Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership
Quote | Reply
What have we got. What am i missing for total cost of ownership.

Purchase Price
Stamp Duty / Tax on purchase
Moving costs

Thats all in on day 1

After that:

Mortgage
Maintenance
Renovations
Utilities
Insurance
Annual Taxes

If a property appreciates i would exclude the taxes, utilities and insurance as i would have those if i bought a new one.

Am i missing anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be a first time buyer...

Landscaping-- we're constantly ripping out plants and sticking new ones in the ground
Lawn and garden equipment-- shovels, rakes, lawnmowers
Lawn care if you go that route, fertilizer, mowing company
New furniture since the old stuff won't match the house
Paint since you'll hate what's on the walls now... and a ladder, paint brushes, new carpet since you'll spill a gallon of paint on the old carpet.
Artwork for the walls unless you like staring at the new paint
New appliances, you didn't think you could get away with that 15 year old Kenmore washing machine did you?
Homeowners association fees if your new place is covered by one of those evil entities

I'll stop now... this is depressing since my wife and I are thinking of building.
Quote Reply
Re: Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With building new you get what you want and don't have to renovate for at least 10 years. So that can be a plus. It was for us. I just removed and filled in the swimming pool 14 years after putting it in.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleagain wrote:
You must be a first time buyer...

I'm pretty sure the OP buys/sells and owns multiple investment properties.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One unexpected fee that bit us was 'property transfer tax'. Since we were first time buyers we thought we were exempt (we weren't really transferring anything). $12k hit on a $550k property after paying all the other fees. That sucked.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consider much of that rennovation and maintenance.

Surveys. I missed surveys and legal.

Cant think of anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never flipped one intentionally though i am now seriously thinking about it. I need to make sure i have not missed something barn door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Mind if I ask where?

Quote Reply
Re: Property Transaction Costs and Cost of Ownership [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
France. I need to figure some things out. Basically we got quite a good deal because the house was in a terrible state. All superficial but very tatty. We are sorting those things out now
The value in moving (if i can get equity out and rent it that would be preferable but i am not sure its doable) is now i.e. the value wont continue to appreciate it just goes from X to Y once work is done. It wont continue to rise by x / year afterwards as prices are pretty static and if we stay in it my kids will destroy the value with crayons ;)

The house is perfect in everyway except 3; we cant walk to anything such as shops, we have to many olives and land is a PITA, and we can move "up the hill" and get same size house, less land and walk to stuff for 60-75% of what we paid.

Its not like where you are, where i might sit on it because the markets insane. Here the market is pretty stable and not inflationary.

Anyway, its pretty straightforwards, purchase costs plus expenses deducted from sales price minus commission and legal fees. We will see if it makes sense.

Even if it were cost neutral it may make sense for the access issues as i wont have lost anything except for the aggravation of moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too many olives - talk about first world problems! ;-)

Market here is going to change big time. New governments (provincial and municipal) are hard left leaning, implimenting very strict rent controls, banning Airbnb, etc. It will be interesting to see the fall out. As a relatively new buyer and new landlord, it kind of sucks for me. Something tells me the abusive slum lords that manipulated the system and got us to this mess will skate free while regular middle class people with one rental property or suite will get screwed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have already been screwed by changes such as loss of mortg int deduction. So if you have a 10k / yr mort payment and income is 15k a year and you are a higher rate tax payer e.g. 40% on everything over 40k. You now pay tax on the 15k at 40%, not 15 after you have deducted the 10 in interest.

I suspect if they decide to try and do you over as a landlord, perhaps you might just look for house mates. I bet there will be ways round it.

I always thought airbnb would screw everyone, especially in markets where it prices people out of long term rentals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not Airbnb that's screwing people over. It's governments propping up an outdated and obsolete hotel business model and industry.

Quote Reply