Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas?
Quote | Reply
So over the course of the last year or so I've been experiencing some tearing/ripping sensation on sole of my left foot (sometimes it will sting a little). It would linger for a few weeks then go away. However, lately I've been experiencing it more. My initial thought is that I'm stretching the plantar tissue but I don't have pain when I first wake up in the AM. I've been wearing Hoka Claytons. Any ideas what this might be?
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The foot is complicated. Need to talk more about the precise location of the pain.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop running through a roofing nail factory?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is your fasciitis for sure! get that pain all the time when I allow my foot to roll too much (over-pronate) or walking barefooted for a while like in the beach... I can walk arounf the house with no issues but in the sand and barefooted it begin to ache

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Nailed it!
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sensation you feel....that is old age.

Only thing that will help is a younger bf/gf who really just hangs out with you for your money. Also a new exotic sports car. That helps ease the pain a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Nailed it!

I was trying to hammer it home, but didn't want to be... tacky.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First place I always look to is age of your shoes. You said it’s been going on for a year so I’m guessing you’ve relplaced your shoes since it started. As for your particular shoe it may be the insole. Hoka has had issues in both years with their insole of the Clayton. Maybe your left foot is sensitive to the insole.

I would also look up the chain. If your hips are not level you may feel it in your hips your you may feel it in your feet. Personallly when my foot aches like that it’s because of my hips. I get them level and everything is fine.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you do to get them level?
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
The foot is complicated. Need to talk more about the precise location of the pain.

You spelled go see a Dr completely incorrectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I see it in athletes I work with have the problem, I generally send them to a chiropractor I trust. For myself personally I use that same chiropractor when I get stuck but really I go to YouTube and just do all the hip and glute routines I can find. Type in Hip Leveling and you’ll get quite a few different choices. I simply rotate through the choices on a regular basis.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anything that you are doing where you are curling your toes under? Like wearing flipflops, walking barefoot in sand or running in shoes that are too small? Like you, mine initially hurt only when running, never in the morning like is typical for PF pain.

I found the Hokas to smash my outer two little piggies, so I was unsconsciously pulling them in while running. Not a big deal at first, but after a couple of miles, my PF was in bad shape. Sized up a shoe and the problem went away. I also switched to a flatter dress shoe and that made a big improvement as well.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My feet have plenty of room in my Hokas. I wonder if I need more heel drop. Is it possible it took over a year before the Hokas caught up to me with my foot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was noticing some tearing sensation on my arch/sole when I switched from my Saucony Iso Hurricane to ON Cloudflyer (or whichever the stability shoe is called). It would come for a few seconds during runs esp when I changed direction or went up incline. No PF symptoms. I don't know but I think my foot was slipping as I was wearing thin socks. I switched back to some more cushioned socks and seems to be better thus far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:
My feet have plenty of room in my Hokas. I wonder if I need more heel drop. Is it possible it took over a year before the Hokas caught up to me with my foot?
I have found that my PF is less likely to flare up when I have a lower drop, especially in my daily shoes.

As for your shoes starting to bug you after a year, my indicator for when a shoe is worn out is when my PF starts to give me that pulling/tearing sensation in them. I would rather get rid of a pair of shoes than struggling through a few weeks with a PF flare up. Good luck with diagnosing your issue. There is a good chance that it has nothing to do with your running shoes, but is stemming from another part of your life.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

You spelled go see a Dr completely incorrectly.

That was my thought as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medical advise should be given by medical personal! Seal out a Podiatrist who is an athlete-
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Tearing sensation on sole of foot when running longer than 30 mins...any ideas? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Stop running

Great advice.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very similar issue. Mine is definitely my fasciitis - the outside (confirmed by dr). Mine started about 3 months ago when I switched from the Pegasus to the Vomeros. Still not convinced its my shoes but the pain got so bad one day during a 5k jog that I ended up limping for about 5 days. I took 2 weeks off completely from running and for the last few weeks I have been running on the treadmill only and have no pain. I am giving the road a rest for a while as I know my foot needs a while to recover from this kind of injury.
Last edited by: surferdude: Nov 2, 17 13:54
Quote Reply