Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Olympic Distance Run Training
Quote | Reply
Hello Olympic Distance guys and gals out there who are getting the 10K in the high 30 low 40 minute range, please tell me about your run training? Duration, miles, pace, bricks?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Distance Run Training [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fastest 10k in a Olympic distance tri was a 36:05.

Weekly, I would do one long run (approx. 12 miles steady, fast finish), one tempo run (8-9 miles) and one track workout (e.g. 12 x 400, 5-6 mile repeats, 3 x 2 miles, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to do 40-45 miles weekly back in my obsessed years. One traditional track day, 3-4 days of (too fast) temp / marathon pace running and generally one fast run off the bike every week or two. I topped out at 36:xx off an accurate 40k for an accurate 10k triathlon run. I rarely ran longer than 9 miles in a single run, but my track sessions would occasionally be 9-11 total miles.

If I had to do it again, I would run off the bike even less while shooting for the same 40ish miles weekly. I would do 3 days really slow and up my dedicated speed sessions to twice weekly. Keep in mind I would train that way to dip down into the 35s, and not what I would prescribe to someone hovering closer to 45:xx off the bike run. Those athletes would still be on the "just run more" + a bunch of strides regimen. If you haven't held maybe 30 mile/week for an extended period, real speedwork should not be a frequent occurrence. 5k's make good speedwork for the first few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in the high 30's I'd run 4 days a week or so. 3 5ks and 1 10k. Always at a good pace. Usually on the treadmill.

I'd also bike 100 or so a week. Again - at a hard pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the training for this is just as the training would be if you were 5 minutes slower or faster. The difference is just the pace, not the effort.

Do mostly relaxed runs, not pushing. Only do one or two hard runs a week. Make one of them be some sort of tempo. It doesn't have to be structured every week. It can just be "run comfortably hard". Yes, hard, but comfortably hard. The other hard day should be something different. Hill reps, track workout, some race on the weekend, whatever fits but keep the stimulus changing.

Beyond that it's just a matter of how many easy miles can you run without getting worn down, sick of running, or missing your swim/bike workouts.

I personally think bricks are the most pointless, overrated workout there is in triathlon. However, I have nothing to back that up except personal experience.
Quote Reply