Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Procurement Hell: F-35 Lightning II JSF Repairs Six Years Behind Schedule
Quote | Reply
I've been a critic of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter for some time. It's surely a technological marvel and could be the strike/fighter jet that the Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy could effectively employ for at least a generation. If it ever works as intended and can be maintained, upgraded and repaired as intended, and at the cost initially projected. But will it be? That's an open question. (I've always thought the F-22 Raptor never got the break from the Air Force and DoD that it deserved).

Also, I don't know if it's DoD procurement processes or DoD maintenance systems that are in the most dire condition, because both seem to be equally struggling to carry out their missions effectively, at least at present.

"The GAO found that the DoD’s capabilities to repair F-35 parts at military depots are six years behind schedule.

Other challenges affecting the fighter aircraft’s readiness include spare parts shortages, undefined technical data needs, unfunded intermediate-level maintenance capabilities and delays in autonomic logistics information system (ALIS) development and uncertain funding.

From January to 7 August, the F-35 aircraft were unable to fly more than 22% of the time due to parts shortages.

The DoD has not defined all of the technical data it needs from the prime contractor.

The ALIS is a complex system that has been designed to support operations and maintenance that is key to F-35 sustainment.

Planned updates to ALIS will likely be delayed and requirements for the system development are not fully funded, according to GAO."

GAO recommends measures to US DoD for F-35 sustainment programme - Airforce Technology

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply