Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Return of Beach2Battleship?
Quote | Reply
Apparently a buddy of mine from Wilmington heard a rumor that Ironman may be selling "B2B" back to Setup/PPD? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Please don't shoot the messenger and I know this is how all high school drama usually starts (Wendy heard Bobby tell Cindy that Billy cheated on Mary with Sally........)
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this is true!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would start training for tris again if this were true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One can only hope.

However, according a friends dad that works with the YMCA there that actually had the race with Setup, it is very unlikely.

I think they burned their bridge with Setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did the race 2 week ago for the first time and thought it was an extremely well run race. I don't know how the race was prior to its acquisition but curious to know how it was better. I want to go back next year and do it again so if it gets better I am definitely interested. Other than the cost how else was it better?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilalm wrote:
I just did the race 2 week ago for the first time and thought it was an extremely well run race. I don't know how the race was prior to its acquisition but curious to know how it was better. I want to go back next year and do it again so if it gets better I am definitely interested. Other than the cost how else was it better?

Thank you.

Small enough that T2 was actually INSIDE the convention center. That was cool!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilalm wrote:

Thank you.

For one, it wasn't a 70.3. :) No idea how it was better or not this year since i wasn't there but setup did a fantastic job the years I raced it as an Iron distance race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I didn't like about the Set Up Events version of the race was that they took away the morning clothes bags.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
bilalm wrote:

Thank you.

For one, it wasn't a 70.3. :) No idea how it was better or not this year since i wasn't there but setup did a fantastic job the years I raced it as an Iron distance race.

B2B ran a 70.3 concurrently with the 140.6.

I think most of the issues since the WTC acquisition have to do with the numbers of athletes vs what the venue can really handle.
Last edited by: beastofbourbon: Oct 31, 17 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastofbourbon wrote:
M~ wrote:
bilalm wrote:

Thank you.

B2B ran a 70.3 concurrently with the 140.6.

Did you miss the smiley face? Yes, there was a 70.3 mile race but it wasn't a 70.3 Brand. That post probably should have been in pink.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you think the venue couldn't handle the #s? Not being snarky, just curious.

My N=1, I started in the last AG wave (25-29), swam through previous waves (got a little congested) and rode through more waves with a decent bike split. At no point did I feel unduly inconvenienced by the numbers on the course. Went 3 wide only very rarely on the bike, but most of the riding was pretty clean. Way better than most of the sprint races I do in terms of bike course congestion back home.

Most of the riding gave us a full lane of traffic + shoulder, plenty of room IMO. Never felt like I had to make aggressive or near center-line passes.

Coming from Madison, where the inconvenience is all on 2 lane country roads for our races, I was in awe that the Wilmington/ Wrightsville Beach community puts up with basically shutting down a pair of major highways for a 70.3 race and the ensuing traffic headache that creates. If anything threatens the future of the race, I would think it would be the NIMBYism and the headache of the bike course on a Saturday morning

No one would accuse the IMNC 70.3 race of being "grassroots," but I guess I'm okay with that. It's the first WTC branded 70.3 race I have done, as I have done several local 70.3s in the Wisconsin area. I talked to some folks that weekend who did the race in the old B2B days, said there was more of an athlete amenity focus. Better swag (pajama pants), better post-race food, better atmosphere, better "experience" overall.

What I can say is that the WTC production value is higher than a lot of the races I have done previously, and that it was well-executed start to finish. At the end of the day, I got a safe course, mostly closed to traffic, and a chance to mix it up with a bunch of other people in a cool city.

Stunning swim venue setting, meh (but really fast) bike course, and a really solid run course. Loved that the run wasn't multi-loop or any BS like that. Will definitely consider this one again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
Apparently a buddy of mine from Wilmington heard a rumor that Ironman may be selling "B2B" back to Setup/PPD? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Please don't shoot the messenger and I know this is how all high school drama usually starts (Wendy heard Bobby tell Cindy that Billy cheated on Mary with Sally........)

Unfortunately, this is not true.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Why don't you think the venue couldn't handle the #s? Not being snarky, just curious.

My N=1, I started in the last AG wave (25-29), swam through previous waves (got a little congested) and rode through more waves with a decent bike split. At no point did I feel unduly inconvenienced by the numbers on the course. Went 3 wide only very rarely on the bike, but most of the riding was pretty clean. Way better than most of the sprint races I do in terms of bike course congestion back home.

Most of the riding gave us a full lane of traffic + shoulder, plenty of room IMO. Never felt like I had to make aggressive or near center-line passes.

Coming from Madison, where the inconvenience is all on 2 lane country roads for our races, I was in awe that the Wilmington/ Wrightsville Beach community puts up with basically shutting down a pair of major highways for a 70.3 race and the ensuing traffic headache that creates. If anything threatens the future of the race, I would think it would be the NIMBYism and the headache of the bike course on a Saturday morning

No one would accuse the IMNC 70.3 race of being "grassroots," but I guess I'm okay with that. It's the first WTC branded 70.3 race I have done, as I have done several local 70.3s in the Wisconsin area. I talked to some folks that weekend who did the race in the old B2B days, said there was more of an athlete amenity focus. Better swag (pajama pants), better post-race food, better atmosphere, better "experience" overall.

What I can say is that the WTC production value is higher than a lot of the races I have done previously, and that it was well-executed start to finish. At the end of the day, I got a safe course, mostly closed to traffic, and a chance to mix it up with a bunch of other people in a cool city.

Stunning swim venue setting, meh (but really fast) bike course, and a really solid run course. Loved that the run wasn't multi-loop or any BS like that. Will definitely consider this one again.

First of all, I'm betting that the new routing of the bike course across town was a huge improvement over that stretch that used the coned-off LEFT lane of an Interstate, but I do still worry about the congestion of that many people in an additional drawbridge crossing.

The biggest concerns about WTC numbers at that venue hinge on T2, and swim start logistics. I heard that in 2016, T2 was an absolute cluster. Did you at least not have gravel in T2 this year? And shuttling athletes to the swim start, while workable for the half, is really a deal-breaker for putting on a WTC-sized full there. Last year they tried to run full-sized buses from T1 to start, but still had to drop off almost a mile short because, unlike the trolleys, those buses couldn't turn around near the full start.

I'm still very curious as to what happened with the two outlying counties and how much that contributed to the full being deep-sixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kinda preferred it when T2 was at the Battleship, that last bridge took the life out you, but had a good downhill finish through the crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Return of Beach2Battleship? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I kinda preferred it when T2 was at the Battleship, that last bridge took the life out you, but had a good downhill finish through the crowd.

The best thing about T2 at the Battleship was no drawbridge to bike over in the final mile!

After doing the bike leg of a full relay in '09, I decided to bike back downtown (rather than wait in line for the water taxi) but I walked that damn drawbridge.
Last edited by: beastofbourbon: Oct 31, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T2 in 2016 was not a complete cluster (I did the "Fullish"). Was it ideal? No, but far from a complete cluster.

Quote Reply