Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC
Quote | Reply
I was there as a racer and a race director and I honestly do not feel guilty sharing it here since we all truly work for free for this event, and are only fueled by passion.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...h_Carolina_6635.html
Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a group of people I would never want to mess with haha they look scrappy AF

Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, but everyone was nice on course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you ST'er Brian Fancher for the amazing photos. The full album is here. Perhaps folks who weren't there shouldn't look at these because they will be incredibly jealous!! Brian, thank you . . . we appreciate your talent, effort, and passion!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap do I want to do this!!

I'm a swimmer first and I love to run... (biking... meh). Although I'm not sure I've done enough measurable racing in the past 24 months to qualify. (A half, a sprint or two and an oly). I guess I need to start registering for some races. Oh, and I'll need to find a teammate. It looks like a blast and a great challenge!

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some “low hanging fruits.” Half IM faster than 6:15, full IM faster than 14:30 and half marathon time sub 2. Ideally some trail running experience as this course is very technical and steep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race looks absolutely stunning yet fairly brutal.

Some amazing times from the frontrunners.

Bucket lister...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To go that much under the course record was super impressive. Despite almost double the starters 90 vs 52 we had only 17 teams go sub 4 hours this year. Last year 15 teams did so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the deal with the team format? And why is everyone using swim paddles?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The team scenario is there for safety. Basically when you jump in the water over and over again, imagine if you got a severe cramp during swim 7 - your teammate is there to support you and all athletes are required to carry whistles to alert support staff. But the dynamic is also very cool as you will dig very deep when you get along with the partner and it is great when athletes can motivate each other.

Paddles and pull buoy are optional ( but allowed) and are often used since you are swimming with your socks and shoes. Not only will the buoy float your shoes up, but the paddles allow you to not tire out the legs during the swims since you need them for all the running.

It is sometimes hard for folks on the outside to understand, until they actually do one. And it is not "a triathlon without a bike," I promise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwimRun NC was a very good event and one I plan on being back to in the future! Having now done two different SwimRun events, I'm completely sold on the format. As people have mentioned, this is not triathlon, nor is it triathlon without a bike. It's totally different. Personally, I find the SwimRun to be a much richer experience than triathlon. Adventure, endurance, comradery, nature, and competition all wrapped up in one package. Of those things, the part I truly enjoy the most (and I was kind of surprised by this) is the relationship with the course (nature, environment, constantly changing conditions, etc.) and my teammate. I've learned more about myself being tethered to another person than I have racing by myself.

Back to SwimRun NC, the enthusiasm that Herbert, Jan, and Jeff have for the race, Hanging Rock State Park, and people of the local community is infectious. They love the sport, the people, and the community, its that simple. The course is well conceived and incorporates many of the natural features that makes the park beautiful. The event drew some great athletes across all divisions and made for some really good racing. Still, the event was definitely not all about the front of the pack as the organizers went out of their way to acknowledge and welcome everyone.

Can't wait to toe the line again in NC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Here are some “low hanging fruits.” Half IM faster than 6:15, full IM faster than 14:30 and half marathon time sub 2. Ideally some trail running experience as this course is very technical and steep

How competitive was it to get in? What criteria do they use? My training buddy and I were interested this year but couldn’t fit it in. I’d like to do it next year. We’re both fairly competitive AG triathletes (consistently podium in local olympics, top 10 in IM 70.3s).
Quote Reply
Re: Images from a cold but stunning 2017 SwimRun NC [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We accept teams in when we see them as qualified. As the race gets closer to full we then slow down a bit and compare some. But folks who get in early are not really compared, just judged on merit. If you are a top 10 Half IM person, that is pretty much a guarantee to get in. It is good to see shorter distance speed but this is really an endurance event, so we care more about longer stuff. Most folks though said that our race was harder than any Half they have previously done.

Registration (application for a spot) starts December 1.

We however have already 28 spots likely taken from 2017 teams that want to return. They have not all yet paid, but they seemed eager. We are estimating that 50 spots out of the 111 available will go to teams returning.

This is what one team said:

"SwimRunNC is done y'all! xxxx and I must have laughed for 10 minutes straight after crossing that finish line - the adventure, the weather, the jaw dropping scenery - we were just so happy and grateful to have had the experience!
So many thank yous:

The RDs Herbert, Jan and Jeff - thank youthankyouthankyou!!! Top notch from soup to nuts. Challenging course, great pre-race communication, thoughtful swag (handmade wooden coasters and encouraging handwritten notes from local school kids - seriously, y'all!). Their lightheartedness in general and their passion for the sport and the natural environment were contagious and set the tone for the entire race experience. Not to mention they donate 100% of any profit back to Hanging Rock State Park!

The Volunteers - AMAZING! Encouraging and positive every time. And if we thought the weather was cold and wet - imagine standing out in it for hours with a smile - and they did! I especially appreciate Christy so friendly and helpful and enthusiastic. David at the lake - we felt famous every time we went over that timing mat and we passed through there A LOT! The guy dressed as green lantern doing water safety support in a canoe - made for many underwater giggles. Brian, the photographer, (who apparently did some crazy hard race the day before) and his son who were EVERYWHERE on that course documenting this special kind of crazy.

The other athletes - such a supportive, funny crew of folks - hope to see you all back next year. (Yes, xxxx , I'm talking to you😂)
xxxx - thank you for keeping this old lady strong.
xxxx - we know when to talk and when to shut up. Go team❤️

And even if nothing about this race format grabs you, I still really encourage you to visit Hanging Rock State Park. It is a true natural treasure❤️"

Also, one more:

"I want to thank you guys for an exciting and challenging adventure, very well organized.
The scenery was gorgeous. Volunteers and spectators were amazing. Personally, there were no pain nor cold, only a deep, profound joy.
We were all pushing hard, but still we had time for a smile, a word, a joke, a picture. We were friends competing, not competitors.
I must confess that I fell in love with this sport. I was genuinely happy, like a kid running through the woods.
It was the first one, and it won’t be the last. We’ll come back."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and thanks for posting the comments. I think this one has to go to the top of the list for next year!
Quote Reply