Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rice, beans, eggs, peanut butter
I'm a vegetarian; no idea how much meat costs. But eggs are cheap :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
And no, you don't get fat from eating good fat.

This, plus there are a lot of vitamins and other trace minerals that are fat soluble and you are missing out if you cut out too many fats. Multivitamins are an expensive way to get those nutrients, plus you are likely getting overdosed on some vitamins. Get some fish into your diet.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think screwed up in the head is the right Word.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's hard to believe how many don't understand that.

It's the power of the special interest groups brought to you by the sugar and "fat-free" food industry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If 420 means what it means around Boulder - those are some expensive greens you could cut from your budget!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been proven times and times again that eating healthier is cheaper than eating crap. Here are some of my suggestions:
1- ditch the Vega protein! It's so pricy... I used a brown rice protein generic brand for a while and was quite happy, price was very low (don't remember exact cost).

2- shop the sales!!! Go to a grocery store that is known for lower prices (usually simply because the veggies and fruits are not as pretty) and look at the flyer online ahead of time to see what is on sale that week and buy this stuff! This also mean eat what's in season (look up a chart online of what is in season where you are located at different time of the year).

3 - eat less meat and buy said meat at costco. Sub meat for beans, lentils, eggs, when you do want meat buy a 1000 pound meat thing at costco and freeze it in smaller portions (example: buy the 10 pack of chicken breasts and separate them in bags of 2 chicken breast to thaw the night before you want them). Around here costco also has the packs of 4*0.5 kg ground turkey which are a good price, again freeze them and use them up later!

4 - Maybe rethink some of your recipes especially the smoothies (hemp seeds and chia seeds are ok but not the best way to get omega 3 for example (eat salmon instead)). Also if you don't already, buy that stuff in bulk at costco, buy frozen fruits in bulk or buy the berries on sale! Don't be afraid of healthy fat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another item to add to your costco shopping list is oatmeal. you can get rolled outs for about 20% the cost of the supermarket. i eat overnight oats nearly every morning for breakfast. approx equal parts oatmeal and almond milk, a little maple syrup for flavor. add some fruit if you like.

also, grab a bunch of veggies and you can roast some with some seasoning for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees, then cut the rest up and make some chili. either use a little meat or other forms of protein and you'll enjoy that. all for not very expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of talk of not avoiding fats and I definitely agree with things like olive oil, avocado, nuts etc. What is your take on the fat in meats, is getting the 99% lean turkey instead of 93% stupid? Same question with ground beef.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A person with more knowledge in nutrition would be better placed to answer this, sorry.

I get most of my fats from the sources you listed as well and usually go for lean or extra lean meats (I only eat red meet about once a week). I know draining the fat out of a ground beef after cooking helps a bit if you don’t want to buy the extra lean one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I don't eat out cause I'm too paranoud about how other people cook. I don't even eat at friend/family houses. I try to control 100% of what I need.

Maybe I am just screwed up in the head.

Yes, you are borderline eating disorder. Get help. Not joking. The long-term damage you are likely doing is irreversible. Get yourself to a dietician, a psychologist or both ASAP.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Diet on a Budget? Getting Expensive [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It's hard to believe how many don't understand that.

It's the power of the special interest groups brought to you by the sugar and "fat-free" food industry.

Absolutely True!
Just look at the average American and the rampant obesity over the past 20-30 years. The food lobby and our government that pushes high carb low fat should be ashamed!
Quote Reply

Prev Next