Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA hydration mess
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

So far I tested: the x-lab torpedo; the Thorhans AeroZ and now the Profile Design FC25 and after each race I did, my bike was just completely covered in sports drink....I think I lost like 30 min in transition to clean my bike before I could hang it up and start the run

Am I the only one who HATES bike cleaning? And how much time would I leave on the road going back to a simple Cage/bottle combo?

Opinions?

Thanks
U
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration mess [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there. Now all calories are in normal bottles behind seat or downturn with water BTA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a number of the BTA systems and eventually went back to a basic cage zip tied between the bars. Just swapping out regular bottles. Time saved/lost is negligible for most people. Seeing sticky crap dripping onto my bike raised my heart rate. What's the cost of that in a race. (pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the xlab torpedo, and use the solid cap, not the refil cap. When refilling I just flip it open, refill and close it again and assuming the roads not rough when refilling its's ok.

I also use a Profile aquacell. The internal bottle I have cut the bottom off so that it works as one bottle. The main bottles refill cap I have sealed just with some plastic under it so that it cant splash (or refill), the internal bottle is less prone to splashing and has the membrane inside it and the flap lid to help control it. I refil through that, but its not good when on rough roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have xlab torpedo and got a lot of splashing. At first I thought it was through the refill cap, but actually it was from the top of the straw. Hitting bumps compresses the main drink bottle and forces drops out the top of the straw.

If I pinch the valve so the liquid drains out of the straw after I drink - no more splashing.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you stopped to clean your bike during a race!

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only water bta

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took mine off too. Just have 2 traditionally placed bottle cages now. I use the Elite wire ones with gel grips that pro tour teams use on cobbles etc as grip the bottles well where carbon ones might eject bottles. Also I can place anything in them, even bottled mineral water if that's what they are handing out. It won't just slip straight through like a carbon design.

They are called Elite Ciussi cages if anyone is curious

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-ciussi-gel-bottle-cage/
Last edited by: InvictaScoop: Oct 28, 17 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration mess [InvictaScoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting. I have never seen cages like that. I wonder if I could put some kind of sticky rubber to the insight of my carbon cage.... but then again at 10 quid something it might be worth a try.
U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit off topic but did your AeroZ have the new Xflow3 "leak proof" cap from Torhans? I've been considering switching from a BTA bottle to the new version of the Aero30 but can't find any reviews to indicate if it really is any better than the old cap in terms of leaks.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration mess [Bpa400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought it in May so I assume it had the new cap. The Cap however wasn't the problem - that was tight. It was the straw that was not holding to the magnet. Whenever I hit a bump it would fall off and since the bite valve was not tight it sprayed all over my bike. In addition to that the straw was way too short. It killed my neck when I wanted to take a sip.

Look at the pic in the link below. I think a setup like that might work well for the AeroZ.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Photos/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Quintana_Roo/The_red_Roo_of_Matt_Hanson_j6608.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an xlab torpedo with the slotted cap and the bite valve. First time out it splashed all over me. I put a piece of electrical tape over the small air hole closest to me, and it’s been perfect since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno how aero it is, but I use the profile design aerodrink, have done so for years. As long as I don't fill it up to the brim, I don't have splashing problems. Attaching a cage between the bars shouldn't really slow you down any, as long as you don't have issues getting it out to drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XLAB Torpedo Kompact 100

I tried several other BTA cages and settled on that one. It comes with a bottle that doesn't leak. (Unless it's defective.) Other BTA solutions, I can think of about three well known ones, were just too flimsy. Kompact 100 isn't perfect. There should be two set screws on each side instead of one each. That'd make it perfect. But it works pretty well as is.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA hydration mess [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never mind what I said. That thing is a piece of shit. Launched two bottles straight ahead and almost ran over them on the last 4 miles of IMAZ bike loops returning to Tempe, one bottle on 1st loop and another on 2nd. The pavement there is kind of rough but not too crazy.

Edit: the cage flexes under the weight of a full bottle, which drops the bottle below the notch that's supposed to keep it in place, and opens a gap between the two plastic rings that are supposed to hold the bottle by friction.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Nov 22, 17 13:28
Quote Reply