Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How different is your saddle brand/setback/height for TT versus Road bike
Quote | Reply
So I have done numerous pro fits and self fitting over the last 10 years and when all is said and done my TT and road fits are essentially identical in terms of saddle set-back, angle/tilt and height. I even use the same Hilo saddles on both bikes.

As a point of reference with the Hilo my set-back is 7cm from BB and saddle height is ~74cm. Set-back was closer 5cm with some other saddle choices.

I am wondering how common/uncommon this is and why some people use very different positions.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Oct 26, 17 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: How different is your saddle brand/setback/height for TT versus Road bike [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT is about 1.5 cm higher and 4cm farther forward.

Similar saddles, but not identical. roadie has a minimally padded Selle Italia SLR, TT has the SLR T1 (padded nose)..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How different is your saddle brand/setback/height for TT versus Road bike [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In relation to the BB? Very different, and I ride my road bike kinda steep. (Dash Tri.7 vs. Romin Evo Pro) You're a TT guy, correct? No tris?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have one bike, but I set it up for a TT-ish position this year. My road saddle is a Selle standard long nose saddle. My TT saddle is a ISM PR2.0.

Since I use a long-nose road saddle setback is hard to compare. But, effective seat-tube angle is 80 deg for TT and 76-ish for road. I worked this out by figuring where I ACTUALLY sit on the road saddle (where the sit-bones make contact), and matching this up with the same point on the ISM. If I used my road saddle in the TT position, I think the setback would be 0 or maybe 5mm forward of the BB.

I'm about 2cm higher from the BB in TT pos---although I think some of this is due to sitting on the end of the ISM and not on TOP, which allows the hips to rotate forward and DOWN.

My road saddle is dead flat across the top. My ISM is level at the rails which is downward sloped across the top by about 7deg.
Quote Reply
Re: How different is your saddle brand/setback/height for TT versus Road bike [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
In relation to the BB? Very different, and I ride my road bike kinda steep. (Dash Tri.7 vs. Romin Evo Pro) You're a TT guy, correct? No tris?

I have done some sprint stuff, but the knees are going south, so yes I am pretty much just going to be riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride and recommend historicallyforward saddle positions for aerobars, and traditional setbacks for road bikes. It is the hip angle, not the setback, that should be consistent between different styles of bike.

With a traditional road saddle on a road bike I am at about 7cm back with a 77cm seat height. Move that same saddle to a tri bike and I am going to be about 3cm forward, as I ride a noseless saddle about 2cm behind the bb with a 79cm seat height (shorter cranks) while in aerobars.

If your saddle and setback is the same between road and tri, one of your positions is way less than ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: How different is your saddle brand/setback/height for TT versus Road bike [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I ride and recommend historicallyforward saddle positions for aerobars, and traditional setbacks for road bikes. It is the hip angle, not the setback, that should be consistent between different styles of bike.

If your saddle and setback is the same between road and tri, one of your positions is way less than ideal.

I will have to look at the rotation and see how consistent it is. The funny thing is my FTP on the TT bike is only about 10 watts lower with really narrow elbows and I also don't find that I can make any more power on the road bike by moving back farther when climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the same saddle, ISM Road, on every bike I own. Additionally, they all get the same saddle height (830), the same setback (-25mm), and the same saddle angle (-5). I figure the lower half of my body is effectively the same across my bikes, but that may be because I tend to slam my drop bars.
Quote Reply