Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Young runners and heel / Achilles pain
Quote | Reply

My 12 year old daughter has recently joined a running club and significantly ramped up her running. In the last week she's moaning about sore heels and achilles pain. I wouldn't have thought that young kids would suffer from this sort of thing. Doctor Google suggests it might be something called Sever's Disease which is linked to kids growing quickly. She's certainly in a growth spurt this year.

Has anyone ever heard of this, is this a thing and if so what would be the best solution to it? I've read that cushioning the heels with silicone cups might work - is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance of your expertise.
Quote Reply
Re: Young runners and heel / Achilles pain [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like Severs disease. It is essentially a stress related injury of the calcaneal apophysis, a growth center that is not fused yet in 12year olds. The best treatment is rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s quite common for young runners to feel the affects of running. My son joined a very competitive run team at the age of 12. All his choice. He had no issues but he was the rare one. Virtually every kid had some sort of heel/shin pain. Rest was the big factor. When an athlete showed up in pain they were kept out of practice. Rarely did we see any kid out for weeks.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Young runners and heel / Achilles pain [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thebigturtle wrote:
It sounds like Severs disease. It is essentially a stress related injury of the calcaneal apophysis, a growth center that is not fused yet in 12year olds. The best treatment is rest.

^^This^^

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club. My son ran a 21' 5km in grade 6, started running with a club, 6 months later busted kee (Osgood-Schlatter) and achilles (Sever's). Now two years later he claims he hates running and sucks at it. Meanwhile his buddy, who he used to beat all the time, is a head taller than him and ran 17:42 2 weeks ago.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I learned raising my two kids and seen in others, is us adults either push or suggest they do things too young and too much.
I water skied all the time with my girls until one got a shoulder issue. Looking back, it was too much for a growing kid.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Young runners and heel / Achilles pain [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's hard to get the balance right. My other kid does no sport at all anymore which is also not ideal..

I guess a bit of rest and then a slow return to activity and we'll see how it goes.

I do note that almost all her training is intensity and Intervals which is different to the 80/20 that might be recommended for adult runners. Is this a concern for kids' running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to get the balance right. My other kid does no sport at all anymore which is also not ideal..

I guess a bit of rest and then a slow return to activity and we'll see how it goes.

I do note that almost all her training is intensity and Intervals which is different to the 80/20 that might be recommended for adult runners. Is this a concern for kids' running?

At 12 all intensity is recipe for disaster imo

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply