Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters
Quote | Reply
I am building up a new road bike and while the new DuraAce 91xx calipers and rotors seem fairly priced, the brifters are $1200. I can get the last gen R785 brifters for less than $400. Should there be any issues in compatibility? I assume not but want to be sure before I pick these up

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALL Shimano hydraulic brakes are compatible with each other.
Mix and match to your hearts content.
MTB and road, flat mount to four piston DH.
All levers work with all calipers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
I am building up a new road bike and while the new DuraAce 91xx calipers and rotors seem fairly priced, the brifters are $1200. I can get the last gen R785 brifters for less than $400. Should there be any issues in compatibility? I assume not but want to be sure before I pick these up

Thanks

One caveat to be aware of with the 785 brifters is that they only have one e-tube port per side. This just needs consideration for wiring options as the shifters can't be connected directly with standard e-tube wiring - the e-tube y-harness is required. Also won't allow direct connection sprint shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can mix, but why would you? Unless you are going to put the 9170 brake/shifters on later?
You can get XTR 9000 calipers pretty cheap and they are excellent brake calipers. I have used them on my fender bike and cross/gravel bike for 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
You can mix, but why would you? Unless you are going to put the 9170 brake/shifters on later?
You can get XTR 9000 calipers pretty cheap and they are excellent brake calipers. I have used them on my fender bike and cross/gravel bike for 2 years.

XTR calipers are post mount not flat mount though. You could use them with an adapter, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice clean looking flat mount fork/frame.

If you can wait, I'd go with Ultegra 8070 brifters. The R785 brifters are pretty bulky, whereas the 8070 brifters look and feel almost exactly like the rim brake version. And it looks like they can be found for $500-$600 for the set. I don't think there's a definite date of availability yet, but I'd imagine they'll be out there before springtime since they're starting to make their way into OEM now.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you say so- I have been running XTR 9000 for a long time on my Scott that was designed for flat mount- It does not at all look out of place.

Also- many existing bikes are not flat mount.

Main advantage to the 9170 shifters is:
1.) They are the same shape as the rim brake shifters. Not so big and bulbous.
2.) They don't buzz and rattle like the 785 levers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace Di2 9170 Caliper Compatibility(?) with last gen Di2 R785 Brifters [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PMo wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:

XTR calipers are post mount not flat mount though. You could use them with an adapter, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice clean looking flat mount fork/frame.

If you can wait, I'd go with Ultegra 8070 brifters. The R785 brifters are pretty bulky, whereas the 8070 brifters look and feel almost exactly like the rim brake version. And it looks like they can be found for $500-$600 for the set. I don't think there's a definite date of availability yet, I'd imagine they'll be out there before springtime since they're starting to make their way into OEM now.

Waiting 6+ months for these to show up isn’t that much of an option, and then what if it’s 12 months. The DA still isn’t universally available after being announced last year.

The new DA calipers and rotors look great and super clean. The brifters are also amazing but not 3x amazing
Quote Reply