Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid HR monitor
Quote | Reply
My Garmin HR monitor always gives me crazy numbers when I first start running. First Mile it tells me I'm at 155 to 168. I check and I'm at like 110 to 120. It always seems to settle in by 2 mi. What gives.?
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
My Garmin HR monitor always gives me crazy numbers when I first start running. First Mile it tells me I'm at 155 to 168. I check and I'm at like 110 to 120. It always seems to settle in by 2 mi. What gives.?

It takes time for you to break enough of a sweat for good conduction for the pick up strap. Using and electrode gel will help as will a good dob of spit. My Garmin seems to lock into my run cadence if the contacts worn dry.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I used to think this but I'm not so sure anymore. I still got some wacky high readings with electrode gel with a chest strap.

I've now switched to the optical scosche rhythm+ which is super reliable but even that one goes sky high if I'm not warmed up. Same effect.

I wonder if it's a skin circulation thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a similar problem with a Garmin HR strap. No matter how wet the strap was, it gave me high reading or none at all. That was after changing the battery. Was told by my LBS that they had a few problems with several of them. Bought a Wahoo HR strap and never had any problem afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had this problem for a while, it only seemed to happen on colder runs when I was wearing any kind of tech fabric shirt over the chest strap.
Seems like the friction between the plastic abd a dry tech shirt was causing some type of static that was throwing it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
I have had this problem for a while, it only seemed to happen on colder runs when I was wearing any kind of tech fabric shirt over the chest strap.
Seems like the friction between the plastic abd a dry tech shirt was causing some type of static that was throwing it off.

I get this too on my Optical heart rate monitor, which obviously won't have static electricity issues, which makes me thinks it's a skin circulation blood flow thing. I'll bet my Optical heart-rate monitor locks onto the wrong vessel in the skin before the skin is warmed up or maybe blood flow is greatly increased to skin during the warm-up phase.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [AB22VP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB22VP wrote:
Had a similar problem with a Garmin HR strap. No matter how wet the strap was, it gave me high reading or none at all. That was after changing the battery. Was told by my LBS that they had a few problems with several of them. Bought a Wahoo HR strap and never had any problem afterwards.

the strap always gives me issues!
numbers are allover the chart
one reason to move to the Fenix 5 HR with no strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Fishbum and All,

Try moving the strap above your nipples.

While not likely .....

If it makes a difference you may have some electrical heart issues.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My strap takes about 10 to 13 minutes before it is working correctly, even with the spit on it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Fishbum and All,

Try moving the strap above your nipples.

While not likely .....

If it makes a difference you may have some electrical heart issues.

Way to make me paranoid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And why does it level out after a little.
I tried it above and it couldn't get any heart rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Fishbum and All,

Strap just above nipples worked for me ..... ????

Let's see if anyone else chimes in .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the straps can become an issue when they are old, and also cheaper straps are not as good, you can actually measure a difference in conductivity between new,old and cheap ones, and also the polar ones.

Also they dont like accidently going throughthe tumble dryer!

polar straps are definately better.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HR monitor [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a mio fuse and it works wonderfully indoors and seems to have no issue with responsiveness but since I've been using it for CX races it takes a good while once the race actually starts to get a good reading, even when I have the monitor going during my warmup lap. Weird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke to Garmin support about it and replaced two straps. Same issue - high numbers for about 10-15 minutes then it comes down to the right number. This only happens in running (not cycling) with tech shirt that is not tight (if i wear a compression shirt or hydration pack there is no problem). Garmin support suggested that it is due to friction between the shirt and the strap and I should use cotton shirts. Right.

The only thing I found to mitigate the issue is to totally soak the strap in water before the run. Not just a little water on the electrodes, but the whole thing totally wet. It solves the problem 99% of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the fall/winter, my HR monitor always gives me issues at the beginning of rides until I sweat enough. I am guessing in the static electricity from the extra baselayer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
Straps generally last, depending on training and washing, 1.5 years or so ??? Always hand wash and hang to dry. If you have an issue with static, try wearing it on your back, put it on normally and spin it around. I would also put it on and then stretch, this might help with moisture and help the transmission. I can not speak on other brands and quality or technology, but this could help some. Not sure of the other brands have a rep on ST to chime in but I am happy to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got spikes, drop outs, and inconsistent readings with Garmin soft straps. Used the Polar strap for a while, which the Garmin sensor will 'kinda sorta not really' fit; the strap buckled just a hair behind the sensor, but that was enough to chafe and leave a constant raw spot on my chest. Finally went back to the old style Garmin hard strap a couple years ago and haven't had any issues since.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only thing I found to mitigate the issue is to totally soak the strap in water before the run. Not just a little water on the electrodes, but the whole thing totally wet. It solves the problem 99% of the time.

^^^^This and following the care instructions. I always use warm water to soak the strap though!

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My strap either doesn't read at all (if it's too dry) or is accurate (as far as I know).

Mine is also fine a little above the belly button, if I'm trying to even out tan lines. This is all in super-sweaty Texas, though.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply