Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight loss over the next 8 months.
Quote | Reply
Lots of hilly cycling events booked for 2018, biggest event is in July 2018 1000km and 9500mts of climbing . Reasonably fit at the moment but over weight. Need / want to loose about 36 pounds over the next 8 months !! ( 5/10ft and 210 pounds today ) Want to maintain energy levels for training and not loose power.. Any Tios..

Regards Colin.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss over the next 8 months. [niloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colin,

Weight loss will occur, unless there is a very specific underlying health issue, when you consume less calories than you burn. Meaning, calories in need to be less than calories out. It helps to burn a lot of calories through exercise, but you have to make sure you are not over-compensating with too many calories after your workout.

Also, you don't want you calorie deficit to be too great. Generally, a 400-500 calorie deficit is recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From some one who lost the weight and kept energy... And kept the weight off...

Immediately cutout:
Soda
Diet soda
Processed foods
Protein bars
Sugar
Artificial sugar
Simple carbs... White rice, bread, pasta, flour potatoes

If you replace those sugars and carbs with complex carbs like whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice, black beans you will see a decrease in inches and weight and will keep your energy. After a couple of weeks you will have more energy.

I would try that for three weeks before adding to your weight loss strategy.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Oct 28, 17 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do agree to cut the junk- but not all carbs. You need carbs for energy and recovery.

But as mentioned, a 400-500 calorie per day deficit is a good rule.

This deficit needs to be maintained over a long period of time- cheat meals, cheat days, rewards all cut into this. Consistency is key-

The worst culprit for many is alcohol- It is so ingrained.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss over the next 8 months. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good tips and ideas.....Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss over the next 8 months. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

Immediately cutout:
Soda
Diet soda
Processed foods
Protein bars
Sugar
Artificial sugar

If you replace those sugars and carbs with complex carbs like whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice, black beans you will see a decrease in inches and weight and will keep your energy. After a couple of weeks you will have more energy.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP (5'10, about 190, want to be 170). I plan to essentially do the above, with the help of a dietician to hopefully keep me honest. Aside from above foods, I'm guessing chicken breasts and broccoli are going to be my friends....
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss over the next 8 months. [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

Immediately cutout:
Soda
Diet soda
Processed foods
Protein bars
Sugar
Artificial sugar

I'm in a similar boat as the OP (5'10, about 190, want to be 170). I plan to essentially do the above, with the help of a dietician to hopefully keep me honest. Aside from above foods, I'm guessing chicken breasts and broccoli are going to be my friends....

While chicken breast and broccoli can make good friends, they can get boring fast. The calories factor is more important here than the type of food you eat. I am not promoting IIFYM, where people claim you can eat pop tarts and lose weight. Although technically true, this exaggerated approach is not recommended for nutritional reasons.

Eat healthy and clean foods you can enjoy/bear on a consistent basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss over the next 8 months. [Iron_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron_monkey wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:

Immediately cutout:
Soda
Diet soda
Processed foods
Protein bars
Sugar
Artificial sugar

While chicken breast and broccoli can make good friends, they can get boring fast. The calories factor is more important here than the type of food you eat. I am not promoting IIFYM, where people claim you can eat pop tarts and lose weight. Although technically true, this exaggerated approach is not recommended for nutritional reasons.

Eat healthy and clean foods you can enjoy/bear on a consistent basis.

For your veggies, dont forget that squash and zucchini are low in calorie and have a good ratio of protein. They are a little less boring than brocolli.

I started thinking of food as fuel, so I no longer care if something is boring. I eat the same thing every week cause I know it works for fuel and recovery.

Carbs are important, so try to get those sweet potatoes and some brown rice in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard this recently....“you can’t out-train a bad diet”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niloc wrote:
Lots of hilly cycling events booked for 2018, biggest event is in July 2018 1000km and 9500mts of climbing . Reasonably fit at the moment but over weight. Need / want to loose about 36 pounds over the next 8 months !! ( 5/10ft and 210 pounds today ) Want to maintain energy levels for training and not loose power.. Any Tios..

Regards Colin.

I think we are twins :)

I'm a pretty strong rider... but the added weight is BRUTAL on the hills (of course). I did the NY Grand Fondo at about 215 lbs (5'10). It was horrible compared to my lighter friends.I vowed I will be lighter next year... way lighter.

I'm on board too... the ride is 5/18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For most people it's a calories in/out equation. For some reason that didn't really work for me, even after careful weighing and tracking. I reviewed my old training logs and realized I was at my most successful when following a paleo diet, cutting out grains specifically. It's not a gluten sensitivity as rice and gluten free oats both result in incredible bloating and weight gain. I have essentially gone to a paleo diet the past couple of weeks and am eating the same number of calories and the pounds are flying off. I don't know what the mechanism is behind it, but there's definitely something odd in my underlying health. This is n=1 obviously. I would start with what other people have recommended as I'm not necessarily a fan of cutting out entire food groups, but if you find you're still having issues than maybe consider an elimination diet to see if there's something specific that bothers you.
Quote Reply