Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

off-season swim strategy
Quote | Reply
I'm starting a marathon (1st marathon) training plan and will be running 6x/wk. I won't have a lot of time outside of that to swim. I'm a slightly above average swimmer. I will only be able to swim 1-2x per week (more likely only once). I plan on using it more as a recovery swim. Would you recommend more of an interval/strength workout or distance/pacing workouts. I was doing 3x/wk during my in season training (1 speed (i.e core set 15x100s), 1 stroke/drill, 1 distance (core set 2000 straight or 2x1500)). My swim definitely got better. I dropped my 1500m olympic swim (both wetsuit legal) from 26 to 22:30 in about 6 weeks (probably half of that was improved sighting). What's the best strategy to just maintain closest to my end of season form?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: off-season swim strategy [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intervals at goal pace to slightly faster, with a "reasonable" recovery between efforts. I see lots of examples of guys doing repeats with 5s rest, and I think "whats the point?" I'd rather increase the interval distance than try to work off such a minimal recovery.

I don't like to think of them as "strength" or "distance". It's about speed and efficiency, always trying to swim faster with less effort.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: off-season swim strategy [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'll try to focus on swimming 100s/200s for my main sets. Hopefully I can get a 2nd quick swim on my treadmill interval day. Do you think it would be beneficial to just get a straight 1500m swim immediately after a run if that's all I have time for?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any swim is worthwhile, but I am not a fan of doing anything over 400 straight. a 1500 straight isn't doing anything that 4 x 400 isn't, from an energy system standpoint, and you are more likely to introduce bad habits.

Some people on this board like them though. What do I know??

edit - I am also a fan of doing weird distances. 75's, 175's, 300's or 350's....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 31, 17 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: off-season swim strategy [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Any swim is worthwhile, but I am not a fan of doing anything over 400 straight. a 1500 straight isn't doing anything that 4 x 400 isn't, from an energy system standpoint, and you are more likely to introduce bad habits.

Some people on this board like them though. What do I know??

edit - I am also a fan of doing weird distances. 75's, 175's, 300's or 350's....

I dig 300's (but you can keep anything that ends in a 25 or 75 - otherwise I can't see the pace clock), 150's are cool too.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My answer to this when it comes to swimming is smash yourself. By this, I mean if you are swimming 1 - 2 times a week then they need to be 100% all in, come out broken sort of sessions. What do you need to recover from? You're not swimming enough to warrant a recovery swim. Can you join a local masters team? What is the point in getting in and doing drill work or easy 400's etc?

I'm actually of the opinion that for a lot of people they get too swept up in the perfect stroke. Must do hours of drills etc.Yeah sure, if you are swimming at 3 minute per 100m pace then you swim like a brick, but if you are at 22:30 or even 26:00 for a 1500 then you aren't slow.

I would imagine that most of your improvement was sighting - you aren't going to take 3:30 off a swim time in 6 weeks through hard training.
Quote Reply
Re: off-season swim strategy [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning the swimming days after my long runs. I can throw everything I have at it but don't anticipate I will have a full tank the morning after a 15-20 mile run. I'm not a good runner. It's why I'm throwing myself into the marathon training. I know a lot was sighting but some was swim technique and some was swim fitness. I dropped my pool 100 meter times by about 5-6 seconds during that time. I had a couple workouts with the local high school swim coach (who was a mutual friend).

Overall my goal is to maintain swim, maintain bike, improve my run this winter. I love this training but I can't/won't sacrifice family time.

I definitely appreciate reading all the ST topics and everyone's help here.

Quote Reply