Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy
Quote | Reply
For the record, I love this guy's writing. His on-air commentary is somewhat wanting, in my opinion, but his writing? First-rate.

Looks like he's now coming out and admitting that he may have used his powerful position while he was at ABC News to be a playah with the ladies, none of whom seemed to appreciate his advances.

Again: this is my shocked face. ;-)

Five women accuse journalist and 'Game Change' co-author Mark Halperin of sexual harassment - Oct. 25, 2017

"During this period, I did pursue relationships with women that I worked with, including some junior to me," Halperin said in a statement to CNN Wednesday night. "I now understand from these accounts that my behavior was inappropriate and caused others pain. For that, I am deeply sorry and I apologize. Under the circumstances, I'm going to take a step back from my day-to-day work while I properly deal with this situation."

MSNBC, where Halperin makes frequent appearances on "Morning Joe," said early Thursday that Halperin would leave his roles at that network and as an analyst at NBC News.

"We find the story and the allegations very troubling," MSNBC said in a statement. "Mark Halperin is leaving his role as a contributor until the questions around his past conduct are fully understood."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea who he is, but your ethical compass is off if you don't know that it's problematic to date or try to date people that you have power over.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Oct 26, 17 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
No idea who he is, but your ethical compass is off if you don't know that it's problematic to date or try to date people that you have power over.

I was being ironic, with a bit of sarcasm thrown in ("this is my shocked face"). Of course I know that. Refer to my Weinstein and EU Parliament threads for additional highlights.

Halperin's "Game Change" is probably the best book to come out about the 2008 presidential campaign's McCain-Palin pairing. He's a great writer and he's a fixture on the cable news nets. He did all this attempted tomcatting back when he was the political director for ABC News.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confused this guy with Ian Halperin who often boasts of his conquests and surely would be unapologetic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I was being ironic, with a bit of sarcasm thrown in ("this is my shocked face"). Of course I know that. Refer to my Weinstein and EU Parliament threads for additional highlights.

Halperin's "Game Change" is probably the best book to come out about the 2008 presidential campaign's McCain-Palin pairing. He's a great writer and he's a fixture on the cable news nets. He did all this attempted tomcatting back when he was the political director for ABC News.

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean "you" in particular, I meant people in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
Confused this guy with Ian Halperin who often boasts of his conquests and surely would be unapologetic.

Well, at least this Halperin is apologetic. Though only after someone dropped a dime on him. But an apology is an apology, amirite? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean "you" in particular, I meant people in general.

Oh, people in general are a-holes and pr*cks. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

a-freakin'-men!

i agree that people, in general, are a-holes and pr*cks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

a-freakin'-men!

I'm always surprised by comments like this. Where do you live? The vast majority of people I interact with everyday are just normal, pretty courteous, decent acting people. I would say it's rare on any given day that I interact with anyone who I would describe as behaving like an asshole or prick. It happens, usually when driving, but it's by no means even a daily occurrence to encounter just one person like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Madduck wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

a-freakin'-men!

I'm always surprised by comments like this. Where do you live? The vast majority of people I interact with everyday are just normal, pretty courteous, decent acting people. I would say it's rare on any given day that I interact with anyone who I would describe as behaving like an asshole or prick. It happens, usually when driving, but it's by no means even a daily occurrence to encounter just one person like that.

You're describing the difference between individuals with whom you interact and the kinds of a-holes and pr*cks they can be when they're part of a general mass of people. "Wisdom of the crowd," my @ss. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing that Halperin wasn't talking locker room stuff, off record, to another journo buddy. That would be real naughty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, I thought sexual harassment and assault didn't happen very often any more and the whole #MeToo wasn't needed an was pointless. Women aren't reluctant to come forward, they don't need to know it happens a lot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty surprised by this. I watch Morning Joe daily, or listen to the audio during my commute, and he's by far the most level headed and unemotional of the bunch (which I admit isn't a very high bar). He just doesn't seem like the type.

There was all of 8 or 10 seconds' mention of it during today's show. Mika did describe it as "over a decade ago" which seemed to me an attempt to minimize its relevance or importance.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Good thing that Halperin wasn't talking locker room stuff, off record, to another journo buddy. That would be real naughty.

I didn't vote for the gentleman to whom you're referring, nor am I one of his defenders, which should be obvious by now.

Johnson/Weld 2016.

The rest of you screwed the pooch as far as I'm concerned. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Veteran Journo Mark Halperin, You Naughty Boy [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I was pretty surprised by this. I watch Morning Joe daily, or listen to the audio during my commute, and he's by far the most level headed and unemotional of the bunch (which I admit isn't a very high bar). He just doesn't seem like the type.

There was all of 8 or 10 seconds' mention of it during today's show. Mika did describe it as "over a decade ago" which seemed to me an attempt to minimize its relevance or importance.

I'm always fascinated by the public and private personas of people of some renown. If I recall, the LA Dodgers' Steve "Mr. All-American" Garvey was apparently a hardcore womanizer in his private life, despite coming off as Mr. Moral Majority out in public.

We already know about the Kennedys, of course. Especially Ted. Who was "the lion of the Senate." In that, like a lion, he mated at will and killed without remorse. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I call this 2012 tweet by Marky Mark a bit ironic, wouldn't you say? ;-)

Quote Reply