Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What I learned about racing by not racing
Quote | Reply
Racing delineates my life. I commenced organized swim competitions at age nine, but distinctly recall my desire to be the fastest runner in pre-school by the age of four. Athletically, I never took a break…. baseball, soccer, football, track, and swimming explain my childhood through college years. After college I progressed quickly to triathlon, with bike racing and running also notorious arenas for my smug pursuits. I achieved quite a bit. Three large bins full of trophies, ribbons, plaques and medals. County Championships, State Championships and even a National Championship.

Athletics was my most conspicuous outlet, but far from the only one. Other “competitions” I engaged in are routine for most males… sex, money, power, accumulation of stuff, and a big one… always having the correct answer, otherwise known as being in control. In hindsight, it was all the same pursuit, seeking to regain the self I had forfeited early on. As Bell Hooks writes “The first act of violence that patriarchy demands is not violence towards women. Instead patriarchy demands of all males that they engage in acts of psychic self-mutilation, that they kill off the emotional part of themselves.”

Like most boys, I was deprived of much of my emotional intelligence early on. Taught all the statutes of manhood such as “don’t cry”, “man up!”, “men don’t hug”, “don’t touch too much” etc. Like most boys, I had my friendships with other males reduced to transactional affairs. Friendships of proximity with guys on the same team or in the same club.

I’ve spent the better part of half a century struggling to grasp how I could win so many competitions, both athletically and otherwise, and still be isolated and unfulfilled. Beyond a very fortuitous choice of spouse, my life has often appeared to be a game of “bad decision whack-a-mole”. Violence and aggression, addictions of diverse flavors, failure to express emotion, financial insecurity, inability to work well with others, and sexual indiscretion have all been crushed under force of will, only to instantly emerge in other forms, in other corners of my existence. Only recently have I started to glimpse (or care to glimpse) what is the problem behind all the problems.

I’ve always thought of myself as separate – an island. I’ve always rationalized life as a zero-sum game – “For me to win, you have to lose”. I’ve always understood the expression of emotions to be signs of weakness; “Boys don’t cry”. I’ve always theorized that the purpose of my existence was to dominate.

It’s been over five years since I entered a race, and it has taken that long to have the vaguest notion of where it all went wrong, though ‘never went right’ is closer to genuine. Why I experienced debilitating anxiety before every race as an age group swimmer. Anxiety that arrived undiminished, though more carefully concealed, with adulthood.

Racing should be a celebration of our shared humanity, while for me it has been a battle to dictate outcomes. My entire self-worth rested upon winning, accumulating, and dominating. The illogical fears that inform us that to have enough, someone else must go without, are the same engineers of the emptiness that provoked me to race, purchase, consume, fornicate, and live through domination of my world.

I am realizing that it is possible to best a person in a race and not diminish them, but rather dignify them, and myself in the process. Perhaps more importantly, that it is ok to not win. When I can race from this place, maybe I will race again.

More urgently, I’ve grasped that it is possible to possess in such a manner that others need not possess less. It is possible to live by connecting to humanity, instead of taking from it. Knowing these things are true, yet presently impotent to live them unconditionally, my current undertaking is cleaning house. Going back. Letting go. Forgiving. Connecting. Seeking balance. I desire to race again someday, but my deeper longing is to find and live with joy, and if I race, to race with joy, disregarding the results.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 30, 17 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned about racing by not racing [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I read that.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of my own self in this post. Thanks.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best things I've ever read on a forum. I've been out of racing for some time, another go-around, really, and have gotten to much the same conclusions (never expressed so well, though).

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said, Big D.
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned about racing by not racing [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
One of the best things I've ever read on a forum. I've been out of racing for some time, another go-around, really, and have gotten to much the same conclusions (never expressed so well, though).

Thank you.

I agree. Excellent post :) Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The part about life being a "zero sum game" reminded me of an article with some similar themes - Your Life is Tetris. Stop Playing It Like Chess. Hope you enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent post. Well done, sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well said, and many things a lot of us can relate to. I am so alike in a lot of this......Thanks so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I've always bee a bit more laid back and not really competitive, but have a friend whose mentality sounds eerily similar to what you described. I've never been able to see where he was coming from b/c we have a fundamentally different way in which we view life, competition, etc. I think this may have helped me understand him a bit more, and for that I thank you sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked this part, well done. Really enjoyed this

"I am realizing that it is possible to best a person in a race and not diminish them, but rather dignify them, and myself in the process. Perhaps more importantly, that it is ok to not win. When I can race from this place, maybe I will race again."

FindinFreestyle wrote:
Racing delineates my life. I commenced organized swim competitions at age nine, but distinctly recall my desire to be the fastest runner in pre-school by the age of four. Athletically, I never took a break…. baseball, soccer, football, track, and swimming explain my childhood through college years. After college I progressed quickly to triathlon, with bike racing and running also notorious arenas for my smug pursuits. I achieved quite a bit. Three large bins full of trophies, ribbons, plaques and medals. County Championships, State Championships and even a National Championship.

Athletics was my most conspicuous outlet, but far from the only one. Other “competitions” I engaged in are routine for most males… sex, money, power, accumulation of stuff, and a big one… always having the correct answer, otherwise known as being in control. In hindsight, it was all the same pursuit, seeking to regain the self I had forfeited early on. As Bell Hooks writes “The first act of violence that patriarchy demands is not violence towards women. Instead patriarchy demands of all males that they engage in acts of psychic self-mutilation, that they kill off the emotional part of themselves.”

Like most boys, I was deprived of much of my emotional intelligence early on. Taught all the statutes of manhood such as “don’t cry”, “man up!”, “men don’t hug”, “don’t touch too much” etc. Like most boys, I had my friendships with other males reduced to transactional affairs. Friendships of proximity with guys on the same team or in the same club.

I’ve spent the better part of half a century struggling to grasp how I could win so many competitions, both athletically and otherwise, and still be isolated and unfulfilled. Beyond a very fortuitous choice of spouse, my life has often appeared to be a game of “bad decision whack-a-mole”. Violence and aggression, addictions of diverse flavors, failure to express emotion, financial insecurity, inability to work well with others, and sexual indiscretion have all been crushed under force of will, only to instantly emerge in other forms, in other corners of my existence. Only recently have I started to glimpse (or care to glimpse) what is the problem behind all the problems.

I’ve always thought of myself as separate – an island. I’ve always rationalized life as a zero-sum game – “For me to win, you have to lose”. I’ve always understood the expression of emotions to be signs of weakness; “Boys don’t cry”. I’ve always theorized that the purpose of my existence was to dominate.

It’s been over five years since I entered a race, and it has taken that long to have the vaguest notion of where it all went wrong, though ‘never went right’ is closer to genuine. Why I experienced debilitating anxiety before every race as an age group swimmer. Anxiety that arrived undiminished, though more carefully concealed, with adulthood.

Racing should be a celebration of our shared humanity, while for me it has been a battle to dictate outcomes. My entire self-worth rested upon winning, accumulating, and dominating. The illogical fears that inform us that to have enough, someone else must go without, are the same engineers of the emptiness that provoked me to race, purchase, consume, fornicate, and live through domination of my world.

I am realizing that it is possible to best a person in a race and not diminish them, but rather dignify them, and myself in the process. Perhaps more importantly, that it is ok to not win. When I can race from this place, maybe I will race again.

More urgently, I’ve grasped that it is possible to possess in such a manner that others need not possess less. It is possible to live by connecting to humanity, instead of taking from it. Knowing these things are true, yet presently impotent to live them unconditionally, my current undertaking is cleaning house. Going back. Letting go. Forgiving. Connecting. Seeking balance. I desire to race again someday, but my deeper longing is to find and live with joy, and if I race, to race with joy, disregarding the results.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You basically just described the difference between a winner and loser.

I don't mean loser to be derogatory...Winners possess the drive you describe and is what it takes to reach the pointy end of the spectrum. The reason....there is always someone else with the same drive you describe and they will beat you if you don't have it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am realizing that it is possible to best a person in a race and not diminish them, but rather dignify them, and myself in the process.

This reminded me of an OWS I was in last year. My self and another participant were approaching the finish with less than a quarter mile left. With the finish in sight, we both were red lining it, literally side by side as we were jostling for position. I don't think I've ever swam that hard in my life. We both got out at the same time, looked at each other, high fived and thanked each other for their effort. It was the best part of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned about racing by not racing [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:

Yeah as you say, maybe the difference between "a winner and the also-rans" is more apt. The 'winner' in many walks of life generally sacrifices the most too, often their humanity as the OP states.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, if there were more posts like this on here I'd actually come back more than once every six months or so.

Good for you!!!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: What I learned about racing by not racing [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:

I don't mean loser to be derogatory...Winners possess the drive you describe and is what it takes to reach the pointy end of the spectrum. The reason....there is always someone else with the same drive you describe and they will beat you if you don't have it.

I was thinking he described the difference between a competitive, pointy end of the stick athlete and the mid pack age grouper.

People like me do it for fun even though we know every time we line up to start that we have no chance to win. It's fun. Have it taken away from you for some reason and you figure that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos for an exceptionally honest, insightful post. I've been thinking about related issues a lot recently. Various accomplishments--athletic, artistic, scientific, and otherwise--often seem rooted in profound pathologies like self-loathing, insecurity, isolation, etc. A well-adjusted person with healthy relationships to themselves and others seems far less likely to seek out the pain and sacrifice that excelling necessarily entails. It still seems worth trying to be in a healthier relationship to oneself (and therefore others), but it's a shame that seems to come at an individual and societal cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. Our society can be so unhealthy for boys and men ... I got a lot out of "The Secret Life of Men" along these lines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winners are different. Not always a healthy happy life. But to win some times something has to give.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is excellent.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That was an absolutely fabulous post, and quite timely for me personally.

Thank you for sharing and I wish you well.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply