Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which IM Training plan?
Quote | Reply
I'm about to start a 24 week training plan for IMTX. I just don't know which one is best suited for me. Here are a few things that should be taken in consideration about me:

1. I don't have much of a base due to being hit by car while biking and to a lesser extent being lazy
2. I like to be told to run at THIS pace and ride at THIS watts. Willing to get the LT tests to properly setup run/bike zones.
3. RPE doesn't work for me because I'm not a good self gage. I tend to be a wuss on the bike and push too hard on the run.
4. 9 to 10 workouts a week is the most that my lifestyle with support.
5. I'm a very strong runner an ok biker and below average swimmer.
6. If I devote the time to biking I'll probably be pretty good. I have a decent engine :)
7. I'm extremely inflexible so getting streamline in the water is a challenge. I plan to stretch regularly to help my shoulder flexibility (as well as the rest of my body)
8. Completed IMTX 2014.
9 Scratched IMAZ 2016 30 days before race week because I tore my labrum.
10. Completed several marathons, including Boston.
11. Completed a couple 70.3's
12. I would prefer a plan to tell me run 10 miles versus run for 60 minutes
13. I'm 46 years old

I'm considering one of the following plans. Is there one that stands out as ideal for me based upon the information above? If not, is there one plan author that is more highly regarded compared to the others?

Author: Mike Ricci, USA Triathlon Coach of the Year and Level 3 Elite Coach ADVANCED
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...ower-pace-hr-and-rpe

Author: Mike Ricci, USA Triathlon Coach of the Year and Level 3 Elite Coach BEGINNER
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...-by-power-hr-and-rpe

Author:
Phil Mosley
- My Pro Coach
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...-optimized-re-usable

Author: Alison Freeman - TrainerRoad Plan
D3 Multisport
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...lan-using-power-pace

A Joel Friel plan

A Matt Fitzgerald plan

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Last edited by: NewbieTri100: Oct 30, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM Training plan? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael - send me an email and I'd be happy to set up a call with you to give you my thoughts based on your goals/ability/time to train. mike at d3multisport dot com - thank you for considering our plans.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM Training plan? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
Michael - send me an email and I'd be happy to set up a call with you to give you my thoughts based on your goals/ability/time to train. mike at d3multisport dot com - thank you for considering our plans.

Mike,

Thank you for the offer. I'm email you right after replying to your post.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to which plan you pick. I have similar stats, minus any 140.6 completed races. I am also considering the IMTX as my first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote the plans on beginnertriathlete.com. Many have used those plans and have been more than happy with the results.

For my first two IMs, I used Mike Plumb (tripower.org). I felt very prepared given my training in both. Mike is a very cost effective option of getting personalized training.

For my last IM, I used Don Fink's book and also felt very prepared. More than enough volume but I think his plans could sacrifice some volume for intensity.

I'll be using Endurance Nation for my next IM. Am currently doing their OutSeason plan and very happy so far (ran my 3rd fastest 5k ever just this past weekend).
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM Training plan? [rbrous9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrous9 wrote:
I'm curious as to which plan you pick. I have similar stats, minus any 140.6 completed races. I am also considering the IMTX as my first.

Gladly.
Quote Reply
Re: Which IM Training plan? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote the plans on beginnertriathlete.com. Many have used those plans and have been more than happy with the results.

For my first two IMs, I used Mike Plumb (tripower.org). I felt very prepared given my training in both. Mike is a very cost effective option of getting personalized training.

For my last IM, I used Don Fink's book and also felt very prepared. More than enough volume but I think his plans could sacrifice some volume for intensity.

I'll be using Endurance Nation for my next IM. Am currently doing their OutSeason plan and very happy so far (ran my 3rd fastest 5k ever just this past weekend).

Thanks for the input Jonathan. Did any of the plans that you used have structured workouts with specific mileage directions? I much rather be told to do a long run of 7 miles versus run for 60 minutes. Same for the bike. Of course I'd like the paces and wattage as well.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
Jonathan22 wrote:

Thanks for the input Jonathan. Did any of the plans that you used have structured workouts with specific mileage directions? I much rather be told to do a long run of 7 miles versus run for 60 minutes. Same for the bike. Of course I'd like the paces and wattage as well.

Michael

Mike Plumb writes distance based plans primarily for running and a combo of time and distance for bike depending on indoors/outdoor riding. His swim and bike workouts are on his website tripower.org (those are all written as time due to being indoors-based but will give you an idea of the level of detail Mike's workouts are). Mike will give you a power/pace/HR file depending on if you use any or all of those. My workouts looked like:
Monday - 4 mile run - easy to moderate effort (Z2 HR)
Tuesday - 8 mile run - include 4x4' at tempo w/ 2' easy
Wednesday - 1 hour bike - 4x8' @ 200 watts w/ 2' easy *** this was indoors
Saturday - 30 mile ride - easy to moderate effort (Z2 HR)
Sunday - 12 mile run - easy to moderate effort (Z2 HR)

What I liked most about his workouts were that they were very easy to follow. Most weeks I look at the schedule and though "that looks easy" but by Friday I was definitely feeling it.

When I got into triathlon in 2007, I used Mike Ricci's plans on beginnertriathlete. From what I recall, those where mostly time based. At the time, I was using HR only and those plans worked well for that.

EN is time based also, as is Don Fink's plans.

In order of most to least detailed guidance: EN, Ricci, Plumb, Fink

Also, EN plans are written for power/pace/HR/PE. Plumb will write workouts using all those tools. Fink is HR only. The Ricci plans I used here HR/PE based but I'm sure is newer plans are more updated to include power and maybe paced (since he responded earlier, I'm sure he can chime in).

Personally, I understand where you are coming from. I have gone back and forth on liking time vs distance more. I've always ended up looking at both (e.g. converting a known running time to distance based on expected pace).
Last edited by: Jonathan22: Oct 30, 17 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worked with coaches and also tried published plans - my personal experience is that I was much more likely to follow the plan with a coach because I was committed and accountable.

Looking over what my load and workouts were - there was not all that much difference between what my coach gave me and what I might tear our of 'Triathlete' magazine or similar. No disrespect to the coaches, but for a MOP, Middle-aged guy there aren't any real mysteries. When I tried to follow a generic plan however - I just hit snooze when the 5:30AM swim session came due - with a coach I would get out of bed.

So my guidance would be to pick the plan you feel will create the most personal investment from you - that is the one you are most likely to follow and succeed with. That could be the most expensive one ;-)

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone's input.

I decided to do a 8 week bike focused plan from Mike Ricci @D3Multisport then transition into a 16 week Ironman plan from him afterwards.

I went that direction (was leaning that way from the beginning) because of Mike's experience as a coach and triathlete (20 years coaching, writes plans for the age group world teams and the triathlon team coach at Colorado) coupled with him taking the time to walk me through which plan(s) is best for my goals and deficiencies.

I am also considering signing up for some coaching. Partially because I want the accountability and partially because I want some customization.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Michael
Quote Reply