Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me an electric shaver
Quote | Reply
Thinking of ditching the foam and razor and going electric. Don't have a clue of what is out there, brand or type wise. What should I look for? Has anybody gone from foam and razor to electric? Is it better or more of a personal preference? Did you go back to foam and razor? Is it possible to use on in a shower?
Thanks...

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an electric shaver [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently ditched the fancy-pants Braun system I used for years for this thing from Philips.

I have the "Pro" version of this device ($80 with a few more bells & whistles), but I think this cheaper version here is what I should've gone with... I just use it as a daily shaver, and it works really well.

It's not a razor-close shave, but close enough -- and that actually works better for me, since I otherwise get ingrown hairs with a super close shave.

I'm getting better-than expected mileage out of the blades - even with daily shaving, I easily get a good 3+ months or so out of a blade.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an electric shaver [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Braun 7 series over a year ago based on advice from this forum and I'm happy with it. It doesn't shave quite as close as a razor but pretty darn close. I used to avoid shaving everyday with a razor due to the hassle, but I shave everyday now with the electric. I find the convenience is more than worth it. The Braun 7 has to be used dry.

In terms of the cleaning solution, I refill the solution with methylated spirits and a drop of oil to avoid the stupidly overpriced "official" cleaning solutions. I also remove the foil after every shave and shake out the hair before running it through the cleaning cycle, it reduces the amount of hair crud that ends up in the cleaning solution.

I don't know how to tell when the foil needs replacing but mine still seems fine after a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on a Braun

Electric is quick and easy, with a slightly less close shave.

The only time I have problems are in the summer when I am still sweating after showering. It doesn't work well on wet skin. I'll throw on some baby powder if it's really bad.

I'm on my 3 one in about 30 years. They last a long time. I replace the foil and cutter every so often if it starts feeling like it's pulling on the hair rather than cutting it. Eventually the battery starts going bad, you can run it corded for a while to extend the life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up the OneBlade on sale and it's amazing. I haven't used a razor blade since it arrived.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Braun for years and I believe it's as good as it gets for electric shavers, but since I've switched my beard style to a more intricate design I can't use it and have to use a blade. It seems for me really difficult to do any precision trimming around a beard or mustache with the Braun...not sure if other electrics are better. I have a Panasonic beard trimmer (much better than the Braun beard trimmer) that I use to control the length and trim the edges, and then I use a safety razor to get down to the skin.

So I think the Braun is great if you shave your whole face, but if you have any sort of beard or mustache to trim around you probably at least need to supplement it with something more precise.
Quote Reply