Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Family snorkeling trip location
Quote | Reply
Thinking of planning a spring break trip and my 2nd grader really wants to go snorkeling. Due to family commitments we have been limited in travel so this year we went to a local hotel and snorkeled in their pool with plastic fish I brought. So, she is pretty good with the equiptment- but has never swam in the ocean with waves.

So, what are some good beginner friendly snorkel vacation spots?
Quote Reply
Re: Family snorkeling trip location [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We went to isla mujeres this year. Id definitely go back

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bahamas or Hawaii depending where you are closer too.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's tons of great places to go. I'll stick to what I know - Big Island. Several places are accessible, Captain Cook can be hiked into or take a charter boat. Also have gone on a small charter that took us north of Kona to swim with the dolphins and whale watching. There's also an Kahulu'u beach right along Alii Drive, the entry can be a bit difficult but it's a good intro to reef snorkelling. I've heard some people have snorkeled at the Old Airport but I've never tried it's always been too rough when I was there. A good resource book IMO is Snorkel Hawaii - The Big Island, loads of places suggested there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Roatan. Media Luna resort.
Went 2 years ago with wife and our 8 & 12 year olds. The water is clear and full of tropical fish. The kids jumped into the ocean with snorkles and saw about 20 diferent types of fish in first 10minutes. We also did a day long snorkling boat tour to the reefs and Pigeon Cay - it was stunning. We swam with thousand of fish, saw octopi & shark. Kids loved it. So did I.

Resort was all inclusive, very small and private. They have about 200 tropical cabins instead of a big hotel. Everything was excellent except the buffet food which was just OK.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Kauai there is a place on the east side called Lyndgate park state beach. Also comes with a playground. Many years ago they made a rock enclosure that kids can snorkel in. Fish get in from the little holes in the rocks. Surprisingly quite a few fish in there. Anini Beach on the north side is good too.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Family snorkeling trip location [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waikaloa beach is great. Swam up and down day after Honu 70.3. There is a lot of reef life and a few buoy markers way out in case you want to get a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We snorkeled with our 1st graders in Maui at Napili and Kapalua Bay, and took a charter out to Molokini.
Quote Reply
Re: Family snorkeling trip location [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I love Hawaii but was curious what other spots would pop up. We are in CO so the ocean is far no matter where we go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonaire is fantastic for snorkeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Thinking of planning a spring break trip and my 2nd grader really wants to go snorkeling. Due to family commitments we have been limited in travel so this year we went to a local hotel and snorkeled in their pool with plastic fish I brought. So, she is pretty good with the equiptment- but has never swam in the ocean with waves.

Turks and Caicos
Aruba
Grand Cayman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar may have a recommendation here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...se_to_me_P6466703-2/[/url]

Jump to page 2 for her story.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Family snorkeling trip location [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From that story I get that snorkeling from shore is the way to go!
Quote Reply