Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perhaps the worst nominee ever
Quote | Reply
Really Donald? Nobody better?

"Sam Clovis, one of the Trump administration’s more controversial nominees for a political appointment, was already raising eyebrows ahead of his November 9 confirmation hearing before the Senate Agriculture Committee. To start, Clovis — who has been nominated to the position of undersecretary of research, education, and economics at the United States Department of Agriculture, the agency’s top science position — has no background in the the hard sciences, nor any experience with agricultural or nutritional science. Clovis is also a staunch climate science denier who accused President Barack Obama of “race baiting” and has called progressives “the real racists.”"

But on Monday, Clovis’ nomination took on new meaning when it was revealed that, while working as national co-chairman of the Trump campaign, he had encouraged George Papadopoulos, a campaign foreign policy adviser, to meet with Russian nationals in a potential effort to bolster the campaign. On Monday, unsealed court documents revealed that Papadopoulos had plead guilty to lying to federal agents about his communication with Russia.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best people, folks... THE BEST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumbing down America, one nominee at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Department of Agriculture, the agency’s top science position — has no background in the the hard sciences, nor any experience with agricultural or nutritional science

Honest question here but does really need a science background to be essentially a manager of a government agency?

I ask because the top dog at a certain county agency that I deal with almost daily has no background whatsoever in regulated industry and no education in environmental sciences (she has a literature degree) and she seems to be doing an adequate job at running her agency.

Quote:
who accused President Barack Obama of “race baiting” and has called progressives “the real racists.”"

Both are true.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Honest question here but does really need a science background to be essentially a manager of a government agency?

I think the manager would be the Secretary. This is the Undersecretary of Research, Education, and Economics. Which apparently oversees the science. So while maybe not essential, you'd probably put a science background on the list of desirable traits. While not actually doing science, probably has to communicate regularly with scientists and sometimes make decisions about scientific focus.

Maybe the Undersecretary can hire a science person to do sciency things, though. But someone has to act as chief scientist....
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I think the manager would be the Secretary. This is the Undersecretary of Research, Education, and Economics. Which apparently oversees the science. So while maybe not essential, you'd probably put a science background on the list of desirable traits. While not actually doing science, probably has to communicate regularly with scientists and sometimes make decisions about scientific focus.

Maybe the Undersecretary can hire a science person to do sciency things, though. But someone has to act as chief scientist....

Thanks.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this guy looks like he ate the science dept:

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

Holy shit!

Fuck that guy!!!!!!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Really Donald? Nobody better?

Probably having a hard time finding anyone willing to work in that administration. Who wants to start a job knowing that the odds are very likely that you'll be fired (and publicly humiliated) within weeks?
Last edited by: RZ: Oct 31, 17 19:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

It is like they called central casting and asked for 'useless middle manager'.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

It is like they called central casting and asked for 'useless middle manager'.

Reminds me of “Jake and The Fat Man” - really, they couldn’t think of any other name for that show

[Obligatory Seth McFarlane take on the show](https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CSsNNJVCamsj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really surprising considering all the quality people in the Trump camp...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Pruitt. Between his super-secret comms booth and his round-the-clock protection, I think he's batshit crazy.

As for why anyone would take these positions: they now have the ability to push their own agenda. Trump doesn't care what that agenda, as long as they don't publicly contradict or criticize him.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#MAGA!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even Clovis would appear to agree with your assessment:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...science-credentials/

Oh, and he also just withdrew himself from consideration.

http://thehill.com/...withdraws-nomination
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Nov 2, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best people, folks... THE BEST!

"They are all really terrific people" - Trump

"He's a terrific guy" - Trump again, talking about Paul Manfort

It get's more laughable every day!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Scott Pruitt. Between his super-secret comms booth and his round-the-clock protection, I think he's batshit crazy.

No crazier than anyone else who has a Cone of Silence:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWtPPWi6OMQ
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Dumbing down America, one nominee at a time.

Ah, but you forgot...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the words of Hawk Harrelson, "He gone."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Perhaps the worst nominee ever [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw Dubya on some other show recently... it's ASTONISHING how much smarter and more dignified he seems today than he was back in office. Some of it I think is actually a function of being able to speak more freely now that he's not on watch so to speak, and some too no doubt to legit wisdom accumulating w/ age, but of course mostly it's a function of how much Drumpf has lowered the bar in such a short time ~ he makes Fubya look like Winston Fucking Churchill...
Quote Reply