Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race of my life tomorrow...tips?
Quote | Reply
Local Irish pub is holding a beer run tomorrow.
1.5 miles, 3 laps, 3 beers. Chug first beer (I imagine it will be a dark Irish brew), run first lap, chug second beer, run second lap, chug third beer, run third lap. Must finish beer before run. Now I pride myself on chugging ability - not so much running - but I am in the "speed/time" category...not wearing a costume. Taking this one seriously.

Any tips on how not to vomit? Race day strategies? Check in is at 2:30 and race starts at 4:30 so I can get in some pre race nutrition if I need to. The course is around a block, behind the buildings, going to be jumping curbs, etc.
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: Oct 27, 17 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have lunch around 11 then not eat again until after the race. When I did a beer mile the thing that made it hard was not so much the alcohol, but more so that you are taking in 48 oz of fluid in a 7 minute span. It's a lot of fluid to have in your stomach and in a short period of time and I felt more 'full' than anything and the 4th lap I could feel the fluid slosh around. So it's nice to have some room in there for all that liquid.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're going to puke and its going to be from the carbonation. Maybe ask for something from a cask instead of a keg. It would be a bit warmer and less carbonation.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is it will be Guinness and the pain will begin the first sip.

I plan on wearing a speedo. I want to be aero. I wont overheat and it will be quick drying. Also allow for maximal high knee flexibility when leaping over obstacles. Im going to wear a wristband on my right hand, so my drinking hand doesnt get sweaty and slick. Hand band for sure. I dont think i will need to gel as it is such a short race, but I might take in 1 or 2. My speedo may be pink and have flowers on it, but dont let that take away from how serious I am about this race.

and the fact that I am totally going to vomit. everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure someone records you, especially the last lap !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your competitive eating/drinking palmares?!

I've done my fair share over the years and my key to success is to start hungry and to finish before your stomach realises what's happening! I'd have a light breakfast and skip lunch; if you're starving hungry when you start, the first pint should barely register. And then it's basically a couple of pints with a bit of a jog in between; no problems!

Is it 1.5 miles for all three laps or 1.5 miles per lap?! I'm assuming the former because I reckon most of the general pub-going population would struggle to actually run 4.5 miles sober!
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
What's your competitive eating/drinking palmares?!

I've done my fair share over the years and my key to success is to start hungry and to finish before your stomach realises what's happening! I'd have a light breakfast and skip lunch; if you're starving hungry when you start, the first pint should barely register. And then it's basically a couple of pints with a bit of a jog in between; no problems!

Is it 1.5 miles for all three laps or 1.5 miles per lap?! I'm assuming the former because I reckon most of the general pub-going population would struggle to actually run 4.5 miles sober!

This is my very first beer mile ever. That being said - my father (in his college days) could chug a 6 pack - poured in 7 dixie cups - in 32 seconds. He actually beat the Guinness world record chugger at a pub after a work league baseball game one time (in the 90s). Now he doesn't drink but I try to carry on the legacy. I was a pretty esteemed chugger in my college years. I am 29, and dont drink much, but I feel I still got some left in me when the need arises.

I am hesitant on the empty stomach deal - it would make my night end quickly at the post race reggae party (Its Florida). I do not feel I could ingest solid post race food due to the shittyness I certainly will be feeling.

the race is 1.5 miles TOTAL. 3 laps. So 0.8 Kilometers per lap. It is going to be a dirty sprint full out.

I imagine I will blow away the competition as it is probably a lot of drunk college kids (2 colleges close by) all in costume. However, there may be some sneaky track athletes who are in fraternities. I just dont want to be surprised. Although I did watch a youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvrxqlOSpI

and learned the proper form of the "run and puke". He did it well and I feel I can learn some lessons.

Any other tips?

Take it slow at first and burp a lot or just go full out and suffer at the end? Socks, no socks? shave the happy trail or bomb the wild and wooly look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
and learned the proper form of the "run and puke". He did it well and I feel I can learn some lessons.

Any other tips?

Check the rules. Beer Run's typically have a penalty lap for vomiting on course. Try to hold it in to the finish.

Oh, and save the wear and tear on your razor and rock the wild jungle look. Anyone who shaves for a Beer Mile is clearly taking the whole thing too seriously, and should be subject to additional penalty laps plus the relentless scorn of their competitors.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did one beermile last year and am signed up again for 10th of November, the Belgian championship beermile even :)
Last year we had the Belgian TT champ (now European champ), the world champ duathlon (this year he was 2nd) and Rutger Beke who was 2nd in Kona a few years ago. They did not win. So it's definitely highly competitive if those guys show up and are not on the final podium.

My tips:
- definitely no huge amount of food before
- make sure the hand that opens the cans is not frozen/sweaty
- keep it in (penalty lap if you vomit in the "official" rules)
- so even if it is basically full out sprint until the next chug, be sure to actually slow down a bit so you are not breathing heavily instead of drinking. Can't drink if you are out of air.
- have fun? :)

EDIT: oh yeah, train burping while running, that might save you a lot of struggling.
Last edited by: tomdefietsbom: Oct 27, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is amazing. SO much good stuff in here. favorite post in a long time. good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strong post. Agree with the late lap slow down to facilitate maximal chugging. Otherwise let your sense of humor and speedo carry you. Looking forward to the race report!
Quote Reply
Re: Race of my life tomorrow...tips? [tall_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I aim to please the brethren of the twitch.

Some solid advice - and some from overseas too! Burping while running is going to be a troublesome endeavor for sure, especially if I am in the gray area of vomit.

I think I will do the wild and the wooly. Plus the ladies might love it (and if they hate it, they don't deserve to pet me anyway)

What would the beer of choice be if I get to choose? I imagine it is a 5% ABV beer...so a light pilsner or lager? Maybe perhaps a cider if I can grab one (as mentioned before the carbonation may ruin me), I just hope to hell it is not a dark dark float an iron on top beverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's Guinness you drink, it'll be much easier than a normal beer mile. It tends to have less carbonation and thus less gas in your stomach trying to come back up. We used Guinness for our beer miles in Doha because the rugby club gave us a good deal on it, and only had a few people vomit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck!!
Quote Reply