Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYC Attacker Sayfullo Saipov Apparently a Known Wolf
Quote | Reply
Like I've said, even a lone wolf is raised by a pack before it goes off the reservation. It appears the NYC truck attacker, Sayfullo Saipov, was known to US authorities, and was interviewed by the FBI in 2015 because his name was listed as a point of contact for two known terrorists (one of whom has apparently just gone to ground and disappeared).

Nothing was done by the FBI or any other government agency or organization, including not opening a contact file on him, which is standard operating procedure, I think (though Mister GMAN is the expert on these matters, not me). From what it looks like, neither was his permanent resident status under the Diversity Visa Program reviewed, revisited or reexamined. I guess because doing so would have been populist or nativist or Islamophobic, or something.

Feds interviewed accused NYC truck attacker in 2015 about possible terror ties - ABC News

"The suspected New York City attacker, Sayfullo Saipov, was interviewed in 2015 by federal agents in the Department of Homeland Security Investigations Unit about possible ties to suspected terrorists, but the agents did not have enough evidence to open a case on him, law enforcement officials tell ABC News.

Saipov's name and address was listed as a “point of contact” for two different men whose names were entered into the Counterterrorism and Criminal Exploitation Unit’s list after they came to the United States from “threat countries,” one federal official told ABC News.

One of the two men has vanished and is being actively sought by federal agents as a “suspected terrorist.”

I'm curious as to why, after being cited as being a point of contact for two terror suspects, this gentleman wasn't put under at least casual or intermittent surveillance? If he had been -- which I know is a case of 20/20 hindsight on my part -- maybe the feds would have noticed this:

"Investigators searching Saipov’s online activities have found social media links to people who are or were subjects of terror investigations, sources said; however, it appears that the suspect found ISIS propaganda online and was not part of a terror cell."

C'mon, feds. Don't be this guy:

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Attacker Sayfullo Saipov Apparently a Known Wolf [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Nothing was done by the FBI or any other government agency or organization, including not opening a contact file on him, which is standard operating procedure, I think (though Mister GMAN is the expert on these matters, not me). From what it looks like, neither was his permanent resident status under the Diversity Visa Program reviewed, revisited or reexamined. I guess because doing so would have been populist or nativist or Islamophobic, or something.

"The suspected New York City attacker, Sayfullo Saipov, was interviewed in 2015 by federal agents in the Department of Homeland Security Investigations Unit about possible ties to suspected terrorists, but the agents did not have enough evidence to open a case on him, law enforcement officials tell ABC News.

I'm curious as to why, after being cited as being a point of contact for two terror suspects, this gentleman wasn't put under at least casual or intermittent surveillance? If he had been -- which I know is a case of 20/20 hindsight on my part

Let me preface this by saying I don't know shit about this case but in general terms....

For one, he wasn't interviewed by the FBI according to the article. Looks like HSI should be blamed for any ball dropping... not that I'm saying there should be any blame, but it doesn't seem like the FBI was the lead. FBI is the lead investigative agency for DOJ. HSI is the lead agency for DHS. Also not saying the Bureau would have done anything differently because if there's not enough evidence to open a case, well, there's not enough evidence to open a case. This isn't Minority Report. We have no way of predicting what someone might do given the limited and minimal information on the person and their suspected ties. If those ties to the other two jerkoffs don't lead to anything substantial, what is HSI or the FBI supposed to do about it? In hindsight? Yes, certainly he should have been under much further scrutiny but the intel community just might not have had enough info to do much of anything. It's also a resource issue. There's only so many FBI or HSI agents and analysts to go around. Sometimes we just don't know much about a person or consider them a credible threat until shit goes BOOM.

Just spitballin'. Not making excuses.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 1, 17 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Attacker Sayfullo Saipov Apparently a Known Wolf [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So was he interviewed or not?

From your article:

"Sayfullo Saipov, who has been charged with killing eight people in a vehicle attack on the West Side of Manhattan on Tuesday, was interviewed in 2015 by federal agents about possible ties to suspected terrorists but a case was never opened against him, law enforcement officials tell ABC News."

but also

"A Department of Homeland Security spokesman said that its law enforcement agencies -- Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations -- "did not interview Saipov in 2015."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Attacker Sayfullo Saipov Apparently a Known Wolf [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am willing to bet he became radicalized while in the US.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"From what it looks like, neither was his permanent resident status under the Diversity Visa Program reviewed, revisited or reexamined. I guess because doing so would have been populist or nativist or Islamophobic, or something."

"From what it looks like"

"I guess"

You already got your ass handed to you on the other Saipov thread for idle, misinformed speculation. Are you doubling down? Have your handlers asked you to ramp it up?
Last edited by: eb: Nov 1, 17 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go on hitting on immigrants and DV, and make sure to ignore the American who gunned down 58, and injured another 500 or so.
Stay the course, no matter what, stay the course.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Attacker Sayfullo Saipov Apparently a Known Wolf [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
You already got your ass handed to you on the other Saipov thread for idle, misinformed speculation. Are you doubling down? Have your handlers asked you to ramp it up?

Misinformed speculation has never stopped Kahuna from contributing at least 1000 words on a subject before. There's nothing he loves more than the virtual sound of his internet voice.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply