Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who still makes narrow rim aero wheels?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a set of aero wheels (700c clincher) for my Cervelo P4 (something like Zipp 808's in depth). The current crop of wide-rim wheels won't fit the P4, so I'm wondering who makes narrow-rim aero wheels. If the answer is that nobody does, does anyone know what year Zipp went to wider rims so I can try to track down some older Zipp wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Who still makes narrow rim aero wheels? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as Zipp goes, anything pre-Firecrest should be fine, except for the Sub-9. Zipp's website is being stupid, but archive.org has their wheel identification pages saved:

https://web.archive.org/...y/wheel_timeline.php
https://web.archive.org/...t/identify/discs.php

Zipp 900 will fit the P4 for sure (I have one). Zipp says the Super-9 also has clearance issues on the P4 but I think a few people have made it work.
Last edited by: spudone: Oct 26, 17 22:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED 3 is always a decent choice for the front.

You can also go period correct and do a Zipp 1080.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Oct 27, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As complete wheelsets there are the Campagnolo Bullet (also known as Fulcrum Red Wind) and the Citec 8000 Cx (maybe hard to find in the US)
On the rear you can put also a RENN 555 disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Who still makes narrow rim aero wheels? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to mention campag Bullet / Bora - not cheap though ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
according to damien R one of the brain childs behind the bike you can use pretty much any front wheel ( as wide as you want ) as fork tolerates many wheels
the rear frame was designed for a zipp 900 disc ie flat disc ( as somebody said renn disc and citec disk would work well)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used firecrests in my p4 front and rear without issue. You can only use 23mm in the rear and have to be selective in there (no conti gp 4k). I shave down the pads and run the brake about half open. Works great without rubbing.

I like the 23mm Victoria corsa speeds and the conti supersonic or TT in 23mm on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
I'm looking for a set of aero wheels (700c clincher) for my Cervelo P4 (something like Zipp 808's in depth).

I have a custom front FlashPoint 80 (Zipp 808 without dimples), White Industries hub, 16 CX-Rays. Cheap. PM if interested.

On the rear I'd suggest a disc cover unless they aren't allowed.
Last edited by: rruff: Oct 27, 17 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with a 2014 (I think?) Flo 30 on my P4 which fits, give or take the usual tinkering with the effing brake. I don't think they've changed the design of their carbon-alu wheels so their Flo 90 should work.

Also, I'm currently borrowing a Threesixtyfive 60mm which fits as well. They're a small Canadian wheel building company.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Oct 27, 17 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Who still makes narrow rim aero wheels? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don’t have any 21mm rims left. The 5-5-5 uses the 24mm rim now. It will still fit the P4.

Thanks, Frank
Renn Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You occasionally see the narrow Reynolds Strikes (called the Reynolds Six) at Performance for under $1000. 66mm deep and 21mm wide, iirc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used 404 firecrest, Hed s9 and other wide rims on the front of my p4. On the rear I think you can use any flat or lenticular disc with <24mm brake track. The Corima comes to mind, but also Mavic and Yoleo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
I'm looking for a set of aero wheels (700c clincher) for my Cervelo P4 (something like Zipp 808's in depth). The current crop of wide-rim wheels won't fit the P4, so I'm wondering who makes narrow-rim aero wheels. If the answer is that nobody does, does anyone know what year Zipp went to wider rims so I can try to track down some older Zipp wheels?

Before I traded in my 2011 model P4 for my P5, I used the original Zipp 900 clincher rear disc along with a 404 (non-Firecrest) on the front. Equipped with 23mm Conti gp4000sii on both. Needed to shave down the rear pads slightly....front had plenty of room. I also ran a set of Enve 8.9s with no problem as well.
Last edited by: gphin305: Oct 30, 17 13:47
Quote Reply