Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Paralysis by Analysis
Quote | Reply
It’s been fun following the Fall swim threads (especially the recent MBE post by Hydrosloth) and getting so many different perspectives. However, one strange thing happened as time went on. After reading one thread where the discussion had turned to the minutiae of “technique” and a poster was saying how a drill was supposed to give you the “feel” of angling your torso at precisely 38.5 deg. to allow for recovery of the fancy-Latin-word-for-upper-part-of-your-arm.....my head exploded.

Pretty nasty. Brains everywhere. The cat is still trying to lick them out of the carpet.

I envision this to be the state of beginner/intermediate triathlon at the moment: well-meaning athletes popping onto the forums for some tips and just spontaneously disintegrating, just “PFFFT”-ing like the climactic scene from Kingsman: the Secret Service.

“Disintegration” is actually a great term to describe the overthink that goes into a lot of triathlon swim instruction: “if I just do A) with my elbows, and B) with my forearm, and C) with my core—I don’t even know what a core is—and XYZ) with my feet, I’ll get to T1 faster and having conserved energy.”

Well, no. By treating the body as a collection of parts, instead of a single organism, we compromise what actually needs to be developed to get the athlete to T1 fast and fresh.

Take rhythm, for example. Rhythm is essential in events as brief as a 100m dash. How important is it then for multisport events lasting minimum the better part of an hour? The literal disintegration of swimming workouts interferes with the development of a swimming rhythm that needs to carry over to bike and run in the form of less fatigued muscles and more energy. It instead leads to tired athletes coming out of the water knackered because they put all their muscular energy into trying to hold a technique that was developed from someone’s sensibilities of what swimming SHOULD look like rather than what gets you to the finish line of a Triathlon the fastest.

This is not a knock on the discussions between coaches on threads. I’ve got a dog-eared copy of Swimming Fastest on my bedroom bookshelf, and nerding out about this stuff is fun as hell. The problem is that there’s no line drawn between the coaching conjecture and immediate, “actionable” (or whatever go-getter entrepreneurship term applies) ideas that someone looking to improve their TRIATHLON—-not triathlon SWIMMING but TRIATHLON—-can implement swiftly and effectively. The result: “PFFFFT!!!”

That’s essentially MBEs message, and Sutton’s, and Filliols: stop overthinking, keep these basics in mind, and it’ll work out. Not only that, but accumulating “pretty good” reps in the pool are what will actually allow the brain and body to progress towards “very good,” then “excellent,” then, perhaps, “masterful.”

Also, your head won’t explode, and your spouse won’t have to tell you to clean your brains off the cat and out of the carpet.
Last edited by: NateChampness: Nov 2, 17 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Paralysis by Analysis [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% that some of the swim thread posters are making swimming out to be entirely too technical; the whole 38.5 degree thing makes my head explode also. Personally, i think the best way to learn to swim better is to watch a really good swimmer, one that you think you can emulate, and then try to swim like he/she does. I think this is called "visual learning" but whatever it is called, that is what has worked best for me over the years. In the MBE manifesto, she says "don't try to swim like Phelps unless you're 6'4" with long arms, etc", and i can understand that sentiment but, OTOH, pick out a top swimmer who is about your size and go with him/her. I mean you've got a range to work with, from Sheila Taormina at 5'2.5" to Janet Evans at 5'5", Ledecky at 5'10", etc, up to Yannick Agnel at 6'11". Envision yourself swimming like as your role model. In this afternoon's swim workout, I swam some 50 and 100 breaststroke repeats, and I imagined myself to be the British breaststroker Adam Peaty, WR-holder in the 50 and 100 m breast, getting way high out of the water. It works for me. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Paralysis by Analysis [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a poster was saying how a drill was supposed to give you the “feel” of angling your torso at precisely 38.5 deg. to allow for recovery of the fancy-Latin-word-for-upper-part-of-your-arm.....my head exploded.

I missed that one, but I tend to skip stuff that is too wordy. Short attention span.

I've said before that feel and rhythm are the most important things a swimmer can have. The rest of it is icing. But its been a while since I've said that, so it probably bears repeating.

As coach told us before races.... don't think, just swim....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply