Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ophthalmologists/Optometrists in da house?
Quote | Reply
About a year ago, I went to an opthalmologist because I needed new contact. She told me I needed reading glasses. I said oh hell no.
She said try that. And I said oh shit that's amazing!
So, now I have contacts for blind people (-6.50 both eyes) and reading glasses to see planets and stars far away (+1.75)
When I tried multifocals last year, I didn't like them. I could read a bit better but vision afar was not great. So I decided against.

Question: are there multifocal contacts that allow for such a spread between close up and far vision?

Also, she said that there was some mild cataract (I guess I'm getting old) that probably will need to be addressed surgically in the next 10 years or so.
I don't want to go back to her because I didn't particularly like her (not friendly one bit) so I need to find someone else here but wouldn't mind opinions of experts or other folks who have screwed up eyes too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ophthalmologists/Optometrists in da house? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've no help to offer on the lenses but I can share an anecdote.

A few years ago I moved to a new town and one cold mid-February day I made an appointment with the Optometrist next to my office. To my pleasant surprise the optometrist turned out to be a very attractive woman in her mid thirties. We were chatting and she asked how my valentines day was going (I had foroten it was the 14th). Without missing a beat I responded that it was surprisingly nice so far, as I hadn't expected to have a beautiful woman gazing deeply into my eyes. She laughed but then she scheduled me for the next year on Feb 14th. Yup, I still got it.

I like my optometrist almost as much as my dental hygenist, who has short arms and is extremly busty. Best head massages ever.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
About a year ago, I went to an opthalmologist because I needed new contact. She told me I needed reading glasses. I said oh hell no.
She said try that. And I said oh shit that's amazing!
So, now I have contacts for blind people (-6.50 both eyes) and reading glasses to see planets and stars far away (+1.75)
When I tried multifocals last year, I didn't like them. I could read a bit better but vision afar was not great. So I decided against.

Question: are there multifocal contacts that allow for such a spread between close up and far vision?

Also, she said that there was some mild cataract (I guess I'm getting old) that probably will need to be addressed surgically in the next 10 years or so.
I don't want to go back to her because I didn't particularly like her (not friendly one bit) so I need to find someone else here but wouldn't mind opinions of experts or other folks who have screwed up eyes too.

I take your 6.50 and raise you. I have 12.75. not sure or the +/-. I am near sighted. I can't wear soft lenses due to astigmatism and have gas permeable. I mostly wear my contacts which have different regions for reading. They also adjusted one contact to work better up close and the other better far away. Overall vision stays good (right at 20/20 or 20/25 which is good given the correction), but I do not need to wear reading glasses, I am 58 and first realized a need for reading glasses at about 40. So they can do things to avoid actually requiring reading glasses. I also have backup glasses which are progressive lenses. I find these work well for me and most ly wear them in the evenings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anybody here (nearsighted folks) had lasik after the need to get reading glasses? I’m kicking myself for not getting LASIK years ago. I’m trying out multifocal lenses, but not liking the compromise in distance vision. I’m wondering about correcting distance vision so at least I can ditch the glasses most of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ophthalmologists/Optometrists in da house? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to pick them. Who cuts your hair?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading glasses are usually for near. Like reading. Maybe you need them when you are looking in a telescope? Bifocals should work for you. They are just two lens in one pair of glasses. I don't know about the contacts.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply