Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree...
Quote | Reply
$554K for a new tree? i guess it will look cool when it's done.

http://www.cbc.ca/...-replanted-1.4382702

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
$554K for a new tree? i guess it will look cool when it's done.

http://www.cbc.ca/...-replanted-1.4382702

I bet that happens everywhere, not just in Canuckistan.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a while back that the Toronto School board was charged $500 to have a pencil sharpener installed. Two screws and 5 minutes of labour?

Yeah, that'll be $500 please.

Ok, sounds reasonable.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I remember reading a while back that the Toronto School board was charged $500 to have a pencil sharpener installed. Two screws and 5 minutes of labour?

Ok, sounds reasonable.

Well, this was planting a tree on top of a private residential building and ensuring the building was still in good shape to handle it, and it was all paid for privately by the building's owner, so, I don't think it sounds unreasonable and it's not related to insane costs associated with government contracted work.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least it's private and not taxpayer money paying for it.

"As part of the tree replacement, owners of the building spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix the roof's covering and redo its waterproofing.
The entire project cost more than $500,000, which was paid by the owners, "

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Ok, sounds reasonable.

In a school? Wouldn't they have a janitor install it? Also, it looks like it was 4 screws (or maybe 5) and only $143.

http://www.metronews.ca/...tdsb-to-install.html
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My memory is not what it once was.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Ok, sounds reasonable.

Well, this was planting a tree on top of a private residential building and ensuring the building was still in good shape to handle it, and it was all paid for privately by the building's owner, so, I don't think it sounds unreasonable and it's not related to insane costs associated with government contracted work.

I know someone who use to do landscaping down on the coast of Maine where a lot of wealthy folks have summer homes. One lady would have a tractor trailer full of some type of tree shipped up from NC every year and planted to line her driveway. Then the winter here would kill them off. I'd love to know what the bill was for that every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It has become an icon of the neighbourhood, which is wonderful, and to replace it is very satisfying. Even the Christmas lights that were added to it became part of the neighbourhood experience,"

No mention of any of religions being represented.

Why do Canadians hate other religions ?

#coexist

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each unit owner in that building was required to pay $35,000 for the replacement work and the tree. I used to live right behind that building. The tree was a unique sight, but when I was there a couple of weeks ago, the building looked fine without a tree. If I was a unit owner, I wouldn't be happy about having to contribute to an addition to the building that adds no value.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
"It has become an icon of the neighbourhood, which is wonderful, and to replace it is very satisfying. Even the Christmas lights that were added to it became part of the neighbourhood experience,"

#coexist

What religion does Christmas have anything to do with these days :)
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Leddy wrote:

#coexist

What religion does Christmas have anything to do with these days :)

I'm not sure, I thought the war against it was just a game to play now. Waiting for the app.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll do it for $499k.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Everybody's aware of that tree. Anybody that walks the seawall ... it represents what Vancouver is."

I live a few blocks from there and I've never really thought a tree on top of a building represents what Vancouver is...

Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Ok, sounds reasonable.

In a school? Wouldn't they have a janitor install it? Also, it looks like it was 4 screws (or maybe 5) and only $143.

http://www.metronews.ca/...tdsb-to-install.html

Not bad. Article does not mention that these days a hazardous waste license is needed by anyone installing a pencil sharpener, which is a mini generator of hazardous waste: namely lead.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe your eyes when you see how much it cost to plant a tree... [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
At least it's private and not taxpayer money paying for it.

"As part of the tree replacement, owners of the building spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix the roof's covering and redo its waterproofing.
The entire project cost more than $500,000, which was paid by the owners, "

Also, I'm guessing "fix the roof's covering and redo it's waterproofing" essentially means the building needed a new roof.

That's not exactly a straight forward project. $500,000 isn't unreasonable at all. I've done kitchen Reno's that came close to that budget.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Remember the good old days when the mayor brought his own pens & pencils to work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
How do you know if you can't remember?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't $500k for a new tree. There was roofing and waterproofing work as well.
Quote Reply