Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XSHIFTER (semi) wireless shifting!
Quote | Reply
I see on BikeRumor that XSHIFTER is now doing another campaign on Indiegogo and for $199 according to the article you can get a 1x system that is completely programmable. I was thinking that this might not be a bad option if you placed the shifter close to the end of the bars and right in the middle. They do say they have an option for barends but I see this fitting between the extensions a lot better.

The only issue I se is the fairly large controller that needs to be on the chainstay at the back which I am not sure would be the best for aero but might not be that bad. Would have to be tested.

Article is here. https://www.bikerumor.com/...der-price-indiegogo/

Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 1, 17 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: XSHIFTER (semi) wireless shifting! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's been an update. Seems he's keeping on. Except don't bother him because he's busy. And also be patient. Or so he says.

Should be in the updates section. I think everyone should see it and not just backers. If not I can copy the text here later.https://www.kickstarter.com/...l-wireless-smart-shi[/url]

Full disclaimer, I'm a backer.
Quote Reply
Re: XSHIFTER (semi) wireless shifting! [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard of it before, and it looks interesting....but ship dates were in 2017? Has anyone gotten one and tried it out? How far behind is he? I don't honestly expect any Kickstarter/Indiegogo to really stick strictly to the timeframes they provide because stuff always comes up that they aren't prepared for. Just wondering what the story is behind this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this 2 years ago and while I am interested has anyone actually received one. From what you say in your post, I no zero confidence on this product. I want it but reading what you are saying, I now don't want it. If I was a backer, I would be requesting my money back. This guy is collecting interest on your money while you have no product. Maybe I am wrong but I have not seen anyone post they have this and it is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I posted this 2 years ago and while I am interested has anyone actually received one. From what you say in your post, I no zero confidence on this product. I want it but reading what you are saying, I now don't want it. If I was a backer, I would be requesting my money back. This guy is collecting interest on your money while you have no product. Maybe I am wrong but I have not seen anyone post they have this and it is great.

With crowdfunding there's no possibility of getting money back. Some responsible founders have refunded money before when they discovered they were way above their head. It's the risk you take.

With that said. Some of the 1x systems were shipped. I have not heard from those that did receive it but I'd be willing to bet they're satisfied. On the same token I haven't sought them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be interesting to hear how things are going. I have done some items on crowdfunding but have never waited this long. I think it is a great concept but this guy needs to get his stuff together as the market will pass him by quickly if he is not producing product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's an issue that he wanted to keep things frugal and the people he hired weren't able to deliver.

The second issue is that hardly anyone knows this exists. No OEM wants to order if production isn't up to speed. And he likely needs more capital to catch up after all the pitfalls he's faced. He may have to sell some units to catch up. I think he's done it before.

Lots of marketing needed of course.
Last edited by: Chan: Oct 5, 19 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Product offering is too large and should have been smaller. Could have scaled up after the first few runs. Needs to be purchased by someone that knows what they are doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i received mine from indiegogo. put up pics in this thread https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...r_%24359_P7018999-3/

also here
https://imgur.com/a/GAJWVGO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Would be interesting to hear how things are going. I have done some items on crowdfunding but have never waited this long. I think it is a great concept but this guy needs to get his stuff together as the market will pass him by quickly if he is not producing product.

It has already.

I stumbled on the Xshifter recently and thought it was a cool concept... but after many years, still no product. Meanwhile Archer D1x is basically the same thing and has been selling for over a year with mostly great reviews and customer support.

https://www.archercomponents.com/product/d1x-trail-mab/
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...for_%24359_P7018999/
Quote Reply
Re: XSHIFTER (semi) wireless shifting! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm sounds like I should keep my manual shifting and ride around with a signal jammer
Quote Reply
Re: XSHIFTER (semi) wireless shifting! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know about the Archer D1x but the Xshifter to me is a dead product. Archer will take over this niche market and Xshifter will fade away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:

I tested it on a few bikes back at the beginning of the year. There were a handful of issues, enough that I would never consider installing it on any of my bikes.

The shifting was slow. It would only shift one gear at a time, and take nearly a second to complete the shift. You couldn't hold the button down and have it run through the gear range, you had to hit the button, let it shift, hit the button again, etc.

The app is terrible. The Android and iOS apps look like they were designed by completely different teams, who never bothered to see what the other was doing. The Android version was missing several of the functions and screens that were shown in the user manual (which only had iOS screenshots).

Pairing was difficult. One of the bikes, which had front and rear shifters, refused to pair both shifters. It took forever get both shifters simultaneously paired with the correct derailleurs. The shifter pairing function shown in the manual on iOS didn't exist on the Android version. I finally had to borrow an iPhone from one of our warehouse guys and install the app on his phone in order to get it working.

I could see a few situations where this would be ideal, such as someone with a disability who needs the rear shifter on the left side. But as far as shifting performance goes, the 105 drivetrains on my 2 main bikes outperform this system...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply