Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No White Men Wanted [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What does their skin color have to with their governing abilities?

Are saying that people of certain skin colors have certain attributes and abilities?

As far as I know, you are white. You also don't seem like someone that should be allowed to be in charge of anything. JSA too. That is already a healthy sample of two proving my point.

I am saying men with a white skin color have demonstrated an attribute to poorly govern our country. I don't know what attributes other skin colors may have (or if there if there are any attributes associated with skin color), but I think we need a change. Aside from being most lawyers and relatively wealthy white men, what would you say is the most distinguishing characteristic of the highest levels of our government? And if they are mostly white male, lawyers leading the screw ups, common sense dictates we replace them with something other than more white male lawyers.

So your position is that this country has never been governed well?
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You asked, "Are saying that people of certain skin colors have certain attributes and abilities?"

My answer, is if you have a group of people with varying racial characteristics, you will be likely to get a bigger variation in attributes and abilities than a group of people with more uniform racial characteristics.

I'd agree that it's dumb and short-sighed to pick a single, highly visible characteristic and pick it above racial characteristics.

So we should stop constantly picking nearly all white and male people to run our country. :)

Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You asked, "Are saying that people of certain skin colors have certain attributes and abilities?"

In response to a post that said “white people have been in charge and failed so we should avoid putting other white people in charge.”

White - a color. No other descriptor was used. Only skin color.

I asked if the poster believed that the amount of melanin in one’s skin dictates certain abilities and attributes.

Quote:
My answer, is if you have a group of people with varying racial characteristics, you will be likely to get a bigger variation in attributes and abilities than a group of people with more uniform racial characteristics.

You were responding to a post about color in a thread about color.

Quote:
I'd agree that it's dumb and short-sighed to pick a single, highly visible characteristic and pick it above racial characteristics.

That’s good.

Quote:
So we should stop constantly picking nearly all white and male people to run our country. :)

I see your smiley face but will respond to the text...

We don’t elect people because they are white and we don’t not elect people because they aren’t white.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you should entirely blame the Obamacare mess on white men, since many didn't vote for the law. The common denominator was their party affiliation.

tri_yoda wrote:
Maybe they had an epiphany. The mostly older, white men who largely represent the party in Congress don't seem to be doing such a good job.
If you look at our disfunctional legislative and executive branches, its mostly white men. So for anyone who is complaining about our government, it would be pretty disingenuous to have an issue about not letting more bums (old white men) get involved in the process (on any level, even in the IT department). We (the white mens) had our chance and have created a huge mess. Sure we like to blame Obamacare on a black man, but if you look at the rolls of who actually voted for it in Congress, its really the white mans burden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I think I was pretty much on topic. Conversations can expand or shift slightly in threads. Sometimes a lot.

Quote:

We don’t elect people because they are white and we don’t not elect people because they aren’t white.

What's this "we," white man. Some people do.

Some people use skin color as a conscious factor in making choices about who to elect.. There's also good research in various contexts showing that there's sub-conscious bias in making decision based on skin color. We just tend to like people who look and act like us. Kind of natural.

There's a nice ideal that we all make our election choices based on sober, rational evaluation of issues and competence independent of race, gender, or other factors that, on paper, have no bearing on competence.

And then there's reality. White people like white people. Black people like black people. But sometimes white people freak out when white people make a show about pretending to like black people. It ain't natural.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 1, 17 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_yoda has displayed a level of ignorance that would make the Statue of Liberty weap. In fact, when I found out he was an engineer, I started lying about my undergrad degree for fear my Purdue engineering degree would be associated with his stupidity. We are all more ignorant having read his posts and my God have mercy on his soul.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's this "we," white man.

Voters.

Quote:
Some people use skin color as a conscious factor in making choices about who to elect.

Yes, millions voted for Obama because he’s half black.

Quote:
We just tend to like people who look and act like us. Kind of natural.

People that look like me give me the creeps.

Quote:
There's a nice ideal that we all make our election choices based on sober, rational evaluation of issues and competence independent of race, gender, or other factors.

And then there's reality.

And the reality is that I usually only have a choice between two candidates. Sometimes they’re both the same “color”. Sometimes ther aren’t.

There’s a city-wide election this week. My choices for Mayor include 3 white dudes, a Cuban dude and a woman who may or may not be white. I’m voting for the Cuban but him being Cuban has nothing to do with it. I actually thought he was mexican until yesterday.

My choices for city council are all white guys. Those are my choices because those are the people running. Those not my choices because the voters of Santa Barbara collectively decided that no black or brown people would run in my district.

That’s reality.

And either way, their race has nothing to do with their ability to govern.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Nov 1, 17 20:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Maybe they had an epiphany. The mostly older, white men who largely represent the party in Congress don't seem to be doing such a good job.
If you look at our disfunctional legislative and executive branches, its mostly white men. So for anyone who is complaining about our government, it would be pretty disingenuous to have an issue about not letting more bums (old white men) get involved in the process (on any level, even in the IT department). We (the white mens) had our chance and have created a huge mess. Sure we like to blame Obamacare on a black man, but if you look at the rolls of who actually voted for it in Congress, its really the white mans burden.

I was thinking about all the countries around the world with successful, non-white government officials so I could prove your point.

I'm still thinking.

Maybe politicians just suck? Maybe those who aspire to this job (regardless of skin color) have personalities that make them pre-disposed to being an asshole?

Nah. Let's just make it racial. That's sexy.
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By his logic we shouldn’t elect black people because Liberia is fucked up.

I wonder what he thinks of how Sweden is run....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What does their skin color have to with their governing abilities?

Are saying that people of certain skin colors have certain attributes and abilities?

White men can’t jump.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought his posts were satire. Poorly executed satire, but satire nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:

Racism is what happens BY white men, not TO white men. Look it up. Huffington Post just had a really good article on it.

What if that white man was in part of the world where he was in the minority? Could he be the subject of racism?

Edit : Always loved the premise of combating inequality with inequality.
Last edited by: Andrew69: Nov 1, 17 22:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Well women and men certainly have different attributes and abilities. This wasn't all about race.

And people with different races tend to have great variation cultural and socio-economic backgrounds than any group of people of the same race.

I'm all for diversity but explicitly excluding any group is simple bias and shouldn't be allowed or go unpunished. Which as far as I'm aware, it's not allowed in hiring practices and the person in question if the allegations are true is opening her organization up to a lawsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Well women and men certainly have different attributes and abilities.

Hold on, can we ask James Damore and google to weigh in on this statement?
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
White men need not apply.

That’s the message from a Democratic National Committee data services manager, currently on the hunt to filll multiple vacancies in the tech department.

The political organization, which routinely makes grand statements about inclusion, recently sent an email to its employees looking to recruit people for eight open spots including IT Systems Administrator, Product Manager and Chief Security Officer.

Though the Oct. 30 email says that the DNC is looking for a “staff of diverse voices and life experiences,” it apparently doesn’t mean white men.

DNC’s Data Service Manager Madeleine Leader purportedly wrote in an email that the desire for diversity excludes “cisgender straight white males.”
Leader adds, “I personally would prefer that you not forward to cisgender straight white males, as they are already in the majority.”

http://www.foxnews.com/...y-for-tech-jobs.html[/quote]

The party of inclusion

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

That’s the message from a Democratic National Committee data services manager, currently on the hunt to filll multiple vacancies in the tech department.

The political organization, which routinely makes grand statements about inclusion, recently sent an email to its employees looking to recruit people for eight open spots including IT Systems Administrator, Product Manager and Chief Security Officer.

Though the Oct. 30 email says that the DNC is looking for a “staff of diverse voices and life experiences,” it apparently doesn’t mean white men.

DNC’s Data Service Manager Madeleine Leader purportedly wrote in an email that the desire for diversity excludes “cisgender straight white males.”
Leader adds, “I personally would prefer that you not forward to cisgender straight white males, as they are already in the majority.”

The party of inclusion

Well apparently they already make up the bulk of the folks doing the job, which is really neither here nor there, as far as excluding any group from being newly hired.
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

The party of inclusion

Silly white boy. Whites are included in their inclusion rules.
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
I thought his posts were satire. Poorly executed satire, but satire nonetheless.

Gawd, I wish that were true. The fact that you thought they were satire supports my point perfectly.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jw13 wrote:

Gawd, I wish that were true. The fact that you thought they were satire supports my point perfectly.

This piece was priceless:

"I am saying men with a white skin color have demonstrated an attribute to poorly govern our country. I don't know what attributes other skin colors may have (or if there if there are any attributes associated with skin color), but I think we need a change."

If someone said that black skin makes one unable to sit in a position of governance, the cries of racism would be immediate and justified. The lack of self-awareness is strong in that one.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I think I was pretty much on topic. Conversations can expand or shift slightly in threads. Sometimes a lot.

Quote:

What's this "we," white man. Some people do.

Some people use skin color as a conscious factor in making choices about who to elect.. There's also good research in various contexts showing that there's sub-conscious bias in making decision based on skin color. We just tend to like people who look and act like us. Kind of natural.

There's a nice ideal that we all make our election choices based on sober, rational evaluation of issues and competence independent of race, gender, or other factors that, on paper, have no bearing on competence.

And then there's reality. White people like white people. Black people like black people. But sometimes white people freak out when white people make a show about pretending to like black people. It ain't natural.

So what you are saying is you see the color of ones skin when making decisions? That's pretty scary.

This entire episode is just another nail in the coffin of a once great party. Eight years of Obama identity politics has gotten them nowhere. We now have Trump because of it and we will get another 4 years of Trump if they aren't careful. What a clueless bunch of buffoons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Tri_yoda has displayed a level of ignorance that would make the Statue of Liberty weap. In fact, when I found out he was an engineer, I started lying about my undergrad degree for fear my Purdue engineering degree would be associated with his stupidity. We are all more ignorant having read his posts and my God have mercy on his soul.

Well, it is a Purdue engineering degree so, yes, it kind of is associated with stupidity. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is your perfect candidate:

Quote Reply
Re: No White Men Wanted [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This entire episode is just another nail in the coffin of a once great party. Eight years of Obama identity politics has gotten them nowhere. We now have Trump because of it and we will get another 4 years of Trump if they aren't careful. What a clueless bunch of buffoons.

It kind of pains me a little to say this but I completely agree with you. The comments about white men governing is ridiculous and the Dems are just digging themselves a deeper hole, they are the ones making everything about race.

Oh and just for kicks, if people really want to go down the road of trying to find a well run non-white government in the world they are welcome to to start in Africa and see how well that turns out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
I am saying men with a white skin color have demonstrated an attribute to poorly govern our country.

Ok.

Black men in Chicago have committed gun murders.

We shouldn’t allow black people to have guns.

In fact black men have committed a disproportionate amount of murders in the US.

We should just put all black men in prison.

It’s just “common sense”.

Evidently common sense is to put non lawyer (ie non educated) persons in charge. Preferably those with a higher tendency to commit a crime, based purely on statistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am saying men with a white skin color have demonstrated an attribute to poorly govern our country. I don't know what attributes other skin colors may have (or if there if there are any attributes associated with skin color), but I think we need a change. Aside from being most lawyers and relatively wealthy white men, what would you say is the most distinguishing characteristic of the highest levels of our government? And if they are mostly white male, lawyers leading the screw ups, common sense dictates we replace them with something other than more white male lawyers.

This is the kind of gold that keeps me coming back to the Lavender Room every day.

Wow

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply

Prev Next