Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the 4 Runner. Good for everything [towing capacity] and more rugged than the Highlander. But, the Highlander is a nice second choice. Acura's are ok too -- if you are a soccer mom.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you require more space / 7 pax? If so, Mazda CX-9. If not, Mazda CX-5 might do you well...

Safe, reliable, efficient, well-built, and extremely well finished. The CX-9 is brand new, and the CX-5 is totally re-vamped for 2017. You get more power in the CX-9 with the turbo...

If you liked the advanced safety features of the Volvo, you'll like the Mazda's iActivesense suite of proactive safety features; they grew simultaneously during the Ford/Mazda/Volvo days and post-breakup, the crazy Swedes and crazy Japanese have evolved them to crazy levels...

I'm currently driving the CX-9, and love how a 3 row SUV handles like a sports-sedan...pretty cool...

*Disclaimer, I worked for Volvo for 7 years as a product trainer and currently work for Mazda as a training ambassador....
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chrysler Pacifica. A van beats an SUV every time! Yo know I love the van!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The main reason I want an SUV is so that I can tote my bike inside (instead of outside on a hitch) and/or carry a bunch of crap with me on one of my frequent road trips. I'd love to get a minivan but I have a very real dilemma in that department: I'm 30 and single. Any female I date will assume I already have kids (at least that's what all of my female friends tell me).

You have to lay down a bike in an SUV, but in a van it rides standing up. I bought a van for the lifestyle options (had no kids) as others have said and never regretted it. I bought the van specifically so my bikes could ride inside without removing anything. A van get better gas mileage, have more space, is more comfortable, is quieter, etc.
I am on my 4th van in 12 years and it is by far the best travel/road trip vehicle I have ever owned. I get the image - I really do - but that only matters to you if you let it.
At least give it a try before deciding. I am telling you, the convenience of a van is impossible to beat with an SUV.
Good luck, John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All 3 are great choices. All 3 are high quality, reliability and value for money. Probably because all 3 are built in non-union shops.
I might throw the Kia Sorento into the mix as well.

We have a Toyota Sienna and it absolutely rocks - Its helped make cross-continent road trips with a bike, 2 kids, a wife and a dog bearable and even fun.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
All 3 are great choices. All 3 are high quality, reliability and value for money. Probably because all 3 are built in non-union shops.
I might throw the Kia Sorento into the mix as well.

We have a Toyota Sienna and it absolutely rocks - Its helped make cross-continent road trips with a bike, 2 kids, a wife and a dog bearable and even fun.

YES! Another vote for the van. Get the Swagger Wagon!

Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are close to caving and getting a new odyssey. Been fighting it for a couple of years
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Wife and I are close to caving and getting a new odyssey. Been fighting it for a couple of years

I have been talking up vans for years here. Once you get it you will understand the beauty of it. It is the smartest choice you can make. I owned 3 Odysseys and now have my Pacifica. I am very happy with my Pacifica but you certainly cannot go wrong with the Odyssey.
JUST.GET.IT.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odyssey sucks for bikes. The bed area is too short and the seats don't tumble closed like sienna. I have to put the rear wheels between the back seats. So I can't fit a third bike without removing a seat. Previous van was a Sienna which was much better for bikes.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
4Runner if you want the only real SUV left on the market.

Other than that...Highlander.

This thread is now closed.

Talk a little more about this please. Year or two back some of you'd feedback on Tacomas helped get me looking at them and ended up buying one (love it still..my favorite ride thus far).

Mrs Skipjack just snagged a hefty promotion (one step closer to me attaining my life goal of being married to a suger momma) and is up for a new vehicle. Im pushing 4 Runner heavily and could use some more sales collatorale.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Talk a little more about this please. Year or two back some of you'd feedback on Tacomas helped get me looking at them and ended up buying one (love it still..my favorite ride thus far).

Mrs Skipjack just snagged a hefty promotion (one step closer to me attaining my life goal of being married to a suger momma) and is up for a new vehicle. Im pushing 4 Runner heavily and could use some more sales collatorale.

One other plus for the 4Runner, it is one of the last few vehicles made in Japan, the build quality and reliability are much higher than any of the other vehicles mentioned so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Duffy wrote:

4Runner is built on the Tacoma platform.

Ours is a 2015 and has all kinds of cool stuff like heated seats, hill descent control, third row seat, rear window roll down, blah blah blah.

Stereo is nice too.

Also, real 4 wheel drive (high and low with full four wheel hub lock up). Tell the wife that that is very safe for when the weather gets bad or the streets are covered in zombie corpses!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Duffy wrote:

4Runner is built on the Tacoma platform.

Ours is a 2015 and has all kinds of cool stuff like heated seats, hill descent control, third row seat, rear window roll down, blah blah blah.

Stereo is nice too.

Also, real 4 wheel drive (high and low with full four wheel hub lock up). Tell the wife that that is very safe for when the weather gets bad or the streets are covered in zombie corpses!

Heated seats and safety during the zombie apocalypse will seal the deal on this end. Thanks for the sales support!
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Long story short, my 23 month old Volvo is a lemon and Volvo NA is buying it back from me. I'm looking for a reliable mid-sized SUV. Here's my short list at the moment:
  • Honda Pilot
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Toyota Highlander

I'd love to hear feedback on these vehicles plus any others that I should consider. I'm also eyeing the Honda Ridgeline.

Based on reliability from Consumer Report, you should go with Toyota Highlander.

If you want a modern vehicle, stay away from anything built of a frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I purchased a used 2015 4Runner after test driving a new Highlander. OMG the Highlander is boring.

But I don't dig all the modern new tech. I want 4-wheel drive, not AWD. And knobs for the dash. Not too much touchscreen.

I'm turning into a fossil.

EDIT: The VERY BEST feature of the 4runner is you can roll down the rear window. NOBODY, no minivan, no other SUV, can top that.
Last edited by: fishgo: Oct 27, 17 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I purchased a used 2015 4Runner after test driving a new Highlander. OMG the Highlander is boring.

But I don't dig all the modern new tech. I want 4-wheel drive, not AWD. And knobs for the dash. Not too much touchscreen.

The Hybrid Highlander drives much better than the gasser IMO (and I say this coming from a turbo diesel). Not that it’s not a gussied up minivan- but it is more fun to drive with the electric motor.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
fishgo wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The Hybrid Highlander drives much better than the gasser IMO (and I say this coming from a turbo diesel). Not that it’s not a gussied up minivan- but it is more fun to drive with the electric motor.

Yeah, if you like boring. I don't mind vehicles that are a little rough around the edges, but cars that make every curve and bump pillow-soft? Boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently bought 2017 Honda Pilot for the wife. She's very happy with it. Price was good as well.

It is a big SUV, however, for what you describe as your needs/interests. We needed the 3rd row seating. Personally, if I were single and without kids, which I'm not, I would look for a smaller SUV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little smaller than you want, and it has its drawbacks, as does everything, but I test drove a ‘16 Forester XT. Holy heck i’m in love.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On our '15 Odyssey, you can get two Tri bikes in there standing up with the third row stowed and the second row only scooched a little forward. One on each side, front wheels pointed towards the center of the van. Bungie cord the head tube to the second row head rest posts. done.

"Yea, I got a minivan...and I know how to fill it..." <---worst pickup line ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Need SUV Recommendations (Turns Out My Volvo is a Lemon) [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's getting the third and fourth one in that's tough. Something I did routinely when I had a Sienna.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next