Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin activities on multiple devices
Quote | Reply
Recently bought a Fenix 5 after my Fitbit died, and am generally loving it.

Only frustration I have is that it doesn't seem to play nicely with the Edge 1000 on my bike. If I just use the Edge to record a ride then the Fenix doesn't update with any of the data, so features like Recovery and Training Load become inaccurate (I know some people think these aren't that useful anyway, but I do want to track them and see if I can get some value). On the other hand, if I record the ride on both the Edge and the Fenix then I get duplicate rides showing up on Garmin Connect (though Strava seems smart enough to figure out what's going on and ignores the second ride).

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or is that just how Garmin works? I still want to use the Edge for riding, since I like having lots of data on the bigger display, plus I use the navigation a lot. But I also want to get the full benefit of all the features on the Fenix. Right now it seems the only way I can do so is by recording rides on 2 devices and then manually going into Garmin Connect to delete one of them afterwards. Surely it can't be that hard for Garmin Connect to either consolidate 2 rides into 1, or better still just allow me to record it on the Edge and then upload the ride into the Fenix so that it can update Training Load and Recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin activities on multiple devices [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin devices are pretty much one way in this regard. They send data out and don't take any in.
Just record the workout on both, then delete one on GC.

(Or disable the recovery adviser, because as you suspect, it is rather worthless. You can always add all your workouts to TP, GC, WKO and get some combined stress chart which may be marginally better.)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin activities on multiple devices [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm aiming for a swim/run focus in the next 6 months anyway, will likely only be doing ~2 rides a week for maintenance so I guess I can cope with deleting them!

Maybe by the time I start cycling again seriously I'll have decided not to bother with those features, though have to say that when using the more basic Recovery Advisor just on the Edge I did find it somewhat informative. It overestimates my recovery time by a factor of 2 (the Fenix already seems to be much better at this - seems to actually learn about me and adapt), but the recovery indicator when you're 12 minutes into a ride is generally spot on. Which is useful since most of the time it affirms and reinforces what my body is telling me, and it occasionally makes me rethink a workout (sometimes backing off a bit, sometimes actually going harder).

I don't train with power outside (hopefully will change that at some point, but need to let the wife forget about the Fenix purchase first!), so find TP to be of fairly limited use and I'm already paying too many subscriptions so was hoping a purely HR-based approach to load might offer me some value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of your ride just click "Discard" instead of save on your Edge. Then only 1 will upload to GC/TP etc. Or am I missing something else that you want to use the data recorded on the Edge for?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin activities on multiple devices [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, amazingly I hadn't thought of that! I guess pressing Save 500 times has brain washed me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Recently bought a Fenix 5 after my Fitbit died, and am generally loving it.

Only frustration I have is that it doesn't seem to play nicely with the Edge 1000 on my bike. If I just use the Edge to record a ride then the Fenix doesn't update with any of the data, so features like Recovery and Training Load become inaccurate (I know some people think these aren't that useful anyway, but I do want to track them and see if I can get some value). On the other hand, if I record the ride on both the Edge and the Fenix then I get duplicate rides showing up on Garmin Connect (though Strava seems smart enough to figure out what's going on and ignores the second ride).

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or is that just how Garmin works? I still want to use the Edge for riding, since I like having lots of data on the bigger display, plus I use the navigation a lot. But I also want to get the full benefit of all the features on the Fenix. Right now it seems the only way I can do so is by recording rides on 2 devices and then manually going into Garmin Connect to delete one of them afterwards. Surely it can't be that hard for Garmin Connect to either consolidate 2 rides into 1, or better still just allow me to record it on the Edge and then upload the ride into the Fenix so that it can update Training Load and Recovery.

I always use both my Fenix and Edge for rides, and never sync the rides from the Edge. I have the Edge setup so that it doesn't autosync, and when I do need to manually sync the Edge for a firmware update, I just delete all of the rides before doing so and that way I don't wind up with duplicate entries.
Quote Reply