Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how to discuss solutions with out it becoming political. Impossible. In this case, its immigration. To change it or not change it, it's is a political discussion. Las Vegas? gun control again political discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
That's my biggest issue with "Now is not the time". If not now, then when?

Really for either side the answer appears to be: "I don't want to talk about this". Because if now is not the time, there is never a time because for either type of tragedy, they are always happening.

Not saying it's Vega's tactic at all, because he's a smart person, I can tell. But I've found that the usual calls to "let's not politicize this-or-that-tragedy" amounts to "STFU and sit down while we lecture you about your shortcomings and then do what we tell you."

Homey don't play that, sir. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Really for either side the answer appears to be: "I don't want to talk about this". Because if now is not the time, there is never a time because for either type of tragedy, they are always happening.

Not saying it's Vega's tactic at all, because he's a smart person, I can tell. But I've found that the usual calls to "let's not politicize this-or-that-tragedy" amounts to "STFU and sit down while we lecture you about your shortcomings and then do what we tell you."

Of course that's what it is. From both sides. On any issue.

Now shut the fuck up and listen to me...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But I've found that the usual calls to "let's not politicize this-or-that-tragedy" amounts to "STFU

Exactly my observations as well. I said as much in my response to slowguy in post 34.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
But how to discuss solutions with out it becoming political. Impossible. In this case, its immigration. To change it or not change it, it's is a political discussion. Las Vegas? gun control again political discussion.

Yeah. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING is political nowadays. I realized that awhile ago, which is why I got out of covering politics and writing about it after the 2014 midterms, but even I can't avoid it. Technically, my yammering over in that "TRUMP IS GONNA BE INDICTED SOON!" thread (hahahaha!) could be construed as political commentary. I realized that after I'd written about 7,000 words total. So I dropped out of the discussion.

Sooner or later, politics is going to be dragged into my "The Diversity Visa Program SUCKS!" thread (hahahahahahahahaha! ;-), and then I'll have to drop out of that, too. It's not worth getting an ulcer over. I just want what I believe should be a more rational and ordered and logical immigration program, is all. And some are getting close to accusing me of either racism, jingoism, Islamophobia or something similar. I fully expect several Godwin's Law violations in the next page or so. LOL!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Of course that's what it is. From both sides. On any issue.

Now shut the fuck up and listen to me...

THANK YOU, SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
ou are claiming a single tweet is the same as drafting and introducing legislation while calling those on the other side of the aisle bloodthirsty murders.

Uhhhh, not even close to what i or anyone else said. That exists completely in your imagination.

That is exactly what you are doing by using these two incident and equating them. In your OP, you are asking dirt fighter (among others) to condemn Trump for a single tweet in the same manner they condemned the Left for their actions following the LV shooting. Because they are so different, it is not hypocritical to condemn one action and not the other.

No, the real difference, as has been pointed out by several others previously, is you support one position and disagree with the other... so you've endeavored greatly to isolate a couple specific details to hide behind in order to couch the 2 in a differing light, which is again beside the point that is obvious to everyone else (notwithstanding Dirt Fighter having not chimed in yet).
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I propose some "common sense" Home Depot truck control...

Maybe a 30 day waiting period
Ban automatic trucks, who needs to shift that quickly
No noise suppression devices

JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Remember how much that was said after the las vegas shooting?

http://www.cnn.com/...yc-attack/index.html

Dirt fighter et al....Lets see how consistent you are...

Wait a minute, are you really comparing these comments to those who used the Las Vegas shooting to push for gun bans? Really?

If you want a consistent analogy, you would have point to people using this attack to call for a ban on Home Depot trucks.

NOTE: I AM NOT EXCUSING TRUMP'S COMMENTS (I AM ALSO NOT CONDEMNING THEM), I AM JUST ASKING WHETHER YOU CAN DISCERN AND ADMIT THE SIGNIFICANT FACTUAL DIFFERENCE IN THESE TWO SITUATIONS.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was quoting the OEDs definition of polticizng
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I was quoting the OEDs definition of polticizng

This one?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/politicize

often as adjective politicized
1Cause (an activity or event) to become political in character.
‘wage bargaining in the public sector became more politicized’
More example sentences
1.1 Make (someone) politically aware.
‘we successfully politicized a generation of women’
More example sentences
1.2no object Engage in or talk about politics.
‘we talk and squabble and politicize about education as a vote-catching agency’

Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
I propose some "common sense" Home Depot truck control...

Maybe a 30 day waiting period
Ban automatic trucks, who needs to shift that quickly
No noise suppression devices

#BanAssaultTrucksNow
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/politics
Phrases

• play politics

• Act for political or personal gain rather than from principle.
      ‘he railed against them for playing politics with the police department’"

Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Here you go:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/politics
Phrases

• play politics

• Act for political or personal gain rather than from principle.
      ‘he railed against them for playing politics with the police department’"

We arent talking about the phrase "play politics" we were talking about the word "politicize"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Politicize and "play politics" are nearly the same thing. I could substitute the two and you title would lose no meaning for example. So I chose that definition because I felt it was the best/closest to what you were trying to say. Feel free to disagree. Ironically using this definition is the one that supports your earlier thesis. I am not even sure what you are disagreeing with, come to think of it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My single post on that thread doesn't mention anything even close to "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy"
Smokin too many veggies??
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
ou are claiming a single tweet is the same as drafting and introducing legislation while calling those on the other side of the aisle bloodthirsty murders.

Uhhhh, not even close to what i or anyone else said. That exists completely in your imagination.

That is exactly what you are doing by using these two incident and equating them. In your OP, you are asking dirt fighter (among others) to condemn Trump for a single tweet in the same manner they condemned the Left for their actions following the LV shooting. Because they are so different, it is not hypocritical to condemn one action and not the other.

No, the real difference, as has been pointed out by several others previously, is you support one position and disagree with the other... so you've endeavored greatly to isolate a couple specific details to hide behind in order to couch the 2 in a differing light, which is again beside the point that is obvious to everyone else (notwithstanding Dirt Fighter having not chimed in yet).

Except that I don't, which I have stated very clearly in this thread.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Hey all you people making statements such as "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy" [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
My single post on that thread doesn't mention anything even close to "now is not the time to politicize this tragedy"
Smokin too many veggies??

It is absolute hell inside his head, as I have pointed out several times in the past.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply

Prev Next