Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

State Department Instructions for 2019 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program
Quote | Reply
Okay. This one I'm trolling. I admit it. So sue me. ;-)

At any rate, the application period for the next (2019) Diversity Visa lottery is open now and the US Department of State wants to make sure potential applicants know about it as well as how to enter it. The cutoff date is November 22nd, so time's running out to try to infiltrate a couple dozen hardcore terrorists, I'd say. (Actually, the easiest way to do that is to just apply for a tourist visa or student visa and then just go to town when you get here, especially if you also crave martyrdom.)

"The 2019 entry period will run from 12:00 pm (noon), Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), Wednesday, October 18, 2017, until 12:00 pm (noon), Eastern Standard Time (EST)(GMT-5), Wednesday, November 22, 2017... we cannot accept (2019) entries after noon EST on Tuesday, November 22, 2017."

The controlling federal law for this program is Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. It directs the State Department to annually select, through a lottery system, 50,000 "diversity immigrants" from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. Such as Uzbekistan. Iran also sends a lot of people to the US via the lottery, and so does Nepal (they're cool with me... we could use a Nepalese-only Gurkha unit in the armed forces ;-).

According to the State Department applicants must meet "simple but strict" eligibility requirements to be eligible to participate in the lottery. These include having, at minimum, either a high school education or its equivalent OR two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience to perform.

The lottery is based on a computerized random drawing and the visas are distributed across six different geographic regions. Also, no single country may receive more than 7 percent of the available diversity visas within a single year.

Some countries are not allowed to participate in the drawing this year, as more than 50,000 citizens from each country have immigrated to the US in the previous five years. These are:

Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada (ed. THANK GOD ;-), China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.

Though there's no fee to apply for the lottery, selectees must still pay all required visa application fees as well as undergo what I'm sure is a really strict, tough, thoughtful and deeply probing interview -- conducted by a 22-year-old graduate of Yale or Harvard, most likely -- at a US embassy or consulate.

New_DV-2019_Restart_Plain_Language_Instructions_and_FAQs_.pdf

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 2, 17 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: State Department Instructions for 2019 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even 500 words on the topic. You can do better.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: State Department Instructions for 2019 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Not even 500 words on the topic. You can do better.

I'm a little tired this morning. Yesterday's 50,000 words of hot air I exhaled kind of put me back on my heels. Not as young as I once was. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: State Department Instructions for 2019 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, ignore if u like. What are your first reads daily? What are ur trusted sources?

I am no spring chicken either, a tip of hat for at least often thorough discussions. I tend to be short and occasionally to the point.
Quote Reply
Re: State Department Instructions for 2019 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Just curious, ignore if u like. What are your first reads daily? What are ur trusted sources?

I am no spring chicken either, a tip of hat for at least often thorough discussions. I tend to be short and occasionally to the point.

"Brevity is the soul of wit" and "the writer is in need of an editor" are two sayings that never, EVER, cross my mind. ;-)

Actually, since I'm a writer, I have a news aggregation program that I scroll through. Typically, I start with the national newspapers, some big-city local newspapers and then various news websites (CNN, USA Today, Politico, the Hill, etc.). Then it's various blogs for items of interests, including quirky items as well as science and technology and whatnot. I try to stay away from the hard-right and hard-left blogs and websites, though. But I'm fine with HuffPo, Slate, Salon on the left and Fox News, National Review and Weekly Standard on the right. The Nation? Avoid it like the plague. Breitbart? Ditto. ;-)

Quote Reply