.

Yup that was what I was thinking he should do and go to Jacques
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I was there 6 or so years ago and then spent a Friday there last year. Bourbon Street is mostly rock cover bands or DJs. I was told to go to French Street (not far away) where they have a couple of small jazz clubs.

Definitely check out Preservation Hall, right off of Bourbon. There's a line, but you'll probably get through it in an hour. You'll only be inside for 20 minutes or so, but its some good old fashoined New Orleans Jazz in a really old building. Its touristy, but its good.

Also, the steam boat had a decent dixie band on it. Again, touristy.

Good call on preservation hall
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans in two weeks. Live music? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchman's Street, not French Street. The Spotted Cat is a good place, my nephew and his band, "Pat Casey and the New Sound" are there on Sunday nights. The Carousel Lounge in the Hotel Monteleone on Fridays for Happy Hour. My nephew's wife, Robin Barnes, the "Songbird of New Orleans" sings there then. You may have seen her on a "NCIS New Orleans" episode.
Quote Reply