Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Softride Owners Beam/Frame Detachment
Quote | Reply
I have owned a Softride Powerwing 700 since the early 2000's. I have owned dozens of bike since and the Softride is still my favorite bike to ride. Six months ago I started riding the Softirde exclusively. During my ride today I heard a creaking noise just below where my head is. When I lifted my weight off the beam it went away. Uh oh. I stopped and could tell there was play at the nose joint of the carbon beam. I finished the ride without placing much weight on the beam. Can this joint fail during a ride? I obviously will not ride the bike again until it can be fixed. This is the second beam on the bike and it is in great shape. Is there a way to fix this without buying a new beam? Can you even find a new beam for sale? Is there a way to reinforce this joint? I live and ride in Florida so there is a lot of sweat going on. I fear this might be the end of my softride. Any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Owners Beam/Frame Detachment [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check with Graeme Pearson in New Zealand via email, as he is the only person I know that has built a new beam for Softrides.

Pearsonbikes.com

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride used to make a "101 rebuild kit." It is the bolt, nut, and washer that anchor the beam to the frame. IIRC, Softride recommended replacing these every 5000 miles. I rode for 15 years before I replaced mine. I never heard any noises or experienced any unusual performance with mine. Best of luck.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These frames are easy to come by. Just pick up another one.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Owners Beam/Frame Detachment [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a hunch that Chicanery would chime in here. As he and I are the only 2 people known with actual Pearson beam bike frames.

As I mentioned, check with Graeme, as I know he has made a beam or two for Softrides.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply