Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Leddy wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Unfortunately he doesn’t get an allowance and any cash he gets for birthdays and such goes into an investment account or bank account.

Boring, get him mowing the lawn and other chores for pocket money.

I could take his candy tonight

You make him swim when he doesn't want to and brag about being able to literally take candy from a child. Your child. Goggles aren't what I'd be concerned about if I were you.

Re read the post before I wrote that and think about it for a second and then try to decide if I was being serious or kidding.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Toby wrote:
Leddy wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Unfortunately he doesn’t get an allowance and any cash he gets for birthdays and such goes into an investment account or bank account.

Boring, get him mowing the lawn and other chores for pocket money.

You make him swim when he doesn't want to and brag about being able to literally take candy from a child. Your child. Goggles aren't what I'd be concerned about if I were you.

Re read the post before I wrote that and think about it for a second and then try to decide if I was being serious or kidding.

I hope you were serious. I can't be the only one picking through my kid's stash of candy, can I?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Toby wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Leddy, seriously, it seems to be you who needs to think, not least because it’s your son. Maybe your post about the candy was kidding, but look at your other posts:

Leddy wrote:
I don't go to practices any more. We butt heads when I go.
So you have a history of conflicts with your son caused by your recurring dissatisfaction with the way he trains.

Leddy wrote:
He’s not loving swimming so maybe lost goggles means extra practice. That might be a win win.
How do you think he could love swimming if he feels it's something he needs to do in order to satisfy his father's ambition? You may want to read some basics about motivation, in particular in a child.

Leddy wrote:
If that was the case, knowing him, he would have given up after 2-3 pairs
You feel he's lacking perseverence. We can sense that from a few of your posts without even knowing you, and I bet your son can sense that too.

Maybe instead of seeing the lost goggles as the root of the problem, start looking what you can do in order for your son to develop a happy attitude towards his pasttime (probably the wrong word here) activity, whether that will be swimming going forward or something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. It's not just goggles or kids though is it. I'm constantly telling our 7 yr old to look after her stuff. Maybe it's genetic; Mummy has lost 3 paris of Ray Bans I've bought her over the last 7-8 years. Third strike was it. Whereas I still have the first Oakleys I ever bought in 1993!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [heartpatient] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you think he could love swimming if he feels it's something he needs to do in order to satisfy his father's ambition? You may want to read some basics about motivation, in particular in a child.

First of all WTF, are you kidding? When or where did I ever say something along those lines?

Quote:
So you have a history of conflicts with your son caused by your recurring dissatisfaction with the way he trains.
Again WTF , I never said dissatisfaction with the way he trains.

All this was about and Sally hit the nail on the head with the situation was a kid loosing goggles. Kids lose shit. The only reason it dawned on me was when he lost them a parent next to me heard us and was laughing about all the goggles her kid has lost. See some of the other people here who have said the same. I am the primary culprit because I had enough old pairs laying around that it was like giving out candy. I never told him it was ok to loose them but never found a way to make the message hit home enough I guess. It was never really a big deal except it always happens at an in opportune moment like a meet. Go ahead and read into that. Well that and I realized how many we've gone through.

I should have ignored your post like the other one that was about parenting. That's not what this is about. The way I wrote some of my posts leave room for your misinterpretation. I'll also take blame for that. If you wanted to help then I'd suggest maybe asking if I knew why he wasn't loving it or why we butted heads instead of drawing your own conclusion first. So let me try and clear that up for you.
Butting heads - he was being a distraction and misbehaving resulting in more then one conversation with him and the coach. It wasn't so much about swimming it was about good vs bad behavior in general. Once he got over that I stopped going to practice. He's a strong headed kid who doesn't want my help with most things. So as much as I'd love him to want my help I try to stay out of it unless he asks. Hence I don't go to practice unless he asks me to.

Not loving swimming right now - the same way he's not loving pretty much anything that doesn't involve video games and or desert. He's a kid. He gets to pick what sports he plays for the most part. Last year he wanted to play lacrosse. Guess what, he wasn't loving that all the time either. Guess what else, that had nothing to do with my ambitions either. Once he commits to something we try to make sure he finishes what he starts.

I'm not trying to hold myself out as a perfect parent. I freely admit to making mistakes with my kids. But again, you are reading into some stuff here that's not there. I grew up swimming year round. I know how much it can suck. At his age I wanted to quit and wanted to quit multiple times when I was young.(there's room there for some Freudian interpretation I'm sure) My mom and coaches wouldn't let me. Swimming got me into a great HS and a scholarship to college. But for the record, the one thing I struggle with him and swimming is if he gets to the point he wants to quit would I let him because he is good at it and more importantly it seems like it's natural for him. But it's not the most fun sport to practice so I am very mindful of how much it can suck. I saw some insane shit with parents and their kids growing up which is why there's been one consistent message for him with swimming, I don't care if you are first or last just give it your best. Same thing carries true with all his sports and activities. So I'm asking you don't call child services on me just yet.

Now please excuse me while I go back to looking for lost goggles.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are his name and your phone number sharpied on them?
Also consider odd colors no one else has. I had a pair of Swedes with one blue eye and one red. Those ones never got stolen.

When I was a kid I knew how many pieces of equipment I had to start practice and counted at the end too. Developing a routine with him around the goggles and it’ll help him learn responsibility.
Making swimming more unpleasant with shitty goggles or none will not get him where you want him to go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next