Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maintenance Backlog, Lack of Drydock Access Idles 15 Navy Submarines
Quote | Reply
Fifteen of the US Navy's fast attack submarines -- the hunter-killer boats that go out and find enemy subs as well keep them away from US ballistic missile subs ("boomers" -- "long, black and don't come back") -- have been idled by the sea service due to a maintenance backlog. Unfortunately, the Navy's plan to address the backlog is also being held up by a budget gridlock in Congress.

Part of the issue is that the Navy is reluctant to use anything but Navy-owned and operated shipyards and drydock facilities when it comes to submarine overhauls and maintenance, and there's a bottleneck due to an insufficient number of such Navy shipyards. Recently, the sea service decided to start utilizing nearby Newport News Shipbuilding, a civilian shipyard that builds plenty of Navy ships, to overhaul at least one of the 15 submarines (the USS Boise). Apparently, the delay will add 31 more months to the total time in which Boise will be out of service.

I don't know how much of a hit to readiness a given Navy fleet will experience having that many (15) fast attack subs down for maintenance at one time because there are always several such boats out of action for such things at any time. Mister Slowguy would no doubt be able to fill in my (considerable) knowledge gaps about that. My guess is it'll affect operational tempo of other boats and their crews, with more at-sea and patrol times for the fast attack subs available for duty, as well as wider patrol and coverage areas for the boats that are out there.

15 Subs Kept Out of Service: 177 Months Of Drydock Backups « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 1, 17 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: Maintenance Backlog, Lack of Drydock Access Idles 15 Navy Submarines [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to tell if this is just blowing smoke for the Navy to get more funding or if this is a real issue.
They plan these maintenance schedules years (decades) in advance, I am assuming the Boise situation is a refueling overhaul. A lot would have to go wrong for this backlog to be an unforeseen event.

The VIRGINIA class (new builds) will never need a refueling and I don't think there are a lot of 688 Class refuelings after Boise (but there will be continued 688 inactivations).
My point being, this may be a temporary bottleneck as they are transitioning from the last refueling overhauls to only inactivations and probably less yard utilization overall. Without the need to refuel, the longest yard period for attack subs is going to be quite a bit shorter (at least in terms of not having a 31 month yard period in one stretch). Likewise, with the cost to operate a shipyard, they plan for level loading and yes sometimes you deal with delays, but the alternate is hundreds of millions (or billions) to add capacity that you only need for a few years.

With the decline of the USSR and the fact that China's sub force is still pretty weak, we don't need the kind of sub force we used to in order to be the dominant player.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Nov 1, 17 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: Maintenance Backlog, Lack of Drydock Access Idles 15 Navy Submarines [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great points. Thanks!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply